White seat

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
kbkchooch
First and Last Name: Karl N Bond

White seat

Post by kbkchooch »

Hello all!
Now that I am starting down this road to restore "Dads" 1967 123 1 thing has bothered me. Mechanical parts I can find, paint, decals and accessories too. But the one part that I really want to get replaced/restored I can't find, and that is the white upholstered seat.

What do you all do?

Do without? I currently have a black aftermarket seat on mine and I hate it. Not only the appearance of it, but the fact is I usually get on the Cub like one gets on a horse, and throw a leg over. Much harder with a high back seat .

Is there someone who specializes in re-upholstering these? I wouldn't mind shipping it out if I can get it done right. I've talked to a local shop, and they are talking about seams across the seat with black piping. ( I still have my blue piping and its in great shape)

Ideas, recommendations or thoughts :?:
Chooch
Why is there never enough time to do things right, but always enough time to do it over??

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: White seat

Post by ksanders »

If your fiberglass is good that's half the battle. The blue trim is called windlace. Now that you know that it should be easier to find for a classic car or something. I bought blue when I had my old Falcon a few years back. The upholstery I remember someone was doing a while back and the only difference was it was stitched along the middle whereas the original wasn't but it looked nice. I guess any upholstery shop could recover one.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

I prefer the high back seat myself, it provides more lumbar support for addressing steep mowing angles.
They are not as easy to get on and off of as mentioned, one false move with boots on and you will wind up with this-
DSCN6271.JPG
DSCN6271.JPG (200.17 KiB) Viewed 7612 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

If u have deep pockets... someone has a pretty nice one on eBay for $200.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

mortten
First and Last Name: Doug Anderson

Post by mortten »

The cover on that seat was vacuum formed. Any I have seen reupholstered have seams because they don't have the equipment to vacuum form.

kbkchooch

Post by kbkchooch »

I did see a nice one at the show at Arcadia last weekend. Yes it has seams, but they look much better than the duct tape that I had on mine. I took several pics and sent them along with the seat and windlace off to the local upholstery shop. I hope it looks like this when I get it back.
Attachments
20170916_092317.jpg
20170916_092317.jpg (4.67 MiB) Viewed 7553 times
Why is there never enough time to do things right, but always enough time to do it over??

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Post by Rmowl »

Even with the seams that looks good. Post pictures of yours once done. I have the metal pan to a 126 with the foam and cover I'd like to get reupholstered but can't find a shop that will do it.
too many IH cub cadets

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

It's taken me a few days to remember the name, but Speer cushion co. In Colorado did the seat for me on my wife's so76. Very nice work and easy to deal with.

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

JMotuzick wrote:It's taken me a few days to remember the name, but Speer cushion co. In Colorado did the seat for me on my wife's so76. Very nice work and day to deal with.
I did a quick check online and unfortunetely Speer Cushion Co will be going out of business soon.
http://www.speercushion.com/
Official Member SCCG

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

That stinks, very nice people too! Hopefully they will sell to another reputable company!

They even have a picture of the seat in question although it's a repair not new, I'm guessing they will need your old fiberglass.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

My .02. I was under the impression that someone out there had that vacuum form process replicated, nailed down and seamless some time ago.
After all, it's been done before. I must have read it someplace else. No idea who it was because I don't know. :?

Marlin
First and Last Name: Marlin Homrighausen

Post by Marlin »

I saw a Youtube video awhile back where a shop in California uses heat from a hair dryer to soften the fabric and form it on custom seat projects. I know there are shops that can do such however finding them isn't easy.

kbkchooch

Post by kbkchooch »

Ok guys, got my seat back tonight, what do ya think??
Attachments
20171002_191820.jpg
20171002_191820.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 7473 times
20171002_191829.jpg
20171002_191829.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 7473 times

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Very nice! Who did the work?

kbkchooch

Post by kbkchooch »

JMotuzick wrote:Very nice! Who did the work?
Hock Upholstery in Westminster Md (410) 848 - 7195. Your right, it is VERY nice! :headbang:

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Wow....Looks too nice to sit on.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Post by Rmowl »

Turned out great!
too many IH cub cadets