Cub Cadet Snow Blowers

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
jdudding
First and Last Name: Joey Dudding

Cub Cadet Snow Blowers

Post by jdudding »

I am thinking about trying a Cub Cadet with a snow blower instead of a snow plow and was wondering if I could get some ideas on what works the best. I am leaning more towards a narrow frame I can get a gear drive tractor with hyd. lift.that way but I might find a wide frame easier in my area. My driveway is paved but not flat its got some grade to but not to steep I don't think. Would a snow blower get down to the pavement is what I am wondering more than anything to. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance. Joey.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Cub Cadet Snow Blowers

Post by dag1450 »

Man....if I were in your shoes I'm not sure what I would do. How many measurable snow storms do u get each year down there? One of the really nice things about a blower is you can remove the snow and place it far enough back to get prepared for the next storm. I would have to think your snow would be of the wet heavy type that typically most newer 2 stage blowers don't like. But in contrast the single stage blowers for the narrow frame and the wide frame like to eat wet snow pretty good. I would definitely look for a hydro as with that you can ease into the snow and regulate your speed accordingly to condition. The newer version of single stage qa36a and 42a have a much upgraded auger and paddles....and driveshaft safety cover. If you do shop for a single stage thrower.... really feel the drivetrain on the thrower...lots of moving parts on there and some are not cheap. Good luck and keep us posted.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

Dag1450 thank you for the info yes our snows are mostly wet heavy snows sometimes they are dry we don't know what winter will bring us anymore. I was thinking about a hydro. to get the hyd. lift mostly and I am going to leave the blower on the tractor as I have gear drives for mowing and working around the house. I need to look for a single stage blower what is the wide frame tractor that it would work on and that would be the 42 blower? I am going to start looking this week so would you let me know what I need to be looking for. Thank You, Joey.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Imho
Single stage bowers are a pain! From what I hear/read they only work in the dry stuff from the mid-west. They sure as heck don’t work on the graveyard wet stuff in the north east!

I should add that I only used a Qa42 once on a hydro lift 125 about 20 years ago now. I switched to a Plow after one storm. My 2 stage use is about the same one storm of sleet 20” +- about 2 years ago on a 3205. The 3000 did good but only tossed it about 10 feet. I’ll stick to plows on cubs and plows on 4x4 trucks!

Loaders also are great for pushing back the banks the day after.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Run two setups to suit needs and conditions.
Use the blade for the wet miserable stuff that we have been seeing more and more of here lately
DSCN7647.JPG
DSCN7647.JPG (295.04 KiB) Viewed 14626 times
DSCN7648.JPG
DSCN7648.JPG (379.3 KiB) Viewed 14626 times
Save the single stage thrower for the mid density and light powder stuff.
DSCN7004.JPG
DSCN7004.JPG (169.68 KiB) Viewed 14626 times
DSCN7007.JPG
DSCN7007.JPG (164.88 KiB) Viewed 14626 times
Now, people will come along and say oh you can't slip the clutch throwing snow on a gear drive- it will wear the clutch out.
That's a bunch of nonsense. I have been slipping the clutch on that 126 for fifteen years and nothing has ever happened. People presume things with little actual experience.
The real issue for us this year is all the freeze/thaw cycles like the ground can't make it's mind up. I had to go out there today with my little driveway dragger thing and redirect all of that water. No point in here doing a glass smooth job- it will only be back around again :lol:
DSCN8252.JPG
DSCN8252.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 14626 times

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

I tried the blade on my 582 Cub Cadet when we had the snow in March it was around 15in and wet the 582 couldn't push it go a little and start spinning. I was wondering if there is any difference in like a 108,1200 or narrow frames if anyone has tried wide frames and narrow frames let me know because I could get my buddy's 126 Cub and try a blade on it. I could play with the weight a little more this winter as I have more weight to chose from now I have been testing different setups for mowing my yard. Thanks again for the info and input it all helps. Joey.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Keep in mind it's all about weight transfer rather than any specific model. The more an implement weighs over the front of a machine the more it takes away from the rear where it matters. This is specially true with the heavy snow throwers or blowers.
Chains are a must under winter conditions on any surfaces or grades. One thinking they can get by without them is wasting their time even with flat surfaces.
But for the larger part it goes back to weight transfer.
Here is a thrower fitted 126. It has 104 pounds of weight bolted at the wheels. Notice the 2 link chains.
DSCN3622.JPG
DSCN3622.JPG (156.82 KiB) Viewed 14622 times
It also has 110 pounds of ingot packed under the seat
DSCN0870.JPG
DSCN0870.JPG (97.82 KiB) Viewed 14622 times
Here is a blade fitted 102. It has 156 pounds of weight bolted at the wheels, 80 pounds of lead ingot above the rear hitch with another 20 under the seat.
DSCN3627.JPG
DSCN3627.JPG (169.41 KiB) Viewed 14622 times

