New Guy, 108 Rebuild

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Re: New Guy, 108 Rebuild

Post by cholloway »

Going off topic here with Ford Y blocks but I was not the one who started it :lol:
Yeah... I went from Cub Cadets to "Shooting the Breeze".
My bad? :beer:
Official Member SCCG

redvettemike
First and Last Name: Mike Martin

Post by redvettemike »

cholloway wrote:
The engine is a 272ci. I'm not sure it was the original engine or not.
I believe FORD used the 292 Y-Block engine in the '55 T-Bird.
With the 4 bbl carb it would have been designated as a 182 HP "Power Pack".
I looked it up and you are correct: only 292ci in '55. The machine shop guys said this one was (is) a 272. So the original has been replaced. A lot of water under the bridge in 60+ years. We have the rebuilt engine cranked and running and it seems good. Has solid lifters. The car also has 3 speed manual (on the floor) and overdrive.

Looks as if I have drifted away from CC 108's. Sorry.
Attachments
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG (983.75 KiB) Viewed 10097 times

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

And the drift continues...

The Seagrave... a beautiful engine that SHOULD show up in a Cub Cadet someday...

Actually, it's an Lycoming Auburn design, with redundant ignition. Oh, they're sWEEEttt... I put them in the category of MUST-HAVE, at least in running display... along with the GMC-478 V6... and a Pontiac Chief inline-8... and a Fairbanks Morse 32D, a Rolls Royce Griffon... and...
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Mike, it's all good. Perfectly fine when folks veer off topic a bit here. No worries about a moderator stepping in with some snarky comment about going off topic..
Of course if it's a free for all your looking for there's always Facebook :lol: I don't belong but found a way in without username and password. Good for them.

Another superb water delivery engine was the GMC 702 V12 although it was used in their medium duty truck line as well. 1100 GPM 24/7. They were used in the oil fields for slurry and for heavy irrigation.
twinsix_702_bsm.jpg
twinsix_702_bsm.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 10089 times
They are very hard to find now as they were run for fifteen or twenty years and scrapped. But what a sweet sound they made, you knew when you were alongside one pulling a hill.
In the days before my Wife and I started dating my Father in Law had one in his Fleet. But not for long. He told me he could never muster much more than 3 MPG out of it. Even though gas was twenty nine cents that's rich unless you own an oil field. He liked his one with the V6 351 much better. Drove that truck a quarter of a million miles till one day a rod windowed the block while at home, he drove it out behind the barn knockin and rockin and parked it in the field where everything goes to sleep. We were kinda glad when that went kabloom as he was in his middle 80's and still delivering hay. His other one with the 432M, well let's say that had more than it's share of troubles, I tried having the left bank pistons knurled after the oil cooler line popped because we could not get replacements- never did get one running great after that.
As recently as the mid eighties it was getting hard to find regular service parts such as head gaskets for them as they had been replaced by the 366 and 637, a tall deck 396 with little pistons and a tall deck 427 with 10 pistons in said order.
Now that's enough goin off tangent and story tellin outta me. Keep us posted with your project and good luck.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Don’t worry I’m goimg to add to the off topic, not bash you for it :D

Dave mentioned a 32d, does a 32e count?

Come visit us in Colchester and hopefully see it run! The guys on that crew are hopefull for 2018 startup!

Www.qvea.org

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

Back on the CC108 subject: I bought the parts you fine folks recommended. Photos attached. Also bought another 'collar' that holds all on the shaft. Two of them ought to not come loose. I'm not too sure why I worried about that as this CC will never mow a blade of grass. It mowed plenty over 20 years. I guess I will just let it sit look at it! My friend, (a conductor on Canadian Nation RR freight trains) saw a CC from the tracks between Jxn, Ms and Memphis and went back later and bought it. It is a '75 hydro and is nice.
Attachments
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG (649.81 KiB) Viewed 10075 times
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG (841.32 KiB) Viewed 10075 times
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG (838.43 KiB) Viewed 10075 times

DaveKamp

Post by DaveKamp »

I got a 472 V6 in the back driveway... seriously considering mating it to an Allison 6spd, fitting it into my '54 Studebaker 16R truck, with a road-geared axle... but weight-conciousness would probably direct me to choose a 455 Buick lower end with aftermarket heads and intake. We'll see...

I've kinda wondered why they never used the 472's bore and stroke in the twin-six... that would'a been 944ci of beastly torque... :P
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Dave, we are both in error.
The GMC 637 is a 60 degree 478 V6 with two cylinders added on.
I had gotten that confused with the 638 Chevrolet big block engine.
The 472 is a 90 degree 8 cylinder Cadillac engine.
The GMC V6 is a very heavy engine, that said 478's have found their way into GMC pickup trucks replacing the anemic 305 V6 (not to be confused with the Chevrolet 305 V8) and the 637's and 702's into rat rods.
1932-ford-v12-03.jpg
1932-ford-v12-03.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 10055 times

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

Sort of hate to say it but the 108 is finished. The foot rests need to be black but everything else is done. This includes the clutch which now works great. Tks to all on this site that helped me through this process.
Mike
Attachments
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 10048 times
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 10048 times
IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 10048 times

DaveKamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Looks nice, Mike! Too nice to use, but hey... nice! :lol:

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Looks Great! Good job Mike.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Post by Rmowl »

That turned out very nice. I was mostly ignorant to that series of cub cadets, mainly interested in narrow frames and 82 series but recently acquired a 108 and 128 and their fun and easy to work on. Again, nice job bringing that one back
too many IH cub cadets

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Nice work!
What’s with the decal under the seat?

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Looks good Mike.

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

JMotuzick wrote:Nice work!
What’s with the decal under the seat?
I have put the CC in my son in law's garage next door so it is not in front of me right now. That decal was the same as on the original. I'm not remembering what it says (some sort of warning about something.) I'll find out and post. I appreciate the comments on the 108. Those are wonderful little machines, mostly unappreciated (but not by this bunch!).
Mike

cholloway

Post by cholloway »

I think that may be the Caution sticker giving instructions on the proper way to jump start
the tractor with cables.
That sticker is on the underside of that cover/pan on my CC's.
No biggee.
Official Member SCCG

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

cholloway wrote:I think that may be the Caution sticker giving instructions on the proper way to jump start
the tractor with cables.
That sticker is on the underside of that cover/pan on my CC's.
No biggee.
Whoops! I bet you are right. Went on the underside.

Lance
First and Last Name: Lance Trgina

Post by Lance »

Very nice job there Mike. I'm also a 108 owner. Instead of painting my foot pads I cleaned them up and gave them to a friend who was getting his truck bed sprayed with bed liner. Turned out nice and has a little grip to them.

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

Lance wrote:Very nice job there Mike. I'm also a 108 owner. Instead of painting my foot pads I cleaned them up and gave them to a friend who was getting his truck bed sprayed with bed liner. Turned out nice and has a little grip to them.
Lance: Good idea. I need a new muffler for the 108 as this one is old and ain't doing much 'mufling' now. When I first bought the 108 ('79) that farmer that owned it had a small motorcycle muffler on it. Not sure what happened to the original. Back in the days of leaded gas those things would burn out.

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

Is the muffler for this 108 IH59365_C1? Where can that be purchased?
Thanks, Mike

mortten
First and Last Name: Doug Anderson

Post by mortten »

That number you posted is for a noise suppression muffler. You have to make sure you have that system on the tractor. The rest of the system is different from the standard muffler. The standard muffler is a IH-393840-R91 and available a lot of places.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

It would seem looking at the CCC parts website that the standard 393480 -R91 crimped end muffler has now been replaced by the all welded unit. This is a much heavier construction, smaller and more compact design, and has a lot offer as far as noise reduction as well.
DSCN6730.JPG
DSCN6730.JPG (312.72 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
DSCN6927.JPG
DSCN6927.JPG (286.01 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
Listed at $79. from any Cub Cadet dealer

cholloway

Post by cholloway »

Official Member SCCG

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

The best one that I ever bought was also the cheapest one that I ever bought.
It was a Taiwan import that came from Rich Patton about six years ago. It was silver in color and nearly identical in appearance to the factory can seam style. The thing that continues to amaze me about it is just how quiet it really is, obviously there has got to be more internal noise suppression within. Now I don't know if he still carries that particular one. It has held up very well over the years as well, even most of the paint remains.
I also bought a genuine Kohler factory replacement at about the same time, paid top dollar for it and that thing can't hold a candle to the imported one noise wise. What a let down that was. So I'd veer off from them from now on.
The CCC welded unit has a real nice deep throaty sound that differs from the sheet metal ones with a noted level of noise reduction as well, a very sweet sounding unit.
Not all these replacement mufflers include the clamp, be sure to select one that provides it. If choosing the welded CCC unit you will not be supplied a clamp. Just something to consider. These are getting harder to find as they are NLA by themselves.

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

Klapatta wrote:The best one that I ever bought was also the cheapest one that I ever bought.
It was a Taiwan import that came from Rich Patton about six years ago. It was silver in color and nearly identical in appearance to the factory can seam style. The thing that continues to amaze me about it is just how quiet it really is, obviously there has got to be more internal noise suppression within. Now I don't know if he still carries that particular one. It has held up very well over the years as well, even most of the paint remains.
I also bought a genuine Kohler factory replacement at about the same time, paid top dollar for it and that thing can't hold a candle to the imported one noise wise. What a let down that was. So I'd veer off from them from now on.
The CCC welded unit has a real nice deep throaty sound that differs from the sheet metal ones with a noted level of noise reduction as well, a very sweet sounding unit.
Not all these replacement mufflers include the clamp, be sure to select one that provides it. If choosing the welded CCC unit you will not be supplied a clamp. Just something to consider. These are getting harder to find as they are NLA by themselves.
I ordered the one you describe from Patton (they are black now). About $40, free shipping. Tks for the advice. Mike