HYDRO Transmission Fan 20 questions

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
planejeff
First and Last Name: Jeff McDonald

HYDRO Transmission Fan 20 questions

Post by planejeff »

On my 129 I have a broken transmission fan. How important is the fan to the operation of the tractor? I want to know is there a wrong way to install it or does it matter? Once it is installed how long do they last? I am curious why is it plastic instead of metal? :?:

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: HYDRO Transmission Fan 20 questions

Post by Klapatta »

Jeff, consider it as a vital component for keeping the hydro pump cool. It's a mere 15 dollar item from your Cub Cadet dealer, so I can't see bothering with anything else.
The replacement fan is made from a high impact nylon based material and is very durable, probably much tougher than anything produced four decades ago.
While your at it now is the time to clean around the pump, remove all excess dirt and grass clippings to improve cooling.
Consider that all cooling fans on modern cars and heavy trucks are now made from plastic. Install it and call it done.

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

Yes there is a right way to install the fan. Download the service manual for your tractor from this site and in there is a photo of the correct way and location to install it.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

mortten
First and Last Name: Doug Anderson

Post by mortten »

Those fans like to walk on the shaft and hit things. After I get the fan in position I put a couple wraps of electrical tape on the shaft before and after the fan. Helps keep it where it belongs.

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

I'll stand in for the devil here... Because I went through this same thing two decades ago.

The narrow-frame hydros used to have a 'loop' of oil pickup going from the bottom of the trans case up to the 15U hydrostat... it made a run around the driveshaft, and back down under the 15U, for the purpose of enhanced cooling. Since the pickup fitting sizes are different on the NF hydro, when I built my Loader-mutt, I considered using an NF transaxle specifically for the additional cooling loop. When I built Loader-Mutt, the original driveshaft mod plan was to include a cooling fan on the hydro-side U-joint, and I figured I'd make a 'custom' fan to clamp to the U-joint body.

I asked Harold Schramm, who said he wasn't involved in the hydro at this point, but he said that this loop was eliminated on the WF tractors, because it wasn't found to be necessary, and was probably responsible for the Hy-Tran not warming up enough to shed moisture from the sump.

So I took his advice and did some testing. I did some bucket work (moving sand) and found that temperature rise on the Hy-Tran was no different than running my 109 with original fan, with a single-bottom 12" Brinly plow in unbroken ground.

I ran Loader Mutt for 15 years with no cooling fan, and the only issue I EVER had with the transaxle, was when I buried the extremely-ballasted, fluid-filled 26-12-12's in stiff soil, and stuffed the blade deep into a half-frozen pile of dirt, and twisted the right axle shaft in half. The hy-tran has NEVER had a problem... ever... and the 15U has never needed any work... it's is still strong enough to twist off another axle shaft, with no complaints.

In retrospect, I've found more plastic fans busted off, more metal fans wrapped around the shaft, and the tunnels plugged with all sorts of dirt and grass, and I've seen hydrostats with cooling fins caked totally full with mud and crap... but I've never seen a cooked-out 15U hydrostat.
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

A testimony to how well built/overbuilt these tractors are. Try that with today's Cubs and see what happens.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow