Carburetor repair

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Carburetor repair

Post by chzuck »

Has anyone installed a full length throttle shaft bushing in the #30 carburetor. I have two that I installed the repair bushing and now they are worn sloppy again. I got maybe 10 years use. Has anyone had the throttle shaft bore oversized and installed a full length bushing?
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: Carburetor repair

Post by Klapatta »

They can be bored oversize but to accept a full length bushing I do not know about. I went to 9/32" and made a new butterfly shaft.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Charlie....I don't know if u could get a few pics of this project. Sounds interesting.....
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Charlie, my personal conclusion was there was not adequate surrounding material to support a full length bushing hence I went with an oversize shaft instead. But my being cautious about it does not mean that it can't be done and I was not about to bother with the added expense when a new shaft could be made just as easy. It was one of the longer ones with the larger C shaped stamped linkages. After cutting the top orientation flats on the shaft I silver soldered that in place.
The carb body itself clamps nicely in the milling machine vise with it's 2 flat surfaces. Because of the constant one direction pulling the upper hole will be egg shaped to one side so I thought it important to maintain position to avoid the butterfly from binding. The lower hole showed far less wear and as I recall I found a snug fitting econo pin and trammed in off of that, and then plunged straight down with the over size end mill. Because the lower hole was in good shape rather than open that as well I turned a step on the lower end of new shaft to let it slip in.
It's been on service for many years now and has held up very well.

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

Klapatta wrote:Charlie, my personal conclusion was there was not adequate surrounding material to support a full length bushing hence I went with an oversize shaft instead. But my being cautious about it does not mean that it can't be done and I was not about to bother with the added expense when a new shaft could be made just as easy. It was one of the longer ones with the larger C shaped stamped linkages. After cutting the top orientation flats on the shaft I silver soldered that in place.
The carb body itself clamps nicely in the milling machine vise with it's 2 flat surfaces. Because of the constant one direction pulling the upper hole will be egg shaped to one side so I thought it important to maintain position to avoid the butterfly from binding. The lower hole showed far less wear and as I recall I found a snug fitting econo pin and trammed in off of that, and then plunged straight down with the over size end mill. Because the lower hole was in good shape rather than open that as well I turned a step on the lower end of new shaft to let it slip in.
It's been on service for many years now and has held up very well.
Now your idea sounds like an idea worth pursuing. A fellow at my church is a machinist and has a shop at home.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow