782 won't turn over

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

782 won't turn over

Post by Rmowl »

Picked up a IH 782 that had been siting out for a couple years. Went all through it took it apart and cleaned it up, needed points , carb, normal stuff.It runs good, no smoke, hydro is good, good smooth power. I have put two solenoids on and I still have to jump the points to get it going, it fires up immediately after that. I have checked and cleaned grounds and, the ignition switch will shut it down. Getting it all buttoned back up and cleaned up nicely, but would like to be able to turn it on at the ignition , thanks for anything that I'm overlooking. I have also jumped the brake safety switch
too many IH cub cadets

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: 782 won't turn over

Post by JMotuzick »

pto switch? sounds like something in the safety circuit. the 782 had some changes in that area in the wiring. make sure you get your schematic. work your way though one wire/switch at a time.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

test light would make short work of that. If you don't have one start wiggling connectors on the ignition switch and pto switch. I don't remember but I believe there's a separate terminal on the on/off switch for power and starting. One good connector on the coil power still won't allow a bad one for the solenoid to start it. Lastly what about the seat switch in the rear if it hasn't been jumped already?
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Thanks for replies, I mowed a little with it tonight after cleaning up the 44" deck. So pto switch is good. I will check the ignition switch, it is a known good one. I have jumped the seat switch but that shouldn't have anything to do with starting. I just got this tractor for the front hubcaps to go on my 682. I've got a few of these 82's and thought I had them figured out but this one got me stumped for now
too many IH cub cadets

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

It could still be the PTO switch! There should be 2 plugs in the back, one with 2 wires one with 3. The 2 wire plug is the safety curcit. If that fell off or one of the wires is bad or the contacts inside the switch for those two wires are bad then... there you go! That's my guess from here.

delikocc
First and Last Name: Chris Anonowski

Post by delikocc »

I mowed a little with it... So pto switch is good.
I was composing a post to the same effect when JMotuzick beat me to it. The PTO working may not confirm a good PTO switch. There's a lot more going on inside the PTO switch, with the various safety circuits with separate contacts, so the PTO could still work and the tractor not start. I have had to change the PTO switch on multiple tractors of this type for not starting. Not sure if the PTO worked at the time or not.
Last edited by delikocc on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

My brief experience with said switch is when in doubt replace and forget about it. Pesky little thing that it can be :|

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Well you guys nailed it! The pto switch was good;however, there was a cut in one of the safety wires after going over the entire harness! I ended up hooking the brake safety switch I just jumped it for trouble shooting purposes, should've known it was in that wire. Thank you all for the helpful and informative responses! Another 782 lives again! I didn't hook up the pto safety switch as large springs were installed that I kinda like. I also borrowed Kevin's idea of putting earlier wide frame footrests on it I had laying around. It's still not cleaned up great but looks a million times better than what it did with algae and weeds grease and oil all over it
Attachments
IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 7168 times
IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1890.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 7168 times
IMG_1891.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 7168 times
IMG_1892.JPG
IMG_1892.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 7168 times
IMG_1893.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 7168 times
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

I have the belt shield for the deck also just gonna clean it up better wanted to see how well it worked and it's great. The only thing it's lacking is the IH grill emblem, I robbed the hood ornament off a CCC 82 series parts tractor. Picture of the front hubcaps that were on it. They were very rusty but cleaned up ok, I put them on a nice 682 that I already had the rear caps for
Attachments
IMG_1886.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 7167 times
IMG_1895.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 7167 times
too many IH cub cadets

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

That one is going to polish out nice!
The thing that concerns me with these older electrical devices is how much longer are we going to be able to get them? The switch is a well established failure point.
The machine is fourty years old, and the switch probably is too. There could be three hundred of them on shelves somewhere or there could be seven, who can say.
When stock is exhausted I'd doubt anyone is going to run off another batch. Then what? Just sayin :?

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Electrical parts are less of a concern than more cub specific parts to me. There's so many cubs out there that even if mtd doesn't supply replacement parts aftermarket should. If there's a lot of them and demand, someone typically cashes in on that demand. I restore several old Farmalls pushing 80 years old and I can still get about any custom light switch or electrical part they used. There isn't much I can't get to restore a Farmall and they're much older yet. If not we'll always be able to get a different switch and change the pigtail I guess on the harness. I get particularly concerned about things like steering boxes, hydraulic parts, etc. I got my 982 years ago because it was parked due to broken steering box and dealer told the owner it was nla. That was years ago. It has a used box from a green one to fix it

Like the footrests ;)
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Well, I'm bringing up replacing the switch because I had been having a bad time locating this particular one.
And the first one failed at less than ten years of age.
DSCN7418.JPG
DSCN7418.JPG (281.46 KiB) Viewed 7143 times
It's a basic four position switch with four terminals. The PTO switch in mention has five terminals if I'm not mistaken.
Anyway, I found it on Amazon of all places :shock:

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

What model is this pto switch for? I haven't had an issue yet* on getting a pto switch from my local napa. Yes, it is a five terminal switch. I agree these tractors are getting old, I still think parts are readily available. I try to scarf up as many as I can while I'm home and keep the best indoors and others for parts
too many IH cub cadets

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Rick, it's not. It is a switch that I had much trouble locating for another one of my projects. An example of a fresh experience. Your mention of Napa as having being able to get the Cub switch is most interesting. I'd wish very much to see you provide a part number as I believe that would greatly assist the Cub Cadet community. Most of us are aware that some replacement items are getting harder to find. Replacing a broken steering box is a real stand out example and having to park that machine without it. I can't imagine. Axle bushings for O's, lift handle grips for a 107, the list gets larger every day it would seem, yes scarfing parts is the name of the game.
Machines that sit outside using said switch get water in them and then that's that, it is something prone to wear and abuse is all I'm pointing out. I helped out a friend replace one some years ago and at the time he had no trouble finding another. At the time. With that there's no promise we can't get another in ten years. Or one.

Recently, I brought a four year old car into the dealership for Winter service. While there I told service to toss in a new battery while at it. Their tech broke one of the plastic push in clips that held the radiator shroud in place while accessing the battery strap. I could not believe the hoops and back flips the service manager had to go through for me to get that clip replaced. Emails. Photographs. Special deliveries. One would think the parts department would have a bin of a hundred of those things back on the shelf, slap it in a bubble wrapper and mail it to me. It's due in at my house Monday via UPS. It's coming in a 5x6x8 box. Nearly 16 dollars in shipping. For 2 plastic clips. Yes, their sending me a spare. I'd suppose they can afford it. All for a fifty cent clip.
It make me wonder what the hell is up with all of that :roll:
It make me thankful that we can still get what we can get.

indy61
First and Last Name: Bill

Post by indy61 »

Some cross reference numbers for 782 pto switch.

Stens 430-508 Prime Line 7-01911 Toro 92-6328 John Deere AM39489 Simplicity 1675800SM Walker 6950 Snapper 7019545 Woods 72372 Cub Cadet 925-3022 Exmark 1-543018 Napa SME 701911 O’Reilly 7-01911

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Check out the rocket speed reply from indy61 !
Well done sir, well done 8-)
NWMDC.jpg
NWMDC.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 7126 times