Can't find starter on CC 1712

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ebax
First and Last Name: Ed Baxter

Can't find starter on CC 1712

Post by ebax »

It's been a while since I last posted, but I need help today. My CC 1712 was running just fine. Then I turned the ignition key and all I heard was a whir from the starter. It sounds like the starter drive is not engaging the flywheel. I looked for the starter but can't find it. No kidding! This is easy on my CC 124, but I'm stuck here. Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem might be or how to get at the starter so I can check.

Ed

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: Can't find starter on CC 1712

Post by JMotuzick »

Ed
Left side under the engine. You
Need to pull the engine to pull the starter!
If it has happened before, you might be able to get in there with a long screw driver/pry bar and free it up. There is a thread going now about the M18 starters. These are the same set up. You might want to do a full clean down like the two dave's have been doing....

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Yep....that is a tough one. I dealt with that for a whole summer.... multiple quick turns of the key normally got me started. Try charging your battery up real good. Idk if a weak battery can sometimes cause that problem. A full battery might b enough to over power the sticky gear.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Or you could be like the former owner of a 782 i had and use a hammer and a long screwdriver and whack the starter when it doesn't work.....to the point that the magnets were in pieces.

ebax
First and Last Name: Ed Baxter

Post by ebax »

Thanks for the helpful replies. Yesterday afternoon I turned the key and the engine cranked over just like normal. I'm hoping that it will continue starting. The 1712 is a wonderful tractor. Maybe self-healing is one of its magical properties. Thanks again.

Ed

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Ed - If you have to yank the engine to fix it, it's not a bad job. It's one of those jobs you stress over because you don't want to do it. Once you bite the bullet you find that it is out and on a nearby bench in no time.

Don't even consider trying to get to anything behind the engine tin with the engine in the tractor. You'll just bend it up and get frustrated!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><