Deck Handle

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
planejeff
First and Last Name: Jeff McDonald

Deck Handle

Post by planejeff »

I am trying to remove the implement handle for a 129. I removed the two pins on the inside of the frame. Doesn't move! Any thoughts?? Did I miss something?
Thanks!

althomas
First and Last Name: Al Thomas

Re: Deck Handle

Post by althomas »

There should be a pin in the lower cast pc of the handle that has to come out and I believe the fender pan needs to be off for the handle to have clearance to be pulled off ,I think the pins inside the frame lock the lift arms to the shaft that the handle controls . Been awhile since I removed one of these ,soak the roll pin with penetrant sometimes they are tough to get out.

planejeff
First and Last Name: Jeff McDonald

Post by planejeff »

That pin in the handle cast isn't coming out! Do I need to pull the handle out to get it off? I poured penetrating oil on it and three pouches also an air hammer pouch! Thinking cutting shaft!

althomas
First and Last Name: Al Thomas

Post by althomas »

That may be an option as you could weld it back together or replace it cause even if you get the pin out you may have just as much trouble getting the handle cast piece off of the cut shaft if I'm following what you got in mind ? Maybe throw this question out on the OCC web site and see if it brings any other ideas not getting much response here it seems . Have you tried any heat on the cast when trying to drive the pin out ? I wouldn't get to crazy with heat but maybe warm it up with just a propane torch prior to pounding it .

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Only about three things needed for this job. A small sledgehammer, the perfect size punch, and soak with penetrating fluid. One time I didn't have the correct size punch on a spiral pin.....and the center started coming out while leaving the outer edges. If the pin is hanging out of hole more than 1/16" ... you probably should trim it flush with a Dremel or a grinder somehow. If not...it could start to mushroom. Good luck! Just wondering what's the plan once you remove? That could help with recommendations ;)
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Google "Kroil". The aerosol can version is "Aero-Kroil". Best penetrating oil you can get in a can. PB Blaster is garbage in my book, no comparison.

As dag says, perfect size punch is important, and grind the top flush if needed. As mentioned, a little heat could help too.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><