The joy of an Original

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
mfowler
First and Last Name: Michael Fowler

The joy of an Original

Post by mfowler »

I haven't used my Original for several years. The 127 has been my mainstay--at least until I rebuild the engine in the 782. But yesterday, the 127 lost the mule drive belt when I was about half done mowing my little acre. I charged up the battery on the Original, checked the fluid levels, filled the gas tank, and turned on the gas valve. It started right up! I completed the mowing with it.
What a JOY! Yes, it is a little slow, but 7 HP can actually get the job done. I had forgotten how nimble the Original feels, and how light the steering; a delight to drive it, again.
I still will repair the 127 and the 782, and re-retire the original, but it was good to be reminded how good the Original actually was.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: The joy of an Original

Post by Tom Scott »

It's always neat to re-discover how much you like something you've put away for awhile. Thanks for the share!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

mfowler

Post by mfowler »

Yes!

I see from your picture you are maintaining a gravel road. Are you using the Cub for that? I have an old farm road...lots of pot holes and very hard-packed gravel. I have thought about installing a three point hitch and using a box blade. but I have doubts that I would be able to break up the hard-packed gravel. Just re-filling the pot holes doesn't work. Are some box blades more substantial than others, and would hold up to that service?

RandyLittrell
First and Last Name: Randy Littrell

Post by RandyLittrell »

My OCC is my favorite! Something special about them.

They will do a lot of things the bigger cub will, just a little slower. Need to put some weight on the wheels though.

Randy

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Michael - You need this thread in the Coffee Shop! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6402&start=30

Our Jess Laws started a good discussion of Brinly vs. Agri Fab for box blades. Jess then bought a new one and modified it right out of the box for heavier duty work. I had been wanting a box blade as well and he pushed me over the edge to follow his lead.

Although I have a Cat 0 three point, I used my A frame adapter to use the Brinly as it is a sleeve hitch mount. It works great as a sleeve hitch attachment, so it is nice it can be used with either a Cat 0 or sleeve hitch. Let us know if you go for it!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

mfowler

Post by mfowler »

Thanks for the link.
I will be reading.