982 hard to get running

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Re: 982 hard to get running

Post by Rmowl »

Are they the one with Onanparts.com? I was going to order some stuff off there but said site was down til October 1 for fishing. Unfortunately I'm on the road nine months or so out of the year, home now briefly and just want to nip this in the butt before having to head back out. If I'm local come October and don't have this thing figured out by then I'll give them a shot
too many IH cub cadets

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

The braket was hooky, a PO had basically used tape and zipties to make it say put not pretty but it was a worker not a resto. If that's the best Oman can come up with I'm disappointed. I'd keep it and come up with something on my own to mount it.

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Yeah, I paid almost double the amount for the coil and bracket instead of coil alone. I guess when cummins merged with Onan things changed, the original coil seemed like a good design. Not knocking cummins at all, I buy a ton of their genuine parts. I don't want to jerry rig this thing, it's not a resto but in good original condition. I haven't heard back from the seller of the coil yet, I just want my 982 running again! I do agree, the Onan does have a lot of low end grunt
too many IH cub cadets

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Rick, give Gary a call at his shop 989-689-5092 or pm me for Boomers number. I saw that too that the Onan Parts place is closed until October. I purchased a new coil and it looks like the one on the right in your pic. I'm thinking that that is all that is available but either of these guys would know. Boomer has a ton of older parts (NOS & used). Can you post a pic up of the current mount in the housing? On the P220 I did the po butchered the housing and I had yo get a used on off of Ebay. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Oak, thanks for the info, wish I had taken your advice from the start on using those guys, finally heard back from seller, I hope I don't get stuck with this thing now! Here's some pictures, the coil on the left is the oem, the new on right is clearly larger and not of the same shape to fit the coil housing. The supplied bracket is certainly not for the application and doesn't jive with the pictures of the product, I'm wandering if the wrong part got put in the box?
Attachments
IMG_1844.JPG
IMG_1844.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 3672 times
IMG_1845.JPG
IMG_1845.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3672 times
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Ok, got coil returned, it was simply sent with the wrong bracket. Ordered a new one from casegardentractorparts.com as well as the oil filter gasket, thanks Oak. Just got new coil installed correctly today. Now only runs on choke. So figure definitely carb now. Is the emulsion tube I pictured earlier that has a slight break in it a culprit? Never had this issue with this tractor, cleaned carb out thoroughly
Edit- seems to be running good now, got it all buttoned up, just got to retighten heads, ending up getting both heads resurfaced with new gaskets. New coil and plugs, feel like I got a new machine now. Can't say enough for casegardentractorpaets.com also. Fast shipping and fair prices. Thanks everyone here for the help
too many IH cub cadets

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Good job on sticking with it. Nice to hear a store has good customer service too.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Awesome news Rick + I added that web site to my list for Onan parts now. I didn't know about them and their prices look to be pretty good too.