982 hard to get running

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

982 hard to get running

Post by Rmowl »

Hi, I have an IH 982, mowed with it for over a year or better and blow snow with it using a 450 blower. I rebuilt the starter and had the carb and manifold rebuilt, only things I've had to do to it. This is the original Onan also. Problem I'm having now is it will be hard to start, until I remove the lid off the air filter. It starts fine but runs half power until I lift the air filter lid. I put in a new filter and no change. Once it's going it's ok but still seems a little down on power. Also seems like an excessive amount of fuel puking out the carb on start up. I've tried adjusting the Nikki carb to no avail. Any advice? Thanks
too many IH cub cadets

cwcub
First and Last Name: Corey Wilder

Re: 982 hard to get running

Post by cwcub »

How long ago was carb rebuilt? Did this start right after the rebuild? It could be many things but I would pull the bowl off and check for contaminants in fuel first. If it is clean then your float level could be to high allowing to much fuel. If it has a brass float remove the float and shake it and listen for gas in the float if so it has a leak and will not float properly, again to much fuel. Just some carb basics to rule out. Also make sure your choke is opening and closing all the way
cwcub 1450 1650 1872 782

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

Sounds like it may be starving for air.
With the air cleaner cover off check the air intake tube from the blower housing
since this is its main source of air intake.
Official Member SCCG

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Thanks for the helpful advice cwcub and cholloway. It looks like it was in the blower tube, it wasn't all the way in the housing. Right or wrong I put a bead of silicone at both ends to hold it in place. Fires up a lot better now.
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

It's gotten worse.... last time I used it it still lacked for power. Just got off the road and wanted to mow grass lastnight and had a time getting it going, had to take air cleaner off. Once it fired up, when I engaged the PTO the engine really struggled. I put it away and used another one. I just really need to get it going for winter as it's my snowblower machine with a 450. Pretty sure it's a carb issue. I probably don't have 30 hours on the Nikki carb rebuild from a reputable company last summer. I treat all my fuel with stabil ethanol treatment as well. I can't get it to start at all now.
too many IH cub cadets

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

You've said before carb adjustment did nothing. If you adjust the carb and the motor doesn't change how it runs you almost certainly have a carb issue. Is it the adjustable or non-adjustable carb? I remember mine had a replacement non adjustable and I ended up rebuilding the old one to replace it due to running issues. That was years ago and I haven't touched it since.
If it were mine I would pull the carb and just blow all the ports out and see what happens. It's worth 45 minutes to rule out dirt or debris

Also what about a spark plug going bad, plug wire shorting out, or head gasket? Been a while since mine actually needed work but I think they even have points if I'm not mistaken.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

It's a Nikki carb, has one adjustment. It is original to the tractor, the original owner never changed anything on it. I only removed top half of the carb to inspect the float, bowl etc, looked clean. At some point I'll remove the whole manifold and blow it all out. I just put new plugs in and can't get it going at all, it would start with some help before. We have the same engine at work on a wood mizer saw mill and when it's working even right it's amazing but when it acts up it's generally a bear to get going right again. I haven't pulled the heads
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Took everything off and inspected. Only thing I could find is this piece in the picture that's got a slight break in it, comes down from the top half of the carb into the bowl. Cleaned the carb out otherwise, going to button everything back up and check other stuff if this doesn't get it
Attachments
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 11212 times
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

got it to almost run with choke on. Pulled the plugs I just put in, the one by the oil fill tube is carboned over pretty good, other side looks new still. These haven't seen run time yet.
Attachments
IMG_1809.JPG
IMG_1809.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 11217 times
too many IH cub cadets

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Do you have a spark tester or way to check spark quick since one plug looks new? If both sides get spark maybe a valve not letting fuel in or something but I'd check that last after exhausting all other options. It's been years but I thought mine had a high idle screw as well on the carb. Either way, yours working right should do the job.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

I do recall once someone ran mine out of gas and it sucked in dirt and wouldn't run good. Carb looked clean as could be but after blowing out all ports in it the 982 ran perfect again.

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Thanks for the help. Both plugs are getting good spark. When I get home gonna check a sticking valve. I'm not near the tractor this week, it's the 19.9 Onan, performer. I've tried unsuccessfully to find a head gasket for it online, anyone know a part number? Was gonna get some ordered so they are there by the time I get home. Thanks
too many IH cub cadets

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

982 parts list shows cylinder head gasket ME-110-3181.
Official Member SCCG

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Looks like your emulsion tube is broken. I'm not sure if that is available. I just did a complete rebuild on a P220 and put in one of my 982's. If you need Onan parts these are the only 3 places I deal with and they all are great.

https://www.onanparts.com/

http://www.gphope.com/store/cat/57
Gary's site is down now but give him a call. I purchased all my rods, pistons, gaskets and bearings from him and he knows a lot on them.

Boomers influence (the used onan parts guy) is another man that has a ton of Onan parts and knowledge. PM me if you need his number.

You say that you have a performer in your machine but if original it should have a B48G. There are some differences in the Performer and B48G so double check before you order parts.

You may want to do a leakdown test or a compression test also.

