Elecric lift on a 100/

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Elecric lift on a 100/

Post by chzuck »

Has anyone on here installed an electric lift on a Cub 100? I have all the components from a Cub 147, except the switch and frame bracket. I would need a photo and dimensions of the bracket from someone who has one mounted on a narrow frame other than a 147. I have seen a photo of a 127 and the bracket looks like a flat piece of steel bolted to the frame.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Elecric lift on a 100/

Post by ksanders »

I had one on a 73 once. Been years but if I recall the 73 already had holes in the frame for it. The 100 I believe needs holes drilled for the bracket. I don't remember any modifications when I did it. It just wasn't strong enough for a tiller or plow like a hydraulic lift. I even had spring assist and it lifted it but slowly. Great for grass cutting as it would hold its position and not leak. Sorry I don't have pictures. Seems like the manual has instructions on that or something but it's been years.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

My memory is not what it used to be, but I thought I had plowed with my 147 with an electric lift years ago. I found I would sooner plow with a gear drive. Getting older and weaker and I have an extra electric lift plus I don't feel like shelling out the big $ for hydraulic. I will put the plow on the 147 and see how it does lifting.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

The hydro lifts are not very far out of reach as compared to the electric lifts and the hydro lifts are what the machine was opted with. And someone would probably want your electric lift however you would need to find that buyer first.
While I have never owned a machine with an electric lift, my understanding is there is no such thing as an over travel mechanism within that allows disengagement causing the internal gear to strip a tooth or two, so it is not a fail safe design in my opinion. It is an expensive repair when they do so weigh your options is all I'm saying. When properly operational the hydro lifts are both very fast and powerful, one could do no wrong going that route.
Also flipping a lever happens to be more fun than a jiggle switch :lol:

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Klapatta wrote:While I have never owned a machine with an electric lift, my understanding is there is no such thing as an over travel mechanism within that allows disengagement causing the internal gear to strip a tooth or two, so it is not a fail safe design in my opinion. It is an expensive repair when they do so weigh your options is all I'm saying.
I agree with the expensive repair. I did strip that gear, but then I found that later Cub offered what I call a slip clutch that made it a fail safe design. Basically it is a friction adjustment on the end of the shaft that allows the whole extendable shaft to rotate when at its limit.

The hydraulic unit has its problems as far as parts if needed (pump gears). Finding a buyer for an electric unit and finding a hydraulic unit is no small task!

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I trust that you have the rocker shaft assembly along with the lift. I would but assume that they would be a direct interchange.
DSCN7117.JPG
DSCN7117.JPG (169.56 KiB) Viewed 6511 times
The mount bracket differs in this image from what you describe however given that this is for a tall tower frame (this a 107, item #12) I would think that it would be within reason to fabricate one from flat plate as no such part was ever made at the factory from what my book is showing me. Not to say that such a retrofit package was ever offered.
Were you want to proceed, I'd myself mount the rocker shaft in place, mock up the position of where the lift is best suited, and cut out a cardboard template to your liking and go from there fabricating with steel. Since you mention that a flat plate is all that's needed I would think the process would be pretty straight forward and painless, I don't think that all that much work would be involved once you have established where your going with your template. Good luck.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

I was thinking I could measure the hole locations on my 147, since they are both narrow frame. I did locate a bracket but the shipping is almost as much as the bracket. I will give Ray Weaver a call, because I would need the switch and wiring. I do have the rockshaft.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Your 147 frame could well provide a good base line of information but consider any dimensional differences as you do.
The higher tower may or may not play into things as a factor but of course that would be easy to determine with the machine parked right in front of you.
Consider also the frame notches that the 147 has to accept the larger flywheel.
The 147 came with a electric lift as standard not an accessory and the lift mounting boss was built into the frame, a dimension could be taken directly from off of that I would think.
Here's hoping that you don't unnerve any of the purists out there :lol: Still and all, I kinda like the one off types, it increases the pucker factor :P

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Ken, it's like this. I am getting older and weaker and I have this extra E lift and most of the components. Makes sense to me to at least try it. The only harm done will be 3 extra holes for the bracket and 1 for the switch, which I will mount down on the right side of the pedestal so I don't harm the main panel.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Charlie
I was looking for you at Plow day this weekend. I'm guessing the rain held you off. While I was there early in the morning I found an electric lift from a 127. The seller told me at work and the price was fair. My 126 needs a lift as my shop told me it was at its last rebuild. This one came with The mount you need! Shot me a PM I think I have a switch too...
Attachments
IMG_3147.JPG
IMG_3147.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 6472 times
IMG_3148.JPG
IMG_3148.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 6472 times

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Joe, you seem to know a lot about these. Please enlighten me. Does this bracket use the same carriage bolt that retains item # 13?
If it does, hookup would be a breeze.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Charlie, I went looking around. I have the part necessary to convert any narrow frame rocker shaft into a 147 style rocker shaft should you need it. It must be welded on as was done at the factory.
This was cut off and left over from my 126 hydro lift project as it was not needed for that application.
DSCN7118.JPG
DSCN7118.JPG (256.17 KiB) Viewed 6459 times
DSCN7119.JPG
DSCN7119.JPG (247.3 KiB) Viewed 6459 times
You can have it if you want as I'll not need it, covering the shipping is all I'd ask, send a pm if you think you could use it.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ken
No, 13 is like 10 inches away. It bolts on near the fly wheel.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Joe,
I was attaching the mower deck this Morning when I noticed the bolt holes. There are nuts welded on from the inside of the frame.
DSCN7120.JPG
DSCN7120.JPG (301.58 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
These must be the ones.
That parts diagram is very confusing, it shows the bracket just above #13.

Charlie, I can get you dimension locations should you require them. :)

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Ken, dimensions would be great!
It is great how this is coming together. One member has the bracket I need and another one has the dimensions where it gets bolted.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Here you go Charlie.
Dimensions are taken from off the CENTER LINE of the CLUTCH, BRAKE shaft.
DSCN7129.JPG
DSCN7129.JPG (180.59 KiB) Viewed 6430 times
There's a third hole at the bottom of the frame as well however spotting that one will be easy once the first two holes are established.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Very nice! Thanks much. I saved your photo to my PC. Later this summer I hope to mount the lift. Shortly the 100 will be doing lawn mowing duties until I get the 147 hydro gasket replaced and some other maintenance completed. I have purchased that bracket from Joe, then I will have all the parts needed to do the job. :D