Running a tiller, which cub do I choose?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
JWT
First and Last Name: John Thomas

Running a tiller, which cub do I choose?

Post by JWT »

Hey, guys. Just joined your site yesterday. Thanks for having me. Going to look at some cubs this weekend. I have my choice of a 70 ($400) a 125 ($500) a 126 ($700) or a 147 ($500). I am leaning towards the 126 as it is a 3 speed with a creeper gear. I am told that this is preferable to a hydrostatic when running a tiller, which is my main purpose. Any thoughts on this?

All 4 of these include a mower, which would just be a backup for me for the time being but could certainly end up getting used a lot more in the future. The 126 was the first cub this guy acquired and therefore he put a lot more money into it than the others. It had an engine overhaul (maybe 10 years ago), steering box redone, etc, which is, I believe, a big part of why the price is higher on this than the others.

If everything checks out ok, I am buying a tiller from the same guy for $500. It is one of the full width ones versus those with the little extension deals added on. It has a new belt and does include the 90 degree gear box. $400 seems to be the going rate for tillers with extensions around here on craigslist (when available). I guess new belts are about $80, hence the premium, maybe.

I'm mainly in this for tilling purposes (it's getting to be that time, isn't it?). And, the mower is something I will very realistically use. I am definitely interested in pulling some small implements (disc, cultivator, plow, etc.), even if just for fun, if that makes any big difference on which tractor I choose.

Any thoughts on the 147's electric lift? Is that a big plus or not that big a deal? The same guy also has a snowblower, which isn't really something I'm on the hunt for at the moment. Are these easy enough to come by if I decide I want one in the future?

Well, it looks like I'm getting "diarrhea of the keyboard" here, so I'll give it a rest. Please chime in with any thoughts on any of these questions or anything else you think may be relevant. I would greatly appreciate the advice/wisdom/information. Any big signs to look for when looking at an old cub?

Thanks for your time!

John

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Running a tiller, which cub do I choose?

Post by ksanders »

Sounds like you've already done a lot of your research so i'll just give my opinion. I'd go with the 126. The tiller is a model 2 if it's the full width one and the model 70 will struggle with it with only 7hp. The 147 has the most horsepower but the electric lift struggles to pick up that much weight and can strip the internals under too much pressure. That leaves the 125 and 126 and if the 126 has a creeper I'd prefer it for both plowing and tilling. Hydrostats are hard to hold constant speed and the tiller can try to push the tractor forward while tilling. I use a 12hp gear drive for my model 2 tiller instead of my 782 just for this reason. The 782 is less consistent on speed with tiller in the ground and leaves more little "bumps" as it goes.
Now anything with hydro lift is a plus with a tiller but you definitely want a spring assist without it.
That's my opinion/preference
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Gear drive with a creeper would be my first choice.
I have tilled with a hydro and it’s not easy trying to maintain a consistent pace.

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Post by Rmowl »

Of the 3 options I'd say the 126 as well. If it's a handlift you'll definitely need a spring assist. Not bad with that, I had a no 2 tiller on a 127 once with spring assist and it was great. I have a 782 that's a dedicated tiller tractor and I'd never go back to anything else, it's such a pleasure to use it, lots of power on tap, electric pto and it's easy to operate, been using it for years with zero issues.
Attachments
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG (4.19 MiB) Viewed 7660 times
too many IH cub cadets

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

I have tilled with a 70 and a 1650 using nothing in between as a comparison so my experiences are very limited.
The 70 had been refitted with a K241 because the little engine had blown up from, well tilling. Now folks have every right to say 7 is enough, in this case I can only say with all due respect that 7 is NOT enough.
The 1650 while big and comfortable with plenty of power for the added tines seemed as though it tended to want to surge forward while breaking hard ground. For me it just did not seem as sure footed and confident as that well worn little narrow frame did, It tracked straight and true without ever missing a step. While third gear with it seemed a bit excessive for the best desired results, second turned that hard pack Jersey clay into potting soil. Also with the 1650, there could be no pointing to a worn trunion assembly as it had just been replaced.
So my vote goes to the creeper fitted gear drive. As noted, it's a big implement. Consider adding a spring assist. It is proven possible to add a hydro lift to the 1x6,7 series with only very minor modification to the PTO engagement rod required, as I have one. If doing so you will find that the frame mounting holes are already there, it's pretty much a bolt on and go with them. However one of these secondary units will not fit on the 147 machine due to the larger style flywheel and frame relief.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Men
The 147 can be adapted to add the hydro lift. The pulley needs to be added. Well a second pulley anyway. Take a spare pulley cut off the hub and through drill the taped holes.use longer bolts and double stack the 2 pulleys thisfixes the flywheel issues. Instructions are out there for the holes in the frame. Rock shaft just needs a longer bolt.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Interesting. Looking closer now I suppose that there IS adequate clearance for the frame elongation on the 147.
DSCN7768.JPG
DSCN7768.JPG (326.37 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
Pretty cool that when it gets said something can't be done somebody comes along and does it. I never saw anything in the books about that one :lol:
I'd like to see a shot of that modification to the drive pulley, is that possible Joe?

