Stripped spark plug in head

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Ben Morong
First and Last Name: Ben Morong

Stripped spark plug in head

Post by Ben Morong »

I went and did it -- putting the spark plug back into a K161 in an Original and I stripped the threads. Had another head on the shelf, took it down and cleaned off the old carbon (still gooey after 3 or 4 years), and started checking for flatness. Got the sheet of glass, put a piece of 600 sandpaper on it and found the high spots. 600 didn't seem be doing much at all, changed to 320 and got a little better results, then finally wet it and it worked better. Got the head down to flat, removed some carbon from the top of the block, put on a new gasket (Stens was all I had), put on the head, torqued it down following the sequence and the torque in the book. Started the engine and it runs, and I shut it off right away.

Questions: Should I have put NeverSeize on the gasket? The old one seemed to have it on -- aluminum colored and actually felt kind of wet. And I know I should get the engine hot, then let it cool down and retorque the head, but how long do I run it? Just long enough to get it hot, or for 1/2 hour, or what? And do Helicoils work?
Cub Cadet Originals -- Ayuh! (and a couple of 124's, 125's, and a 1650 -- Yep!)

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Re: Stripped spark plug in head

Post by Jeff in Pa »

I run mine for a hour but people have said 15 minutes for the first time. I retorque after an addition 4-5 hours run time.

Heli coils will be fine for the repair if they are installed correctly. For a thru hole like a spark plug, a self locking heli coil would be better. They have a small flat on some of the coils to help keep it in place.

Jeff
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Heli-Coil makes a special kit for spark plug hole repair, and the shop I worked for liked them. Should be readily available at any good automotive or equipment repair shop. A Heli-Coil repair is generally considered to be a correct and proper repair.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Years ago I stripped the threads in the head of my 122 . The plug I was using only threaded about halfway into the head.... :?
I found another brand of plug that had deeper threads ( was probably the wrong heat range ) but was able to get down to the good threads . I eventually changed the head when I rebuilt the engine , but I got a couple more years out of it..
I have noticed that different brand of plugs don't always have the same thread depth , even though they cross to each other .
Anybody else ever notice this ?
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Jess,
That is why all the plug manufacturers recommend to go by their application listings rather than cross referencing.
Sometimes when you cross-reference they can jump heat ranges because some companies don't offer the same heat ranges as others.

Ben,
I know a lot of guys warm the engine, then let it cool off before re-torquing. I have had better luck re-torquing while they are still hot.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Todd-

That's interesting. I have never retorqued hot because the aluminum head expands more than the steel bolts, so theoretically the torque on the bolts would decrease when everything cools back down again, and the bolts may not be torqued enough.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Matt,

We had a K161 in a 71 that we used to work on for a guy. He used it really hard and mowed like 2 acres and this little 71 was his only mower. It may even be the 71 that my Dad now owns.

Anyhow this guy was bringing this tractor in every couple months with a blown head gasket. Each time we sanded the head on a piece of glass to make sure it was flat and used a new Kohler gasket. We even checked the block with a straight edge. We were following normal procedure of warming it up then letting it cool and re-torquing. I think we even replaced the bolts and chased the threads in the block. After doing this a half dozen times, We didn't know what to do. In desperation, we decided to try re-torquing it hot. It never came back again with a blown head gasket. I think it ran for a good 7 or 8 years then the guy traded it in. By that time the engine needed overhauled.

Ever since that, I always re-torque them hot and have never had a problem.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray