New Guy, 108 Rebuild

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Re: New Guy, 108 Rebuild

Post by Merk »

redvettemike wrote:
Klapatta wrote:Mike, your doing a great job!
Go to our documents and manuals section located toward the upper left hand corner of the home page just under the header logo.
Left click to open.
Left clock on 86- 1650 Service manual Part 1.
Left click download to open.
Scroll down to page 2-24.
It will tell you there that the clutch release lever must have .050 clearance.
Adjust lower nut as necessary at clutch fork bottom.
I think that your adjustment is out of spec.
ken: Thanks much. Can you (or anyone) advise if the drive shaft going back to the transmission should be turning all of the time (with the clutch engaged or not engaged). Tks, Mike
The drive shaft should not be turning when the clutch is not engaged.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Yes the area Dale mentioned could well be enough to cause a drag problem. There may well be over spray on the inside the bushing as well.
This area should be clean and bright.
IMG_6605.JPG
IMG_6605.JPG (824.52 KiB) Viewed 12008 times
It may well wear itself off with some time.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Mike
The drive shaft should not spin when the pedal is locked down. Not to bash your work but I like to go through every part on a resto before I reassemble. You could have replaced parts very easy now you might need to pull the engine back out of course the deck needs to come off to even adjust the clutch. Slow down a bit and be more through as you go. Either way keep up the good work! It looks great!

redvettemike
First and Last Name: Mike Martin

Post by redvettemike »

JMotuzick wrote:Mike
The drive shaft should not spin when the pedal is locked down. Not to bash your work but I like to go through every part on a resto before I reassemble. You could have replaced parts very easy now you might need to pull the engine back out of course the deck needs to come off to even adjust the clutch. Slow down a bit and be more through as you go. Either way keep up the good work! It looks great!
Joe: Your words ring true. We will try to adjust the clutch some and hope the engine does not have to come back out. We put a new throw out bearing and new spring down there along with a new clutch disc. Something is amiss as it sometimes grinds going into gear. Tks

Mike

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

It's grinding because the driveshaft is turning. Sounds like the paint overspray and adjustment is where you need to be looking.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

Tom Scott wrote:It's grinding because the driveshaft is turning. Sounds like the paint overspray and adjustment is where you need to be looking.
Tom: I see. The metal disc that the clutch disc engages needs to be clear of paint. Right? We can pull the engine and do that if that is needed. tks, Live and learn.
Mike

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

Mike, the Southern Cub Cadet Gang was something started by longtime member Jim Steele (jswordy) who lives in Tenn.
He had a bunch of these buttons made up and if you attended a show in his area where he was displaying his Cub, he'd
give you a button and you would become a member of "the gang".
This goes way back to the original IH Registry site.
No meetings. No dues. Just a few of us back then. That's all it is.
Official Member SCCG

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

We have had a problem with the clutch on this 108. We had it put together wrong at first but think now we have it correct. I am enclosing some photos of the clutch shaft. You fine folks can advise if it is assembled correctly or not. The photos show that the 'teaser spring' is mashed flat. We think it should not be flat like that. The clutch disc is tight up against clutch plates. it likely should have some play in it. The new throw out bearing is longer than the old: 1.103" v approx. .985. The Ebay guy that sold us the new throw out bearing (a good guy who has offered to take it back) says this is the only replacement and he has sold to many others with no problem. It looks to be a problem for us The new throw out bearing replaces the seized old one. I guess we could have the new bearing machined some to shorten it? Any guidance is appreciated.
Mike
Attachments
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG (881.26 KiB) Viewed 11983 times
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG (883.52 KiB) Viewed 11983 times
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG (846.38 KiB) Viewed 11983 times

Merk

Post by Merk »

Does your driveshaft have any wear in the area my finger is pointing? This area is where the throw out bearing goes.
clutch021.JPG
clutch021.JPG (34.29 KiB) Viewed 11976 times
Replace if it shows any wear. Long run you will glad you did.

It looks like you are missing a spacer (# 20) per the Cub Cadet parts lookup
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 0012400012
The parts look up has the compression spring (# 4) and spacer (# 20) backwards.

It looks like the compression spring (# 2 ) in a bind when you have the clutch pedal pushed in. I would the pin back the overall length difference of the 2 throw out bearings. (example-new throw out is .5 longer-move pin location back .5)
I would use a 2 piece split collar to hold the spring in place.

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

Merk wrote:Does your driveshaft have any wear in the area my finger is pointing? This area is where the throw out bearing goes.
clutch021.JPG
Replace if it shows any wear. Long run you will glad you did.

It looks like you are missing a spacer (# 20) per the Cub Cadet parts lookup
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 0012400012
The parts look up has the compression spring (# 4) and spacer (# 20) backwards.

