129 Carb Gaskets ?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

129 Carb Gaskets ?

Post by BearKiller »

I discovered my carburetor was dripping fuel when the engine was off, probably also when it was running.

I removed the carburetor, checked and cleaned things up; I slowed down the drip, but did not stop it.

This sent me on a quest for some new gaskets:

https://www.amazon.com/Harbot-Carbureto ... D9298TMAKB

I remember seeing the big gasket; however, I do not remember seeing anything like the little "rubber band" ; pray tell, where does that go ?

I am assuming the bigger of the two little gaskets goes on the bowl bolt; does the smaller one go on the needle seat, or where ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

mortten
First and Last Name: Doug Anderson

Re: 129 Carb Gaskets ?

Post by mortten »

The big rubber band looking one is the float bowl gasket. Yes, the two smaller round gaskets ate for the bowl bolt and the seat for the needle valve. They are a solid paper like material, not rubber. Instructions should be included. If not, download the repair manual for your tractor or the Kohler engine manual.

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

Thank you for the information.

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

Well..., this adventure was a big flop.
The only thing correct in the double kit were the gaskets.

My original needle seat had a big screw-driver slot in the top and it only took me a couple seconds to see why; the new seat has a hex down at the bottom end --- where it is impossible to get at with a wrench on account of where it goes; no screw-driver slot; so, I ended up using long-nose pliers to get it screwed in >>>>> my troubles had only began.

Once I got the new seat secured, I started to insert the new needle; no go; both new needles were about 1/32" larger in diameter than the hole where they were supposed to reside; ........so, I ended up long-nose pliering the new seat back out and replacing the old one.

The original needle has a wire clip at the top end that attaches to the float; the new needles had no such clip.

Although my original float hinge-pin was good, I compared it to the new one; the new pin was exactly 1/64" smaller diameter than the original and about 1/4" shorter.

I did manage to get my leak stopped using the flimsy new gaskets, so it wasn't a complete loss.

I called Amazon customer service and they refunded my money and told me to just discard the pieces; so, all I was out was my valuable time.

Ben Morong
First and Last Name: Ben Morong

Post by Ben Morong »

I had the same experience -- old inlet valve was 3/8" and I had a small socket turned down so it'd fit in; new kit's valve was 10mm and nothing would fit to screw it in. Used the gaskets, stopped the leak.
Cub Cadet Originals -- Ayuh! (and a couple of 124's, 125's, and a 1650 -- Yep!)

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

What carb do you have? Carter or walbro? Sounds like you have a walbro. If so keep it going as longs as you can and it messed up again find a Carter. 3/8 socket 1/4” Drive fits perfect. I only use OEM Kohler kits they always fit right. Last I recall around 12-15$ for the 25-757-01 used on the Carter carbs.

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

JMotuzick wrote:What carb do you have? Carter or walbro? Sounds like you have a walbro. If so keep it going as longs as you can and it messed up again find a Carter. 3/8 socket 1/4” Drive fits perfect. I only use OEM Kohler kits they always fit right. Last I recall around 12-15$ for the 25-757-01 used on the Carter carbs.
My original looks just like all the Carters I have seen in pictures, but it might be a Walbro; how does one tell ?

I have since replaced it with a new one from EBay that, while definitely not American, has seemingly cured all of my carburetor problems.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Post a picture of what you have, both are stamped right into the carb. But! Kohler bought Carter and took off the name.

jdudding
First and Last Name: Joey Dudding

Post by jdudding »

I have been looking for carbs. also and I don't see any that I would like to try any one have any suggestions on one to get new? Thanks, Joey.

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

jdudding wrote:I have been looking for carbs. also and I don't see any that I would like to try any one have any suggestions on one to get new? Thanks, Joey.
On recommendation from a guy who has already employed at least twenty of them, this is the one I got (I see that the price has went up; I only paid $24.99 delivered for the one I got last week):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Car ... 2749.l2649

I spent quite a bit more than that in trying to save my old original and this one ran better straight out of the box than my old one has since I got the machine.

Previous owners had bent and burred-up various internals of my original.

Choosing a carburetor is a bit overwhelming in that surprisingly there are hundreds of import knockoffs to choose from on both Amazon and EBay; the more expensive ones have the worst reviews, possibly because people who pay more expect more.

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

JMotuzick wrote:Post a picture of what you have, both are stamped right into the carb. But! Kohler bought Carter and took off the name.
I will get a picture in a day or two.

Did Kohler buy ALL of Carter, or just this particular model ?

I have several Carter fuel delivery pumps on my collection of 6BT Cummins powered trucks, including piston, diaphragm, and electric, and they all have Carter emblazoned all over them.
None of the trucks rely on the electrics for normal running, but they can be called into immediate action at the flip of a switch; I use the electrics for priming empty filters and also for transferring fuel from the truck's tank to whatever may need a bit of diesel fuel.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

As far as a little know just the carbs for the Kohler engines.