Fuel Tank Shut-off Valve ???

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Fuel Tank Shut-off Valve ???

Post by BearKiller »

Of course I had just filled the gasoline tank on my 129, plumb into the neck, when the starter solenoid decides to quit working.

The only way I see to access the solenoid is to drain and remove the tank, hence my question.

The inline filter is very recently new.

With the fuel-cap off and the tank shut-off valve all the way open, I was expecting the fuel to gush out and empty the tank in a matter of minutes; as it is, I am only getting a weak little stream that is taking forever.

Is this normal or should the fuel really pour through there ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Re: Fuel Tank Shut-off Valve ???

Post by Rmowl »

Why drain the tank? Do you have the factory style petcock on the tank? If so there is a filter protruding into the tank that can get clogged, I don't run any other filter. I always shut the valve off, remove the four bolts from the dash and remove the two 5/16 screws from the vanity plates (if yours still has them) and take the tank off.
too many IH cub cadets

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

Rmowl wrote:Why drain the tank? Do you have the factory style petcock on the tank? If so there is a filter protruding into the tank that can get clogged, I don't run any other filter. I always shut the valve off, remove the four bolts from the dash and remove the two 5/16 screws from the vanity plates (if yours still has them) and take the tank off.
So far as I can tell, it is the factory petcock.

If I still have this in-tank filter, how do I access it ?

What are these "vanity plates" ?

Thanks.

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Post by Rmowl »

Here is what the factory petcock or drain valve looks like. An aftermarket one I purchase off Amazon is on the left, notice shorter filter. Factory original on right minus the valve handle. Part number for that is 7-02351. Here is a picture of the plates I referenced. I prefer to remove the tank supports for easier access. You may not have the plates, they are missing a lot of times, seems that when people worked on them they neglected to put them back on most of the time, been my experience.
Attachments
IMG_2330.JPG
IMG_2330.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2644 times
IMG_2331.JPG
IMG_2331.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2644 times
IMG_2332.JPG
IMG_2332.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 2644 times
too many IH cub cadets

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

Thank you so much !

If you hadn't told and shown me, I may have never known the filter made onto the shut-off valve even existed; I bet the one on mine is mostly clogged up.

Thanks for the pictures of the vanity plates; that explains the mystery of what those two threaded holes on my tank brackets are for; and, yes, I never got them with the mower.