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

JMotuzick wrote:Imho
Single stage bowers are a pain! From what I hear/read they only work in the dry stuff from the mid-west. They sure as heck don’t work on the graveyard wet stuff in the north east!

I should add that I only used a Qa42 once on a hydro lift 125 about 20 years ago now. I switched to a Plow after one storm. My 2 stage use is about the same one storm of sleet 20” +- about 2 years ago on a 3205. The 3000 did good but only tossed it about 10 feet. I’ll stick to plows on cubs and plows on 4x4 trucks!

Loaders also are great for pushing back the banks the day after.
Single stage snow throwers work just fine. You won't throw wet snow far but it will clear the driveway.

I have a 125 ( 12 hp Hydro ) with hydraulic lift and a QA-42 snow thrower.

Watch how well it works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfWy8jbj_GY

with soft cab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLgkDMeiMD8
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Yeah... thanks for backing me up Jeff... ;) I have always had good luck with the cub single stage thrower no matter the variety of snow. Over the years I have heard many scoffers...so maybe we are the lucky ones Jeff :lol:
Im still thinking down in VA you should be able to get away with a snow plow. Of course, like has been said.... with good tire chains and extra weight.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

It seems like years since we last had a proper snowstorm. Mostly all that we get anymore is grease or ice.
These were taken back in Dec. of 2010. Oh sure, there's been some big ones since then but they are not like how it once was.
DSCN0593.JPG
DSCN0593.JPG (67.27 KiB) Viewed 14606 times
DSCN0598.JPG
DSCN0598.JPG (70.18 KiB) Viewed 14606 times
DSCN0595.JPG
DSCN0595.JPG (58.17 KiB) Viewed 14606 times
Notice the power and phone lines in this shot, the power lines are at least 15 feet up.
DSCN0618.JPG
DSCN0618.JPG (79.79 KiB) Viewed 14606 times

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I’ll stand by what I said about light fluffy stuff best for the single stage. Wet is no good! If your using one as your primary snow mover, like ken said have a Plow on another. Not sure where you are in VA but the closer you are to the ocean I’m guessing the water/faster melt. You might be able to get away with one, we still have snow from the storm back in mid-November, mind you it’s just the piles I made. I guess my point is if it melts fast and it’s light/fluffy and you have a small space you’ll be ok. If it sticks like it does here, have a 600’ driveway on a steep grade like I do and get wet stuff like we do, forget a single stage blower!

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

JMotuzick wrote:I’ll stand by what I said about light fluffy stuff best for the single stage. Wet is no good! If your using one as your primary snow mover, like ken said have a Plow on another. Not sure where you are in VA but the closer you are to the ocean I’m guessing the water/faster melt. You might be able to get away with one, we still have snow from the storm back in mid-November, mind you it’s just the piles I made. I guess my point is if it melts fast and it’s light/fluffy and you have a small space you’ll be ok. If it sticks like it does here, have a 600’ driveway on a steep grade like I do and get wet stuff like we do, forget a single stage blower!
First couple years I had the QA42 on the 125 and a front blade on the 122. The 125 with the QA42 did such a good job every single time the front blade got stuck against the wall and hasn't been used since.

Even with wet, heavy snow the QA42 will clear the driveway from the far side. Plus no annoying piles of snow as winter progresses.

I'll do what works best for me and you can do what you want :beer:

Jeff

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Jeff, they are good for making Cubbie holes too :lol:
DSCN6950.JPG
DSCN6950.JPG (285.92 KiB) Viewed 14594 times
They don't ramp up the way the blades do
DSCN7660.JPG
DSCN7660.JPG (229.08 KiB) Viewed 14594 times
But they are far from perfect :P
DSCN0818.JPG
DSCN0818.JPG (57.04 KiB) Viewed 14594 times

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Last pic, I see you found out they use 1/2-13 bolts to hold it together :lol:

One year I was clearing snow and found a 1/2-13 bolt in the driveway. When I got to a heavier snow area, I found out where it went :o

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Nope. Look closer at the photo. The thrower housing mounting point tore clean away and is still attached to the sub frame. Poor factory welds. Note the replacement thrower alongside- I swapped it out in the middle of a snow storm right where it failed, miserable job that was.
It was repairable. I did that some months later :lol: This was about ten years ago.
DSCN0120.JPG
DSCN0120.JPG (112.57 KiB) Viewed 14577 times
DSCN0153.JPG
DSCN0153.JPG (82.71 KiB) Viewed 14577 times
Merry Christmas everyone :D

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Jeff I’ll agree to the last statement! Do what works best for you!

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

I want to thank everyone for the info this is a lot help as I am still tossing around ideas on what I am going to do. I cleared the driveway when I lived at home growing up and I used a 100 Cub Cadet till the motor went in it and my dad got a 122 Cub Cadet to replace it with and they done a real job I pushed other driveways around the neighborhood also. I was just thinking that a snow blower would move the snow out of the way and I might have less traction issues as I don't have much weight to play with right now but I will have to look pretty hard in my neck of the woods for a snow blower thats why I am asking about what tractor to have it on because that will depend on what snow blower that I can find. Joey.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I have used everything from a 20" Toro paddle thrower to a 6 1/2' blade on a truck. My drive ways need a snowthrower. I have used a CW36 on a 100 with a creeper. I have used a QA42A on a 1250 with cab and hyd lift. I have plowed with a 70 and my 2072. For me using a plow is moving the same snow a dozen times, snowthrower it's moving it once.
Single stage worked fine and I get dry fluffy lake effect and wet heavy system snow. If I was going to use a Cub and a snowthrower again it would be a 149 and a QA42A, 2 link chains with V lugs and every ounce of weight I could find. Dry snow you can stuff it full and if you have enough power it works great, trying to putt along didn't work for me. Wet snow is similar but I would take a smaller bite. I had a 2 stage on my 882 and it was such a PITA to mount and dismount I used it 1 or 2 winters and decided I was not going to fight with it. It worked ok but nothing to write home about.
What am I doing now?.......24" 2 stage walk behind.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Big mike
Next nor-easter you can use my spare bed room. Let me know your choice king and I’ll mount a Qa42 on a 147 I have here. It will be manual lift, sorry the electric is long gone. When you get clogged up I’ll just push things out of the way for you with my pick up!

Joey
I guess the moral is to get what you can go though it completely make sure it’s doing it’s best. Then decide if it’s what works for you! Ps if you want that Qa42 I’ll be in DC for the new year. I’ll bring it south and let it go at a fair price. You just need to drive north to meet me....

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

JMotuzick thank you I have some leads on some I am going to check them out when I can. I also am going to look at some ATV's to that is what you see clearing driveways around here any more. I am hoping a buddy of mine has one setup on tractor and I can try it out and I can go from there he has a little of every thing never thought to ask him before. I know he has a Haban cycle bar mower still in the crate he says he is not going to open it up but I will see about that later. Thanks everyone for the help. Joey.

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

I have had good success with a QA42 on my Cub 147. I also have a Cub 70/100 with a 42" blade. The blade works well up to a 10" snow. I usually do not mount the blower until I hear the weather guessers call for over 10". I have used it in some wet snows. Got to keep the blower full of snow to get it to work well. One problem I see is the hot air from the engine blowing on the chute. I block off the screen in the grill, forcing the air out the sides and that seems to cut down on chute clogs. A few years ago we had a 31" snow and it worked like a charm. Last year I found a seller on ebay offering drive sprockets with 1 more tooth. Speeds up the auger some but I never figured out how much.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

cwcub
First and Last Name: Corey Wilder

Post by cwcub »