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Does the 147 rocker shaft modification look like this?
DSCN2731.JPG
DSCN2731.JPG (93.65 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
I do not even remember now what I was trying to achieve at the time :oops:

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Or maybe it was this
DSCN2654.JPG
DSCN2654.JPG (90.61 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
I guess I could say I forgot by now :P

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Ken,
The last picture is what you will have to do.Easier than reworking the original one that is correct for the E lift.
Do you have one mounted on a 147?

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Lew, I remember now. I had to think about that one on my way to work this Afternoon.
I had been fitting a 147 rocker shaft on to a 126 because I was missing an all important hydro lift mounting bracket that is known as item # 19.
It was only after I had all the pieces staged up on a work bench when I realized that the electric lift and hydro pumps do not share the same center line location.
After taking measurements I fabricated up this spacer to compensate for those varying locations.
DSCN2588.JPG
DSCN2588.JPG (89.48 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
It was at about that same time when you contacted me to let me know that you had several of the #19 mounting brackets on hand.
A couple of days later this thing showed up in my mailbox.
DSCN2702.JPG
DSCN2702.JPG (133.18 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
From that point on I changed direction. Even at the start I did not really care for the way the 147 rocker shaft would have looked. Also, I did not want to have to use one of those safety cages either. It all extended out more than it had to any without purpose. I disc ground off the unnecessary section.
DSCN7119.JPG
DSCN7119.JPG (247.3 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
From there I was able to use it as any other shortened hydro lift rocker shaft. This also saved a perfectly good manual rocker shaft from the hacksaw. After I had the modified 147 rocker shaft mounted in place everything was a bolt on and go.
The end result gave me the more compact and correct look that I had been looking for from the beginning.
DSCN7766.JPG
DSCN7766.JPG (276.07 KiB) Viewed 7623 times

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ken
I’ll try to dig out the 147 for tiller duty this spring... errr summer the way things are going! The rock shaft mod in your last picture is correct. Or remove 7/8” and reweld.... I don’t have pictures of the pulley mod as that was 15 years ago maybe more! But should be able to show the finished product.

JWT

Post by JWT »

Hey, guys. Happy Monday! Thanks for all the responses. Disappointingly, the 126 with the creeper was gone and I had to settle for the 147. Got the tiller mounted this weekend and took care of the garden before it rained. Probably going to go a different route for the 3 acre pumpkin patch, though. It would take longer to till the rows than plant them. Might go a little quicker if we disc first, then till.
I do have a "heel horse" plow (the w is worn off) and will probably pick up a Brinly (I think) cultivator, shortly.
Suprisingly (to me, anyway) the electric left has been able to lift the tiller. There is a helper spring, though, and I find myself reaching back to help lift every time just to be on the safe side.
Anybody have any tips on tilling with a hydrostat? I seemed be doing a lot of starting and stopping on the garden. At least I knew what I was getting into ahead of time, so, no major disappointments. Any interesting modifications or upgrades anyone wants to mention on a 147 or similar tractor?
I May be on the lookout for a better tilling tractor in the next year or so. Given your druthers, what would you use for tilling?

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Do a search on this site or Google "trunion repair". It's a set of springs on the hydrostat you can replace the springs on and even shim a bit with washers and make the hydro more responsive. It's possible it's badly worn and needs service anyway. Might help the start/stop some instead of trying a different tractor. You have to pull the rear end on that one I think but a good little repair/upgrade to make.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

JWT

Post by JWT »

Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely look into the trunion repair. Will probably wait until done for the season or at least until I won't be needing it for a few weeks as those tear apart projects have a habit of sitting half-done if you know what I mean.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Did someone say trunion repair. Just did this to the 1650 on Saturday. It's not perfect..but much better. Hard with the stick machine.
IMG_20180519_103641200.jpg
IMG_20180519_103641200.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 7598 times
IMG_20180519_112614618.jpg
IMG_20180519_112614618.jpg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 7598 times
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JWT

Post by JWT »

Anyone ever changed it over to a foot control or a lever that's a little more user friendly (i.e. not under the steering wheel)?