Front Wheel Bearing on my 129 ???

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Front Wheel Bearing on my 129 ???

Post by BearKiller »

I have always religiously greased the front wheel Alemites on my 129; of course, I have no idea whether they were ever greased during the first forty-some-odd years.

I noticed this evening that, from all appearances, the left-front wheel bearing must be completely gone.

I read somewhere about someone replacing the integral wheel/bearing setup with separate tapered bearing hubs and bolt-on wheels; is such a thing commonly available ?

How am I going to fix this mess, preferably on a no-income budget ?
I would assume the bearings are replaceable ?

On EDIT: I found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-WHEEL-BEARIN ... m570.l1313

It doesn't say 129; will they work ?

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: Front Wheel Bearing on my 129 ???

Post by JMotuzick »

Those are correct for your 129 and any other pre-1975 cub Cadet, the exception being the original it used brass bushings. It seams the new bearings nomatter the source are not quite as durable as the older ones. I try to keep a couple sets on the shelf, but then I have 10 cubs that use theses and often do repairs for others.

BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Post by BearKiller »

JMotuzick wrote:Those are correct for your 129 and any other pre-1975 cub Cadet, the exception being the original it used brass bushings.
Thanks.

The seller messaged me the dimensions and I will post them here for when someone else stumbles upon this page.

1-3/8" O.D. x 3/4" I.D.

He did not know whether the 129 was included in the fitment range; I will inform him of what you said and get me a set on the way.

jeaston
First and Last Name: Jeff Easton

Post by jeaston »

My 149 recently wore out the inner bearing on one side. I got replacements from the local NAPA dealer for around $6-7 buck each. The P/N on the bag was 7-04292. They have a book that will cross reference the old IH p/n, but it seems to be a common bearing for a lot of older garden tractors. The spindle was scored a little and it was difficult to get the inner race of the old bearing to slide off so I grabbed a piece of 220 grit fine sandpaper and did a little sanding on the trouble spot. The scored spot was in between where the inner and outer bearing sits on the spindle so I wasn't too concerned about changing the seating surface too much.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Good info Jeff.... and welcome.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.