Repower 782 with M18

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
mfowler
First and Last Name: Michael Fowler

Repower 782 with M18

Post by mfowler »

I am repowering my 782 using a M18 to replace the KT17. Pretty straight forward as they are basically the same engine--except the M18 has magneto rather than point ignition, and the M18 has a remote oil filter.
Can someone post a picture of where the remote oil filter mounts? I have the mount and the hoses, so I know about where it goes because the hoses pretty much limit my choices. It would be helpful if I had a picture of the factory location and orientation.

Thanks.

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Re: Repower 782 with M18

Post by stevet »

Mike, there should be a slot/bolt hole in the right side of the fire wall that the filter mounts to. Swap the 782 fire wall with the other one and you should be good to go! :beer:

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

The fire wall can also be drilled 2 bolt holes. Like Steve said down low right side. It's a tight fit when changing the filter but it really isn't that bad.... Also don't forget to add the relay to ground out the mag when off rather then powering the coil when on!

mfowler

Post by mfowler »

I already got the correct ignition switch that grounds the magneto when "off". Starts and stops on the key.
Swapping the wiring harness was a chore---would have been simpler to keep my old harness and change the ignition switch and wire to mag.

mfowler

Post by mfowler »

Cub 782 Oil filter.jpg
Cub 782 Oil filter.jpg (64.48 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Found one. Helps with correct hose routing, too.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Looks real nice...from the little glimpse u r showing us. What happened to the old engine... Where did u find the replacement engine? Sorry...it's just nice to know some background. ;)
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

mfowler

Post by mfowler »

It IS a nice picture, but that's not mine. Its a pic I found on line to guide my filter and hose installation.

Engine came from a fellow member here--Steve, in White Hall, MD--look up a few posts.