It looks like the compression spring (# 2 ) in a bind when you have the clutch pedal pushed in. I would the pin back the overall length difference of the 2 throw out bearings. (example-new throw out is .5 longer-move pin location back .5)
I would use a 2 piece split collar to hold the spring in place.
Dale: Thanks for the response. We have come to the same conclusion and will move the #2 compression spring back the approx. .118" that is the difference in the two throw out bearings. There is a spacer (ours is a washer; wrong?) between the teaser spring and the clutch plate. The drive/clutch shaft has very little wear on it and we think will work ok given some more clearance. I'll advise how we come out. I am not sure what a 'split collar' looks like but will go to the hardware store to see.

Merk

Post by Merk »

McMaster-Carr calls the 2 piece split collar a 2 piece shaft collar.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=1azyjmf

I don't use a pin through the driveshaft to hold big spring in place. I've been using the 2 piece shaft collar in any clutch I rebuild unless the customer wants a pin.
The drilled hole in the driveshaft is a weak spot.

The McMaster-Carr part number 6436K15.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#6436k15/=1azyn2h

I usually use 2 shaft collars. Main reason is usually install a heavier compression spring and don't want them to move.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Thousands of machines were never factory fitted with the item #20 teaser spring spacer. It did not come along until the middle 1970'S when it was offered as a retrofit item to prevent teaser spring failure. Even my circa 1991 TC-113 manual does not list it.
Your also missing the clutch driving disc springs although that is not causing the issue, they were used to control clutch disc chatter. That part number is 732-3018. Normally two are used. refer to image for placement and location.
DSCN1778.JPG
DSCN1778.JPG (156.47 KiB) Viewed 11973 times
If you are handy around a lathe the spacer can be fabricated. Here's what I came up with and it works great.
DSCN1744.JPG
DSCN1744.JPG (86.27 KiB) Viewed 11973 times
DSCN1784.JPG
DSCN1784.JPG (60.6 KiB) Viewed 11973 times

Merk

Post by Merk »

Klapatta wrote:Thousands of machines were never factory fitted with the item #20 teaser spring spacer. It did not come along until the middle 1970'S when it was offered as a retrofit item to prevent teaser spring failure. Even my circa 1991 TC-113 manual does not list it.
Your also missing the clutch driving disc springs although that is not causing the issue, they were used to control clutch disc chatter. That part number is 732-3018. Normally two are used. refer to image for placement and location.
DSCN1778.JPG
If you are handy around a lathe the spacer can be fabricated. Here's what I came up with and it works great.
DSCN1744.JPG
DSCN1784.JPG
All the wide frame clutch assemblies that I work on had the spacer. The purpose was prevent teaser spring failure as Ken stated.

I never had had any luck using clutch disc springs. They can hold clutch disc against the pressure plate can keep the driveshaft moving.
The disc looks to be made out Kevlar material. They are usually a little thicker than the Cub Cadet disc.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Dale, you are spot on correct, I stand corrected. There does seem to be too much crush on the main spring as well. The retrofit spacer I had mentioned applied to narrow frame applications.
The modification shown was of my own design as an improvement to help prevent teaser spring failure on those models. After breaking two in three years it became time to find a better way.
I downloaded the GSS-1464 service manual. An exploded view of the shaft assembly is clearly provided on page 2-23 (page 36.) and should look like as shown.
Hope this helps.
DSCN7599.JPG
DSCN7599.JPG (173.66 KiB) Viewed 11969 times
DSCN7601.JPG
DSCN7601.JPG (158.79 KiB) Viewed 11969 times
It all comes back to me now. That collar cannot be used on a narrow frame. I tried. Then I went over to plan B ;)

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

We got a color and have installed that. We will get back in the machine this next week and see if that will solve the issue. Thanks.
Mike
Attachments
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG (886.66 KiB) Viewed 11962 times
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG (860.96 KiB) Viewed 11962 times
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG (799.67 KiB) Viewed 11962 times

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Mike, your getting closer but your still missing the teaser spring spacer collar.
It's circled as item 7 in the image. This is what prevents the teaser spring from getting mashed as you described.
The part number according to the Cub Cadet parts site is 911-3040 and it costs $13.71.
DSCN7601.JPG
DSCN7601.JPG (154.62 KiB) Viewed 11957 times
Disregard item 5 as it is not used in your application.
Also, I'd strongly urge replacing the teaser spring, it's a common failure point especially when they get over compressed as yours has.
When this spring fails it will cause an extremely jerky clutch action.
It is part number 732-3017 and for the five bucks it's worth the peace of mind to replace it.

The locking collars that Merk mentions are of a split design and have far more clamping strength than a collar with just a set screw, I have my doubts with that type staying in place. Here's what it looks like-
6436k150l.gif
6436k150l.gif (22.99 KiB) Viewed 11957 times
It's been said many times that half of all gear drive Cubs that have been parked behind the shed are because of clutch issues, I go along with that.

