Backfiring engine

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
swampfox
First and Last Name: James Beers

Backfiring engine

Post by swampfox »

Good morning to all my son just bought a model 104 that didn't run for a long time ,when we did get it running it started backfiring for the exhaust. I am trying to refresh my memory on which direction to go first.

mrbrown
First and Last Name: Mike Brown

Re: Backfiring engine

Post by mrbrown »

Exhaust valve is stuck. Get a new head gasket, clean the carbon off and free up the valves. Mike

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Post by Rmowl »

Could very well be the exhaust valves. Check the ignition points are timed properly, and the carb is tuned correctly as well. Improperly timed points can cause a backfire through the exhaust
too many IH cub cadets

swampfox

Post by swampfox »

Thank you guys for your input, that is the direction I was thinking .And after further inspection we found the head gasket to be bad,and the carb leaking at the bowl. I'll keep you posted on our results.

swampfox

Post by swampfox »

When we removed the head we found an oily carbon mess packed around the exhaust valve and in the relief for the valve. Luckily the valves were not stuck ,but the carbon kept the exhaust valve from closing. After a good cleaning ,we installed a new head gasket ,rebuilt the carb, set the points at .020 they were at .025,new plug .It started right up ,but is smoking which explains the oily carbon. Now we have to work on the throttle linkage because it will not come up past about half way when the lever is at it's maximum. Once again thank you for your input. Jim