Bought a Yellow and white 982 oddball

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ford861
First and Last Name: Larry Weedon

Bought a Yellow and white 982 oddball

Post by ford861 »

I just purchase a yellow and white 982 cub cadet from the original owner's "estate" (Low Hours 130 it looks like) it was in a dry garage for 12 years!

it was sold and serviced by the local farm equipment dealer from the time it was new!

Everything, I have been reading says there were no yellow 982 tractors made for sale to the public.

I have attached some pictures for a second opinion. The one thing, I did notice.....there IS red paint under the yellow....I am a "old car guy" and this paint job looks like it was applied at the factory!....OVER the original Red paint...NO yellow paint over spray anywhere....even the front axle is yellow and But, it has a aluminum rear end housing.

The 982 runs and cuts like new with a new fuel pump and battery.

Thanks for the help
Attachments
cub 1.jpg
cub 1.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 7096 times
cub 2.jpg
cub 2.jpg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 7096 times
cub vin.jpg
cub vin.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 7096 times
hour meter.jpg
hour meter.jpg (20.88 KiB) Viewed 7096 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Bought a Yellow and white 982 oddball

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome! Nice find. I'm not up on all the serial number breaks. I'm just wondering if this was a creation of the previous owner. Yellow paint is surely a repaint....and not sure if it looks factory. From your pictures it looks like a cast iron rear end. I'm sure someone knows more...but I have only seen yellow 982s with the newer different hood decals. Idk.....this is interesting. Thanks for sharing.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Post by Rmowl »

I saw that one on the site, I was working down at George Washington birthplace at the time just 45 minutes south of Fredericksburg . Was gonna get it but left Thursday evening pickup was Friday. I don’t think that’s factory yellow paint, you can see red under the IH serial plate. Cast iron rear, every IH 82 series I’ve seen or owned has been red. Some CCC rigs still had the cast rear until inventory ran out but had the Cub Cadet Corporation plate, made in Cleveland, OH on them. Still a nice machine
too many IH cub cadets

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

That one could have been a repaint but mtd did sell yellow and white x82 series tractors after 1981 but still made some of them red for the IH dealers to fulfill an existing contract when they bought cub cadet from IH or something like that. I've seen several yellow ones and have owned a 482 and 782. I've also had some where the 3 pt was either red and repainted yellow or vice versa to match the tractor.

As stated, all IH built ones are red though
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Acording to the s/n IH rig for sure. My guess early dealer repaint or maybe mtd re-painted some old stock for the new dealers selling Ccc tractors. Does the dash say “international cub Cadet” or just cub Cadet?

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I'm having a hard time thinking that even MTD would let something like that leave the shop. They would have changed the ID tag. The Red under the floor mats....and on the tunnel cover looks like a home job. The decal too....not MTD. I'm sticking with "home made" yellow 982.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Hood decals look correct for a y/w 982 no CCC logo though?

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

This is the only hood i have seen on yellow 982s. Oh yeah...black front axle too. This is like a good mystery movie. Hopefully original poster can give us some more close up pics
resize.jpeg
resize.jpeg (107.83 KiB) Viewed 7031 times

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Dag
You may be right. Those decals are for a red 982 not a y/w 982.... the more I see the more I think it’s a early repaint. Dealer PO or by CCC

cubcountry
First and Last Name: Mark Scheller

Post by cubcountry »

I've had lots of yellow and white 82 series,including two or three 982's,but the decals were all the wider style.The OP's tractor is a repaint.Just my 2 cents....

ford861
First and Last Name: Larry Weedon

Post by ford861 »

Hi everyone...There a couple of other things I would like to add to the information about this "Oddball cub", the dash has "INTERNATIONAL CUB CADET" embossed on it ...is this for the red cub cadet or the later yellow one? also, I stated that the rear end was aluminum...let me be more specific, the center housing is cast iron with the outer hubs being made of aluminum with dual disc brakes. The white mower deck has a "IH" decal affixed to the top of it.... hope this helps!
if anyone would like to see a picture of something in particular, please let me know
Thanks Ford861

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Thanks Larry. Its a nice tractor.....but I'm pretty sure what you have is a red 982 made by international harvester. At some point in it's life an owner gave it an updated look.
Use it as is....or if your looking for fun....take it back to it's former glory. Red 982s are very collected. Those typically came with the Onan engine....but could have been swapped out at this point.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

As Dag said they originally came with the 19.9 Onan engine . They also had INTERNATIONAL CUB CADET on the dash , the later 82's just say CUB CADET . You have the red 982 hood decals and that is the correct red IH serial number tag . I own 4 red 982's so I'm pretty well versed in what should be correct on them . They should also have red front and rear axles under that yellow paint . You might want to look at them closely and see if there might be red paint slowing thru the yellow where the paints worn or scratched . I believe the yellow and white supers had black axles .

The only thing that has me scratching my head is the one picture of the IH serial tag that has masking tape or the faint outline of something in the paint at the bottom of the tag ?? I know the CCC tag was slightly larger and the hole spacing was slightly wider where it was riveted to the frame , but I don't see any extra holes in the frame if it was changed . :dontknow:
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

515Dave
First and Last Name: David Ropte

Post by 515Dave »

My vote is that it's definitely been repainted, and probably well after it left the factory. I bet if you pull up those hood decals you'll find red paint under them. MTD used black axles because they wanted to use a common color for those components to minimize the amount of differences between the red tractors for IH and the yellow/white ones for CCC dealers. So both yellow/white and red 82 series tractors would have had black and not yellow.

All 82 series cub cadets have aluminum axle tubes, as do later quietlines. Later MTD built 82 series (s/n break at 720,000) also have a cast aluminum center housing that they used with minor changes all the way up through the cyclops.

Everything I see there adds up to it being a repainted red 982. Awesome tractor though!