New 782

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

New 782

Post by Rmowl »

Just hauled in a 79 IH 782. I found this one for my dad a month or so ago and went with him one Sunday morning to pick it up around falls church, VA. It's a one owner, series I. Came with 50" deck and snow plow. All hubcaps. I got all my project tractors up and running so I went over and picked this girl up, I'm excited to get her running. Gonna go over all the usual and should be in good shape by Sunday.
Attachments
IMG_2107.JPG
IMG_2107.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 8275 times
IMG_2108.JPG
IMG_2108.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 8275 times
IMG_2109.JPG
IMG_2109.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 8275 times
IMG_2110.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 8275 times
too many IH cub cadets

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: New 782

Post by BigMike »

What a find!, series 1 and all.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Nice! I know the hubcaps r valuable....but I don't care for the look :lol:
Keep us updated on your progress :beer:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Got it dissasembled. Pushed it out and gonna pressure wash it then re assemble and get it running. Had a lot of water in the tank. I pulled both heads and milled them and put new gaskets. Engine turns over ok. Cleaned hubcaps up too. Will show it cleaned up and running next. Have to take daughter to gymnastics now
Attachments
IMG_2113.JPG
IMG_2113.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 8251 times
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Got it cleaned up/degreased. Got engine going but having a fit adjusting this governor on this one. Gonna put tractor all back together and revisit it tomorrow
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 8246 times
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Looks a little better than yesterday at this this time. I just need to get the governor fixed and it's all good to go.
Attachments
IMG_2114.JPG
IMG_2114.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 8243 times
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Have definitely hit a brick wall on the governor. Engine runs great. It's just the governor sticks. I've tried every possible adjustment, at a total loss. Would appreciate any info, thanks
too many IH cub cadets

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Since it had been sitting possibly governor weights are a little rusted, froze, or just sticking? I had a 71 do that many years ago. Refreshed the motor and carb with new rings, valves, etc and didn't replace governor (yeah I know and learned). Governor looked good while apart but the weights apparently didn't move free and after a year off and on annoyed by it I replaced it and it ran like a top.
Broken gears on governor can throw everything off too. My Cadet 60 tecumseh suffered from that and didn't know until I was in there.

Hopefully someone has an easier bit of advice because I know replacing the gear is a job on those. Maybe that's why it was sitting?
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Sorry to hear about the governor problem. someone should devolpe a procedure for replacement that doesn't involve splitting the block. I'm thinking like an 1-3/4" hole saw and a cover plate.....lol :lol: just dreaming I guess.
Nice fleet by the way
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

thanks for replies. I guess no good deed goes unpunished, just trying to get it in working order and looking good for my pops. I have had governor problems before on the K series engines and fixed them, but I don't think its worth the time and effort to break apart a series I. Its a shame because I think it has low hours just judging from how clean the engine was when I pulled the tins off, and the muffler is really clean. The tractor just sat a lot the last few years, covered under a tarp. No smoke at all though. Oh well, I found a nice tractor at an auction last summer that had an 18 magnum in it got the whole deal for 200, put that in my 682 with a series I with a hole in the block. May have to keep an eye out for an engine.
too many IH cub cadets

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Would it be the end of the world if you drilled a hole with a hole saw to see the governor and if it’s bad install a new one?

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

valid point, I really don't have anything to lose at this point. When I get home this weekend I may just try that.
too many IH cub cadets

Mcamp
First and Last Name: Mark Campbell

Post by Mcamp »

Are you sure that is a series 1?The spec decal on the frame indicates the eng.has been replaced at some point.If you remove the oil fill plug you can see the gov.gear,turn eng. by hand and look for damage to gear.Also look at lower right corner of block beside the dipstick to see if you have a threaded hole for oil gauge which would mean a series 2 eng.

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Mark, I don't know for sure it is a series I. The guy my dad bought it from said it was his parents were original owners of it. I'll check for the oil filter provision. I honestly assumed it was a I mainly due to the fact every series I I've dealt with had an oil plug and not a cap. I'm not ready to give up on it regardless of what series it is, aside from the governor the engine runs fantastic
too many IH cub cadets

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Well got it going, ran into around the yard it operates flawlessly. I have to get the mule drive and deck and run it under load still. It ended up being the spring was out of whack. I found one I had saved from a blown engine and installed it, adjusted at wot. Fired it up and went through the rpm range perfectly. Thanks for the tips and pointers, this will be my dads Easter present
too many IH cub cadets

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Awesome deal! Sometimes it just works out. Wouldn't have been my first guess either but nice save
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Don Bellamy
First and Last Name: Don Bellamy

Post by Don Bellamy »

Looking forward to the video, glad you got it running and looking so good. The perfect Easter gift!
My IH's are like family

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Rick, what good news! This was sounding like a blown governor for sure. So glad to hear it is fine and just needed a simple spring and adjustment!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Don and Tom thanks for the kind comments. I haven't got the deck hooked up yet but did bring it to my dads house he was pleased to say the least. I gave him a mint mule drive and carrier I had I'm hoping in the next few weeks I'll get that going im excited to see it mow
too many IH cub cadets