universal garden tractor cab

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Tom4981
First and Last Name: Tom Wilson

universal garden tractor cab

Post by Tom4981 »

Does anyone have any suggestion on a universal cab for a Cub 102, would be nice to get one for snowblowing this winter.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: universal garden tractor cab

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome Tom. I'm thinking that could b a hard find. What do u have a qa36 ? I would think a 42" would b a little much in Michigan for a ten HP. Good luck on the cab. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom4981

Post by Tom4981 »

I agree dag1450 a 42" would be a bit much up here for a 10 hp. as far as the Cab go's, if I can't find one by next year I'll make one...

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Alot depends on where in Michigan. If you get lake effect(dry and fluffy....hmmm, new names for Tom and Dave) or inland and get system snow(wet and heavy) will make all the difference. Either way a creeper is mandatory to save your clutch.
I had a cab and got rid of it. I would rather use the shoot and the wind to keep the snow going where i want it.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

What r u a weather man now?
Ok...Tom will b "dry".....i will b "fluffy". Mike u will b "wet n heavy" :lol:

Tom4981

Post by Tom4981 »

BigMike wrote:Alot depends on where in Michigan. If you get lake effect(dry and fluffy....hmmm, new names for Tom and Dave) or inland and get system snow(wet and heavy) will make all the difference. Either way a creeper is mandatory to save your clutch.
I had a cab and got rid of it. I would rather use the shoot and the wind to keep the snow going where i want it.
Yuuup got a creeper in the 102 and a new clutch, we get about 180" of lake effect snow a year. The wife and I love love those white outs in the winter :lol:

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Tom4981 wrote:Yuuup got a creeper in the 102 and a new clutch, we get about 180" of lake effect snow a year. The wife and I love love those white outs in the winter :lol:
You are a sick person :lol:
Where in Mi are you?

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I would love to have people weigh in on there experience w cub cabs. I do my fair share of snow moving in heavy storms w a backhoe..... normally about 12-18 hours per storm. My machine has all the whisles and bells....heat, air and vents on about every window possible. What im getting at is for the first 30-40 minutes the windows like to fog up.....and if it's a blizzard or snowing......the fog last a long time and sometimes it's all I can do do see out.
This might not b an issue if there is no heat.....but breathing could cause it too. Just wondering :beer:

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I have a cab on my current winter rig. No fog on the glass unless the temperature outside changes real fast. I had a heater when I ran the 1641 for winter duty, no real issue with fog then either. With a blade a cab isn't as much of an item as it is with a big thrower. Get into a bunch of fluffy snow with some wind and you get covered REAL fast. Yes you can dress for it but the cab means you don't need to look like the Michelin man to move the snow.

Another reason I have the cab relates to safety. I blow snow at the edge of a highway. With the cab I can mount warning lights and work lights up higher so I can see and be seen. Blowing snow at night the stock headlights don't fare that well between the chute in the way and blowing snow you can't see very well. Plus, and it might be a stretch, being it's a steel cab I think I might be better off in the event I did get hit. It has to be better than being hit directly to the body.

As for a "universal cab" about the only ones I can think of would be the ones like they sell for the Craftsman tractors. Those are sort of a clear plastic tent that hangs from a simple frame.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Sounds like the cub cabs work better than mine. I think w mine any moisture that I track in evaporates then finds its way to the cold glass.
Tom....a build sounds fun. Wood would b the easiest. I saw a cool.thread a few years back....and the guy really used the fenders as the platform. U could find your self another set of rear fenders and use those to screw or weld to. I want to follow this so let's get started :lol:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Tom - Welcome to our forum here!

There have been some cab threads on here over the years. That should give you an idea of what has been sold over the years, might give you an idea of what to look out for on CL. Even if you decide to punt and build from scratch, reviewing how other cabs were built will help. If you go for it, make sure you start a thread and give us lots of pics as you go!

dag - I am betting your heater doesn't draw outside air into your cab. When Japanese cars first became popular in the US, you could always tell who thought it was a good idea to use the "recirculate" control during the winter. You would see them driving around all fogged up. The US cars never had a manually controlled recirculate function, because they knew that you didn't want to recirculate air in cold weather. US cars traditionally only used recirculation on "Max AC" when there would be no chance of fogging up.

Even in the wettest cold winter conditions, the relative humidity of the air drops when heated and is very dry, much drier than the air you are exhaling and fogging the windows with.

Now new US and Japanese cars alike still have a recirculate button, but from what I have seen it won't activate in conditions that would fog the windows.

You need outside air coming in. The most comfortable way would be a duct from the outside feeding the heater, so the cold outside air isn't making you uncomfortable. Otherwise, an exhaust fan or inlet fan anywhere would have the same effect, outside air would be drawn in which is much drier than your snow covered body and exhaled breath.

The negative of an exhaust fan is that you can't control where the outside air will come in at. You want to make sure you aren't inadvertently drawing air from the engine area that could have carbon monoxide in it.

Lastly, just cracking a window could be enough...
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

dag1450 wrote:I would love to have people weigh in on there experience w cub cabs. I do my fair share of snow moving in heavy storms w a backhoe..... normally about 12-18 hours per storm. My machine has all the whisles and bells....heat, air and vents on about every window possible. What im getting at is for the first 30-40 minutes the windows like to fog up.....and if it's a blizzard or snowing......the fog last a long time and sometimes it's all I can do do see out.
This might not b an issue if there is no heat.....but breathing could cause it too. Just wondering :beer:
Keep the windows squeaky clean! Dollar General used to have a fantastic no-fog window cleaner, but the company that produced it for them decided not to for some reason... $$$ I'm sure.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Good to hear the cub cabs work well. Thanks for the tips guys. I will have to ck out how my system works......and I think I will make a small investment into an anti fog. Years ago I did the shaving cream on my bathroom mirror....it worked but it was a pain to do.

jcsmith
First and Last Name: John Smith

Post by jcsmith »

If you're still looking for a universal cab, you could check with Jim's repair/Jim's tractors. He offers a soft sided one that claims to fit many garden tractors.

Chris
As you slide down the banister of Life, may the splinters point in the right direction

JSheehe
First and Last Name: Jim Sheehe

Post by JSheehe »

BigMike wrote:Alot depends on where in Michigan. If you get lake effect(dry and fluffy....hmmm, new names for Tom and Dave) or inland and get system snow(wet and heavy) will make all the difference. Either way a creeper is mandatory to save your clutch.
Hey Big Mike, just wanted to let you know that the cab is still warm and dry in my garage. :beer:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I just re-read this thread and saw that I missed Mike's "Dry and Fluffy" quip!... :-x I guess I would rather be dry than the other choices (especially wet and heavy, that just doesn't sound comfy!) :lol:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Tom4981

Post by Tom4981 »

Here's a update on the Cab.......A member here offered to sell me a soft cab......here's some photos installed......I removed the LED light bar and installed 2 55 watt Halogen lights.....The LED worked nice but won't melt the snow.
Attachments
100_6331.JPG
100_6331.JPG (682.29 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
100_6330.JPG
100_6330.JPG (769.08 KiB) Viewed 7218 times