2082 MAG 20 Starter

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
kbrothers
First and Last Name: Ken Brothers

2082 MAG 20 Starter

Post by kbrothers »

Hey all , can someone tell me if I need to remove the two starter mount bols(after taking the two nuts off) to get the starter out from between the engine mount lugs? Thanks haven't messed with my cubs in a long while Ken in Pa

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: 2082 MAG 20 Starter

Post by dag1450 »

Idk.....but if your are in deep enough to take the nuts off.....the bolts shouldn't be too much harder. :lol: It's been a while but the long bolts go through the starter and hold it all together.....then the treaded ends stick out of starter......then those ends push through the block "ears"....and nuts hold it snug to block. Wow....that was confusing ;) ;)
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

No, you do not want to remove the long bolts that go all the way through the starter.

The engine has to be out of the tractor, and the rear (fan end) shroud has to be removed. The side tin also has to be loosened from what i remember.

Not possible to do correctly with the engine in the tractor.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Post by Rmowl »

6 9/16 bolts to remove the engine on those. I pull all mine from a deer hoist in the garage. Good time to pressure everything off. Easy to remove starter after that, just did one the other weekend. A local shop can rebuild my starters for $60
too many IH cub cadets

kbrothers
First and Last Name: Ken Brothers

Post by kbrothers »

Thanks guys Pulled the engine and got the starter changed.Had to back out the one starter bolt to get the starter out and in The new starter worked good on day one; but day two the bendix would just spin until I pushed it out a little with screw driver Guess I 'll be pulling everything out again when it warms up a little and hope I can send it back for another

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Good job on the replacement.....but man..what a kick in the shorts. Please tell us where and what starter u bought....so we can boycott them :lol:
When one buys a new part we expect no "doctoring" is needed. But I wonder if some of that dry graphite lube that guys do on older starters is needed for new ones too?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

So it actually is possible to replace a starter on a magnum in frame!...although not really sure it was practical but i have done it. Had to make a very custom bent wrench to get at one of the mounting nuts and u still have to remove one peice of sheet metal. Not really sure id recommend doing it this way.
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

nddragoon1
First and Last Name: nathan dragoon

Post by nddragoon1 »

Im pretty happy with my 2082 but man is a pain to work on the engine stuff...nothing is easy to get to.