Sleepers awake, wheelies axles break...

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Sleepers awake, wheelies axles break...

Post by DaveKamp »

Hey all!

Well, after about nine years asleep in the barn basement, I fired up the 109. I needed something small and maneuverable to drag the spike-harrow around what will soon be my kids' soccer field... an area that wasn't much 'flat' BEFORE they dug in the new septic field, and sure-as-heck didn't get no flatter AFTER.... :roll:

So it woke up in a cloud of old fogging oil. Needed a fuel line and points cleaned, used a borrowed battery, and had'ta air up the front tires. Demanded choke, so I drove it up the hill to the driveway, shut it down, dropped the carb bowl and cleaned out the main jet, reassembled and it ran much better. I decided to take it on a simple exercise drive around the farm... and realized I'd driven into a dead-end in the driveway. Backed up, and after doing so, forgot how TOUCHY the direction/speed lever was... jerky-bouncin' around, and knocked the lever about half forward, which with the 109's engine wrapped up fairly good, sent it looking to the sky...and me bouncing back into the seat, pulling the lever back, slamming the front end back to the ground and BANG!...

Broken front axle. @Q#$%GA!!!!~ :evil:

Shut down, got forklift, and carried my injured iron friend to the garage.

Y'know, I USED to have about a half-dozen of these axles in my railcar-shed... 'till last fall, when I emptied said shed and started tearing it down...

I sent a quick message to Marlin Hormrighausen (sp?), who jumped right up and got one sent back to my doorstep... sitting there Wednesday afternoon. In 25 minutes, I had the old one out, new one in... then break for dinner. Within an hour after dinner, I drove it out, and parked it in the back.

So this is a GREAT BIG HUGE THANK YOU!!! To Marlin. You're a Gem, SIR! ;)
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.