New 982 Nikki carb

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

New 982 Nikki carb

Post by Rmowl »

Just installed one of the new manufactured nikki carb replacement. My original was running rich and decided to give this a shot. Seems to run better but still spitting and coughing fuel. I've adjusted the float, could it be the main jet?
too many IH cub cadets

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Re: New 982 Nikki carb

Post by Oak »

Rick, did you get one of those China knock off specials? I picked one up a month or so back but didn't get around to installing it yet. For $85 shipped to my door it was cheaper than a rebuild kit. :lol:

Just throwing this out there...Could you have a valve issue? Maybe do a compression or leak down test.

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Thanks for reply Todd. I checked compression 150 psi both sides. I did have a stuck valve I fixed back in the fall i guess due to not having the engine tin on when the previous owner worked on the starter. I have resurfaced the heads and put new gaskets. Installed new ignition coil. Yes the carb is the China one but I'm impressed with the quality. Mine was 115 shipped. This tractor has been giving me a real fit. Thought the new carb would cure everything. I had it going yesterday and it fired up quick and easily without the air filter on but the second I put it on it almost immediately shut down. The air filter is a brand new K&N which may be a problem as well, I have oem filter on the way. Even when the tractor was running great it would always run rich. I'm glad I didn't have to use the blower on it this winter, the one snow we had the other week came when I was on the road during the week and my neighbor plowed my drive. I used the 982 on some snow banks when I got back home just to play and as soon as it went under load it bogged down and wouldn't recover but that was with the old carb too. Sorry for long winded response just would love to get this tractor going again
too many IH cub cadets

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Just an outside shot and take it for what it's worth... does that motor still have a condenser? I've seen them idle fine and go wacky with any throttle or load and surge and spit fire with a bad condenser. Just a thought since you've covered a lot of other bases
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Rmowl

Post by Rmowl »

Thanks for reply, yes it does have a condenser and it's new! Went to fire it up the other day and starter stopped. Long story short have to pull the starter now..... Murphy's law with this 982
too many IH cub cadets