My thrower is a 36” on a1450 and I have been pleased with its performance. Ya when the snow is wet, real wetit will clog up once in a while but finding the proper feed rate usually keeps things moving. I try to hit it in the morning when things are cold. No it doesn’t throw wet snow far but a blade doesn’t throw it at all. One pass and move the the next no wrinkle to deal with. I put anti freeze in my rear tires + chains does fine. I also have a blade but prefer the blower on the hard pack surface. Perfect for paved driveway. If you find one check for slop on the pivot point for chain adjustment if it’s sloppy it won’t hold chain adjustments. I had to drill mine out to 5/8 and put a 5/8 shouldered bolt in it works fine. I also put a speed up sprocket on but haven’t noticed a significant difference. I think the blowers can be adjusted to fit wide or narrow frame. Hope that helps. Good luck
cwcub 1450 1650 1872 782

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

The stock 14-24 tooth count yields a driven .583 to 1 ratio.
The 15 tooth (one up) conversion yields a driven .625 to 1 ratio.

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

Hi everyone just wanted to say we had one good snow and we have had sleet and snow mixes that I would have needed a plow. I have found a 1872 SGT and was wondering how much weight can you add to a alumn. rear end? I am thinking about picking it up and making a snow plow tractor out of it we don't get big snows a lot so I am hoping that I can plow during a big snow when we get one. Would the hydro be good for plowing snow I wouldn't push it real hard and I am going to use a 42in IH blade on it I got one I need to some use out of. Thanks, Joey.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I have liquid loaded 23-12-12 goodyears plus black plastic wheel weights on my 2072. With lugged 2 link chains it was a snow plowing beast!
I would much rather plow with a hydro than a gear drive......no clutching.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I agree hydro is the way to Plow!

My 1872 loader has about 400lbs of scrap steel in the box plus 100lbs on each tire. I have no issues with the rear/hydro.

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Klapatta wrote:The stock 14-24 tooth count yields a driven .583 to 1 ratio.
The 15 tooth (one up) conversion yields a driven .625 to 1 ratio.
I have both 14 and 15 tooth count sprockets :beer:
0103191811-00.jpg
0103191811-00.jpg (199.99 KiB) Viewed 14455 times
Attachments
14 tooth on the left, 15 tooth on the right
14 tooth on the left, 15 tooth on the right
0116191849-00.jpg (362.43 KiB) Viewed 14444 times
Last edited by Jeff in Pa on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

McMaster Carr has them too- but if I remember correctly they have to be faced down a bit on the one side.
2500t463l.gif
2500t463l.gif (44.68 KiB) Viewed 14453 times
The way the Weather Channel is talking it will be getting used this Friday and Saturday :? Their calling for one to two feet.
Anyway, getting back to this speed ratio discussion there is actually a bit of overdrive going into the gear box. my rough calculations put it at about .93 to 1 overdrive ratio so the gear box is turning something like 150 RPM faster than the clutch pulley @3600 RPM. With the belt tight I got 4.0" across the top of the belt at the gear box pulley and 4 1/8" across the top of the belt at the PTO pulley. While the PTO pulley actually measures 4 3/8" the belt groove is cut wider on purpose so that the belt tracks down in the groove a bit. All said though this is fuzzy math because I lost interest in obtaining the actual pitch size. Really it all comes down to what the engine speed limit stop is set for anyway.
If a constant value of 3600 RPM is assigned to the input side of the gear box, with the two into one reduction the output drive shaft is turning at 1800 RPM.
1800 RPM x the .583 ratio of the 14 tooth sprocket will yield 1049.4 RPM auger speed.
1800RPM x the .625 ratio of the 15 tooth sprocket will yield 1125 RPM auger speed.
The auger will be turning 75.6 RPM faster with the 15 tooth sprocket at 3600 input RPM.
Now it seems to me that auger going at 1100 RPM is more than enough to get the job done.
This is why I have always been discouraged by folks hanging a 3" or 3 1/2" pulley on the gear box input.
It's just asking for trouble or worse.

Lance
First and Last Name: Lance Trgina

Post by Lance »

Joey, I know you're across the state from me but I have a QA42 that I don't use. It does work. I had it on my 108. Not the best, but not the worst I've seen. If you're still looking for one let me know. I use front blade or rear blade to move snow so it's taking up room.
Lance

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

Thank you but I am going try a blade again all the snow we have had this winter has been small snows. Thank you for the reply, Joey.