Adding Grease Fittings

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Adding Grease Fittings

Post by JLazar »

Good afternoon! In moving forward with my 1450 clean-up project, I would like to ask the group about adding grease fittings to the rear lift. I plan to add two fittings, and needed to know: 1. What size drill bit for what size grease fitting ?

Also, since I'm into drilling, my other concern is the 1450 driveline. I just picked up a length of 4140 CM rod to make my own, custom line with. The plan includes dual flex joints at each end of driveline. Q: What size drill bit is needed to drill the driveline holes for the standard size coil pin used in this application?

I also recently purchased all new flex joints, a new drive flange, and new Cub Cadet ISO mounts in a serious attempt to limit engine/driveling vibrations. I have also removed the balance "grenade" gears, made the engine cradle modification, and up-graded to the later all-iron oil pan.

Any information would be delightful!

Many Thanks, John
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: Adding Grease Fittings

Post by JMotuzick »

John
1/4-28 thread not sure the drill/tap size goggle it quick...
FYI cast pans where later.
1/4" on the roll pin

JLazar

Post by JLazar »

Thanks Joe. I'll get back soon,.... I thought I went through this before, lol! Yea, that's what I wanted to say about the cast iron oil pan!

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Why not go with the 3/16" drive in type?
It's what the front axle and snow thrower drive shafts use.
DSCN7257.JPG
DSCN7257.JPG (245.58 KiB) Viewed 3554 times
With the 1/4- 28 style the tap drill is # 3 (.213 dia.)

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I like tapping for the 1/4"-28. Drill size is on the tap and standard charts all over the interweb.

I have had several factory drive in fittings pull out when removing the grease gun coupler, I'm not a fan of them.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Threaded.....tap in....man.. they all sound like a lot of work. How about greasing it up good before assembly. Or I just got from the makers of 2+2 (berkebile oil) spray red grease. Works real nice. It come out thin....then thikens as the solvent evaperats. Real cool! ;)
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JLazar

Post by JLazar »

Tom, guys, Hey thanks for the information! I printed out the chart, and added that to my ever growing tractor manual. I've reached the next thing to do, and that's to put some fittings in the rear lift, maybe in other places in the lift system as well.