cub cadet 128 voltage regulator

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
fordman
First and Last Name: Jason DeWitt

cub cadet 128 voltage regulator

Post by fordman »

hey guys and gals I have a cub cadet 128 and I need a voltage regulator I want one that's the orginal style mine has the f b a terminals on the one side and gnd on the other all the ones I can find have L b F on the one side and a G terminal under it on the other side now they are saying they are a direct replacement for it but I want the oe style if they are available can anyone give me a web site or a part number that will get me the oe style? thanks Jason

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: cub cadet 128 voltage regulator

Post by Klapatta »

Firstly, I would trust you understand that the direct replacement unit will perform the exact same function at half the cost?
I just did a little bit of looking around. If for nothing else, just to get off You Tube for a while. :lol:
It's listed as part # 545130-R92 directly on the Cub Cadet parts website and can be had for $114.38
Over at Cub Cadet Specialties it's offered for $98.00, so that's a pretty husky savings on their part.
A direct replacement of high quality can be had from NAPA under part # VR896 for about 60 bucks.
But- the Gen. terminal will be underneath.
So you can buy one for the price of two or two for the price of one depending on how you want to go about it.
I'll move a couple wires around an inch or so for that kind of money ;)
As far as the stumpy ground wire thing goes, the fender assembly IS grounded, the replacement unit grounds when bolted in place. Just be sure it is contacting bare metal if you go that route.
Good luck with it whatever road you take.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

As far as I know all the new ones have the terminals in the “new” configuration. Spend 114, 98, 80, 60, or 35 on eBay all your choice.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Well, myself I'd veer off from the really cheap ones. They are imported and of dubious quality.
The NAPA ones are Echlin new old stock and USA made. At least I think they still are, they look it to me.
They are reduced in price. They are probably clearing them off the shelves.
They still offer a 4 side terminal regulator with the Load terminal in line with the F and BAT terminals that is perfect for the 70,100 under #VR898.
NWMDC.jpg
NWMDC.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 6775 times
But it's $96. For that kind of money I'll put the GEN wire underneath.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Lol....I was wondering with a few minutes of time....u could bend or modify to bring it out from the back....so it looks factory
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Well Dave, the short answer is no, here's why.
NWMDC.jpg
NWMDC.jpg (25.92 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
The GEN terminal on the 896 really is underneath. The 898 is speced for green things, thirty bucks more, and does the same job.
I think that he may be looking for a regulator with the push on type terminals. I'm pretty sure that screw on to push on insert adapters are included if you buy the genuine CCC part, can't say for sure though, I never actually bought one of those.

The push on type terminals were probably used to speed assembly and because of the confined area involved, no screwdriver necessary. I don't like that type myself, they get dirty, then loose, then hot, then start arcing out. Have seen that a hundred times, trailer wiring, washing machines, just name it. After further review let's rephrase that, I think they suck :P Hard wire it in and forget about it is the best I think.
On a more positive note one of the smarter things IH ever did was to move the battery to the back starting with that series where it belonged.
That and moving the gas tank off the scalding hot engine tins on to the firewall with the 86's and up.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Yeah....not as easy as I was thinking. I guess you would need to make your own extension tab, then screw it to the existing terminal underneath.
You could maybe salvage one of the longer tabs from the old one as your extension?
Not worth all the jury rigging I guess :roll:

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ken
So your saying the first one pictured has the gen termal along with F and Bat all on one side?

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

With the NAPA regulators they will be physically marked, instructions are included as well.
Here's VR898 mounting points.
NWMDC2.jpg
NWMDC2.jpg (13.12 KiB) Viewed 6758 times
NWMDC1.jpg
NWMDC1.jpg (9.63 KiB) Viewed 6758 times
With the VR896 the GEN mounting point is underneath.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Thanks for the pictures. Like I said and like the OP wanted there are no known factory style regulators being made. Only the newer configuration.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Your welcome Joe. I'd like to see someone post a close up pic of one installed and out. A side by side size comparison shot of the two would be even better, were they were just slightly smaller in size or perhaps I'm mistaken. Anyone up for that? My manuals do not clearly show it. The factory under seat batteries were of a lower configuration as well and have not been in production for decades but a standard GT battery will fit in just fine, is that right?
Oh and by the way when I was cut and pasting those images from the NAPA web site last night I noticed the price for the VR896 has gone up to $72. :|

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

What am I missing on mine. Bottom right post has nothing connected. I remember when I installed years ago....the green wire had to stretch across to the left side. It wasn't like that before....idk. this is a 127
IMG_20180329_213917014.jpg
IMG_20180329_213917014.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 6728 times
IMG_20180329_213836873.jpg
IMG_20180329_213836873.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 6728 times

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I had been under the impression that the regulator terminals on the wide frames use push on terminals, well lookie what I found
DSCN7708.JPG
DSCN7708.JPG (217.18 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
That looks easy enough to change out. Bolt the new one on and correct sequence the wires is all, plenty of extra wire too or am I missing something else here?
I'm wide frame ignorant so please excuse me :lol:

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ken
There is a s/n. Brake most had the spade connectors. Early s/n had the screw typ like in that service manual picture.

Dag
That wire is blue! That’s what we have been saying right along.... they changed! Your wired correctly. The new regulators have a L Terminal that is not used/needed

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

A serial number break. Now I don't doubt that at all. But that leaves more questions than answers. If I order a new wire harness what type terminals will it have? Still, I never see the spade connector type anywhere. Not ever on eBay or web searches so I still don't know what one looks like which is why I asked if someone could snap a shot of one. Suppose I'll have to get a wide frame to find out :lol: Still, I'd prefer the screw on type. The push on ones are good for two things, fast assembly and starting fires.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

To use the spare connector you need the adaptor. I too don’t know of a regulator with the spades.

The new harnesss are spade only.