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

Kenneth: Tks for the response. I'll get the parts that you are talking about. The old spring had broken so this is a replacement. But I'll do exactly as you say.
Tks.

Merk

Post by Merk »

Klapatta wrote:Mike, your getting closer but your still missing the teaser spring spacer collar.
It's circled as item 7 in the image. This is what prevents the teaser spring from getting mashed as you described.
The part number according to the Cub Cadet parts site is 911-3040 and it costs $13.71.
DSCN7601.JPG
Disregard item 5 as it is not used in your application.
Also, I'd strongly urge replacing the teaser spring, it's a common failure point especially when they get over compressed as yours has.
When this spring fails it will cause an extremely jerky clutch action.
It is part number 732-3017 and for the five bucks it's worth the peace of mind to replace it.

The locking collars that Merk mentions are of a split design and have far more clamping strength than a collar with just a set screw, I have my doubts with that type staying in place. Here's what it looks like-
6436k150l.gif
It's been said many times that half of all gear drive Cubs that have been parked behind the shed are because of clutch issues, I go along with that.
I would do what Ken suggested to do.

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

Had the local JD dealership work on the JD345. Got some new gage wheels for Christmas. Going to put the clutch and drive shaft back in the 108 today or tomorrow. I got the parts (teaser spring and spacer) as directed. A '55 Tbird that we rebuilt the engine on (had 0-zero-oil pressure).
Attachments
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG (927.26 KiB) Viewed 11958 times
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG (954.95 KiB) Viewed 11958 times
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG (989.81 KiB) Viewed 11958 times

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Good deal on the 108!
My guess on the Thunder Chicken is a missing oil galley plug.

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Ken said: "It's been said many times that half of all gear drive Cubs that have been parked behind the shed are because of clutch issues, I go along with that."

Kinda obvious... that if you say it, then that statement is true, right? :lol:

I'll give that statement some merit though- and not just for clutch issues... also for CROSSPIN couplers on shafts. The crosspin seems like a great idea, but in the long run, once there's slop in there, it becomes a shear-pin and NOBODY (except us gearheads) is inclined to go in there to fix it.

Of course... it happens on hydrostats, too...
driveshaft.jpg
driveshaft.jpg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 11951 times
...except for mine... :D
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

Here is rebuilt engine. The older gentleman that owns it has worsening dementia. I am dealing with his son on this engine issue. The owner's physician has taken the gentleman's drivers license as he cannot drive because of the dementia. He wrecked his Cadillac and it was Grace that he did not kill himself or someone else. He is calling me wanting this Thunderbird back thinking that will get him back on the road. He doesn't know that he will never drive it. A sad story but one that is happening to more and more of us. The classic car hobby will not look the same as today in 10 years as the generation behind the Boomers is not much interested in these old cars.
Attachments
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 11945 times
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG (996.53 KiB) Viewed 11945 times

DaveKamp

Post by DaveKamp »

So which engine is it, and was the cause of the low oil pressure?

That IS a sad situation... a friend's mother has fallen apart due to rapid-onset Alzheimer's, before they took the magic key fob, she would leave the house at 2:15am, and drive to an appointment three and a half days early... then forget where she was, then drive somewhere else... and get out... and forget which car is hers... :oops:

But if he rembembers that the T-bird is his... then what he needs, is to have it back, in his garage, where he can sit in it, mebbie start it up... but so he can't drive away... say... slightly on blocks, with driveshaft disconnected... and exhaust piped out the wall? IF he tries to leave, and asks... tell him that it's an incredibly valuable car, and it's been secured so it won't get stolen...

We know when we're falling apart a little. When we're falling apart alot, we can't usually figure it out. I've noticed that when people start having cognitive or memory problems, they first tend to get a little angry, because they can't figure out what they used to find easy. Once they realize it themselves, then they're usually depressed, because they realize what's happening. Some learn to accept it a little, and try to carry on. It's important to support them through it, because it's all they've got.
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

redvettemike

Post by redvettemike »

The engine is a 272ci. I'm not sure it was the original engine or not. It was not pumping oil up to the top of the heads and was going to be ruined (in our opinion) in short order. Engine rebuild kit was expensive for that rare engine. We had the block machined, crank turned and heads redone, new cam and lifters. The car is a 3 speed manual. This gentleman also has a nice '57 Tbird-one that he also cannot drive. He has a lady that is with him a good part of each day.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Dave, you raise one of the eternal questions of the mysteries of life for all the ages :lol:
th.jpg
th.jpg (13.26 KiB) Viewed 11932 times
Speaking of which, I have heard it said many times that one cannot run a hard shaft drive to a hydro pump- that it will damage the pump because it is not flexible enough.
Is this the truth :?:
I'd much rather hear it from the man that has done it firsthand himself rather than engage speculation
So please tell us now, you have my attention. I'm more Mongo than Bruce Lee to begin with anyway.
untitled.png
untitled.png (88.25 KiB) Viewed 11932 times
Yeah, that's right. I've been iced in here for over a day now and I'm startin to turn slaphappy :P

DaveKamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Ken, the secret lies right before you...