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Cholloway, thanks for the info, i ordered a pair of head gaskets. Oak, yeah that tube is definitely broken, had to have been put in like that on install of the carb rebuild. I will do a compression test this weekend hopefully. Thanks for the information on vendors for Onan parts that will come in handy. I'll post results as soon as I find them. Also I'll verify what the motor is. Should be original according to the fella I bought it from who bought it new north of Towson MD. Thanks
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Ended up getting some time to fool with it this morning. Took off the head with the fouled plug. Had a sticking valve for starters. Resurfaced head and put new gasket, runs great now. Will do the other side before snow blower duties if needed at all this winter. Also the engine is an Onan performer 20XSL, IH 676067 Thanks for the help everyone
too many IH cub cadets

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Good deal, glad you got it figured out. I don't care what anyone says, those Onans are unbeatable. And mine has a much newer replacement Performer motor too

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Thanks Ksanders, yeah onans are pretty cool. On another note, anyone know where I can get the engine tin to go over the left side head above the starter? It was missing when I bought the tractor, the previous owner removed it to access the starter and lost it. Not sure that made much sense as I have have always had to pull the engine to remove them. If I have to make one I will, I'm sure I'm not doing the engine any favors running without it
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 11140 times
too many IH cub cadets

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Rick - It might make sense that you had a sticking valve on that side; without the tin, the engine will not be cooled properly. I wouldn't run it until you replace the tin. I'd pull that engine if necessary, just have to get the tin on it. Also, I am a fan of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in all my cans of fuel, provides some extra valve lubrication. Especially important if you are using ethanol fuel.

Great job on getting it figured out and fixed!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Oak

Post by Oak »

+1 on what Tom said.

I also found out in all the digging around I did when I rebuilt mine that there is a rubber gasket that goes around the oil filter to keep the air inside the tin to cool that side. Without it there is a bunch of air that escapes. I think it was $3.00 or $4.00
DSCN3292.JPG
DSCN3292.JPG (3.44 MiB) Viewed 11122 times
DSCN3293.JPG
DSCN3293.JPG (3.17 MiB) Viewed 11122 times

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Tom, I agree. I was able to modify a side tin off a KT17 series I to work. Oak, makes sense, I'll have to get that for the oil filter once I'm back in action again, I had no idea that a gasket went there. Well Murphy has been riding shotgun with me for too long. Update on where I'm at. I left the key on, now checked spark at plug and it's weak. Won't start. I'm getting 4.2 volts at the coil. Figure I fried the coil. Looks like these coils aren't cheap either
too many IH cub cadets

Oak

Post by Oak »

Try one of these or I believe a Harley V-Twin coil will work too.

http://www.kirkengines.com/index.php#DualSuperCoil

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Oak wrote:Try one of these or I believe a Harley V-Twin coil will work too.

http://www.kirkengines.com/index.php#DualSuperCoil
Oak, thanks for the response. I was going to order that coil from Kirk engine but says only for the points systems only, this engine doesn't have ignition points? Tried searching the part number just pulled it this evening, 166-0761, been superseded by new #, $120 what I'm finding
too many IH cub cadets

Oak

Post by Oak »

:o Ooops, I forgot that is a P series. I would contact Boomer or Gary to see what they have. I'm pretty sure I only paid about $80 for my new one.

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Thanks for the info, I just went ahead and ordered one off a vendor on eBay, so hopefully this gets me going
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Just got the new coil in, the new part # that supersedes the old 166-0761, # 0541-0552. Not even remotely close to fitting, bracket isn't for this engine at all! I'm not too impressed with these onans as far as them being a pain to work on! This joker is likely going to find itself for sale soon
Attachments
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 11060 times
too many IH cub cadets

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Not sure witch it witch. the bottom one was on my 982 when I bought and later sold it. Other then not fitting the bracket it ran great!

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

JMotuzick wrote:Not sure witch it witch. the bottom one was on my 982 when I bought and later sold it. Other then not fitting the bracket it ran great!
How was it mounted? Yes, the original is on top with the tabs on it. The mounting bracket that came with the new one on the bottom looks nothing like what was pictured and the coil is too wide in diameter to fit in the existing hole without modifying which I didn't think I would have to do for $123!
too many IH cub cadets

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

If you got the coil on ebay I'd contact the seller. Normally they'll take returns on there for a wrong item or send the right one. One of the main reasons I still use ebay and amazon.
As for selling the motor (if that's what you meant), I put a Mag 18 in a restoration of a 982 before I had this 982. After using both I love the Magnums but no way would I dump my Onan. The low end torque and practically being able to idle (slight exaggerated but not by far) while pulling a 5 foot finish mower is too nice. I know it's frustrating and I've been there on equipment countless times but i personally like the Onan performance.

Oak

Post by Oak »

As I said in an earlier post, I would contact Gary up in Michigan or Boomer after I sent that one back. I've talked to both guys several times and they can tell you what you need. They have a ton of experience on them. I think the coil has changed design and you need the one with the bracket. No way would I trade a Mag or Vanguard for an Onan. Keep swinging at it, you'll get her running again.
Attachments
DSCN3285.JPG
DSCN3285.JPG (3.57 MiB) Viewed 11043 times