Thoughts on Lo Boy

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Cubchamp
First and Last Name: Dana Thompson

Thoughts on Lo Boy

Post by Cubchamp »

I have a 154 Lo Boy (approx 1967), fair condition. I'm going to sell it and was wondering if this is something many collectors would want to restore or is it not really very popular?

Thanks,
dt

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Thoughts on Lo Boy

Post by dag1450 »

I don't think they r very popular anymore. I see some on Craigslist for 2 thousand. Then 1500....then 1k. Then $750. They probably sell for like $500. I think with hydrostatic Tranny's and zero turns they r a thing of the past. Thats my opinion. Good luck. So did u join cause u have other cubs in the fleet? Let's see them. Welcome!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Cubchamp
First and Last Name: Dana Thompson

Post by Cubchamp »

The wife wants the old lo-boy to go, and get a new cadet garden tractor. The lo-boy is all we have as far as "tractors". I always liked cub cadets in general...over JD, etc. I joined (something I should have done years ago) to have a better resource for "how to fix this" or "where to get that" in case I decide to fix mine up any before I sell it... Or, in case I have to keep it a while longer and use it more.. The belts are cracking and probably wont last too much longer. The guy that sold me the lo-boy 20 years ago said if I ever needed belts, go to NAPA and have them match them up...

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I've had a few of those LoBoys myself and they're neat and fun to drive when fixed up but I've never been able to get more than about $1300 out of a completely fixed up mechanically and good cosmetically unrestored unit. Just no resale on them it seems so I stopped messing with them. I at least like to break even on tractors when I mess with them. Then take a machine with a busted front grill, terrible paint, bad clutches which they're known for, and the price plummets from there. There's a few local here now I can get well under $1000 ready to mow grass

As far as belts, I've been matching up lengths and ordering gates belts online for years. Save a lot of money and they seem to hold up for me. Just don't go with the super cheap online belts. Most recently my 2000 rpm finish mower needed a 134" belt. $189 at dealer vs $28 for a Gates belt online. That's an extreme example but you get the idea. I know that LoBoy takes a few long belts.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Yep...they do have the "cool" factor going on....and was toying with the idea of getting one years ago. But I could not force myself into another stick shift.....and like Kevin said.... clutch repair ;)
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.