It's not a 'hard' shaft. It's collapsible... right in the middle... with a U-joint at both ends. I've offset the motor (actually, skewed it to one side slightly) to provide good clearance of the steering column, and also position the hydraulic pump and exhaust where I want it to be.

But yeah, the answer to your question is correct- a driveline which is incompliant is NOT good for a Sundstrand 15U hydrostat, and frankly, not good for ANY driveline. The frame (particularly when running a front end loader) does flex, and as a result, the driveline's operating envelope changes shape and dimension. My prior configuration of the Mutt's driveline used a U-joint at the hydrostat, with the rag-joint moved to the engine end... and this worked extremely well (never, ever, ever broke a pin, 'cause it doesn't have one available to break), but after 13 years of hard work, the rag joint was well... pretty well done for. I knew when I was working with the Vanguard, that I'd need the ability to adjust it's position a bit more, and I knew that I'd need to make a new drive coupling arrangement for the flywheel, so I just bit the bullet and incorporated U-joints at both ends.

And by the way... notice there's no cooling fan on the 15U hydrostat. Doesn't need one. I've beaten the tar out of this thing, and never, ever, ever had a situation where the transaxle fluid or hydrostat case got too hot.

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

The engine is a 272ci. I'm not sure it was the original engine or not.
I believe FORD used the 292 Y-Block engine in the '55 T-Bird.
With the 4 bbl carb it would have been designated as a 182 HP "Power Pack".
Official Member SCCG

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Yes I noted the shafts ability to slide in and out, I was wondering if a drive shaft from a Q series snow thrower could be applied in such a case?
They measure 15" collapsed and 17" when extended. They are very stoutly constructed. As I understand some of it's parts were used in the early Scout front wheel drives.
DSCN7619.JPG
DSCN7619.JPG (273.79 KiB) Viewed 11921 times
My thinking was the pump could not take the pounding that comes along with a single cylinder engine hence a rubber buffer is needed between the two.

DaveKamp

Post by DaveKamp »

The 'pounding' you refer to is what the driveline engineers call 'service factor'. A single cylinder diesel has the 'worst' service factor, while an inline eight-cylinder steam engine, or a DC electric motor... or a hydroelectric turbine would have the 'best'... the 'pounding' goes away as the power pulses get closer together, lesser in amplitude, overlap, or just plain old 'cease to exist'.

All the Scouts that I had, used 13-series U-joints. I don't remember what class of DANA joints these little ones fall into, but they're certainly not large enough to survive in a Scout. My original driveline used 5/8" shaft, with yokes and crosses from the SKF catalog... and this collapsing PTO driveline used the exact same series, but I don't recall what DANA-Spicer series it was identified under. The PTO shaft LOOKS square, it's actually rectangular... IIRC it's 3/4" x 7/8". In the past, I made ALL my driveline assemblies by cutting the shaft/tubing, and fitting yokes, but in this case, I found that my local driveline shop had the rectangular shaft WITH yokes installed, all I had to do was cut the tube and shaft to suit my minimum collapsed length... then just fit yoke to a flange to suit my engine coupler. Hydrostat used same yoke that I'd used on the 5/8" shaft before.

I suspect the IH shafting from the throwers and tillers would work, but the clearance to steering column would be a bit too tight... AND... that shaft assembly is a bit dear as a viable replacement assembly... the parts I used were inexpensive and common...

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

The "pounding" I refer to otherwise known as service factor is one reason why Seagrave fire apparatus used their own V12 power plant for nearly thirty years. It was claimed with smoother pulses to the pump it was more efficient, I stabbed a couple of shots off the web to post-
6b362332-a748-4ad6-8669-649b.jpg
6b362332-a748-4ad6-8669-649b.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 11908 times
Note the dual ignition system much like aircraft engines of the same era-
DSC_0188.JPG
DSC_0188.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 11908 times
Going off topic here with Ford Y blocks but I was not the one who started it :lol:
Here's some shots from my Feb. 1954 issue of Popular Science that you guys may enjoy ;)
Click on image to enlarge
DSCN7621.JPG
DSCN7621.JPG (338.35 KiB) Viewed 11908 times
DSCN7625.JPG
DSCN7625.JPG (326.45 KiB) Viewed 11908 times