IH Registry Days and Members

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

IH Registry Days and Members

Post by chzuck »

Anyone know how many of the old IH Registry people are still around collecting or playing with their Cubs? What about The Mayor, Scott C, Jim from up North (Cannot recall his last name)? Is our hobby dying a slow death? Did not see anything on here about PA Plow Day this year. Seems since George Randall passed away there is no one on GT Talk to post when popular events are. Many forums I frequent were dead over the winter, I mean more dead than normal. I am getting old as everyone else, but I hope I don't lose interest. So glad I have my old photos of the IH Registry Plow Days and several of the CD's that guys made available. They were good times!
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: IH Registry Days and Members

Post by Jlaws »

I was a member of the old registry and visited the mayor a couple of times back in the day . Met him and Scott C at possum lodge . Even bought from and sold Tony a few cubs back in the day . Don't know what they're up to now . I used to post daily , but rarely post anymore and I sometimes don't check posts for weeks . Since I've retired I've been thinking of selling some of the herd , can't take them with me when I go . :D I still use mine on a regular basis but haven't bought any in a while . Still have somewhere around 30 cubs .
I used to go to a couple of PD's a year but I haven't been to one in years . I'm thinking that the membership is getting older and were not getting enough new blood (younger members) involved . Charles , just my 2 cents .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

TWheaton
First and Last Name: Tim Wheaton

Post by TWheaton »

Hey Jess,
I still check the site , mostly daily, but seldom post. Talk to Mayor now and then, haven't talked to Skott for awhile.
Still have a couple of CCs, but not "into" it much any more.But always good to see a post from the oldtimers.
Possum Lodge brings back a lot of good memories.
Tim

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

I too check in daily but seldom post. Not much new to see.
I still piddle with my 149 & the 982 I picked a few years back.
Other than that, it's just getting too hard to get around any more.
Jim from up North (Cannot recall his last name)
If you're referring to Jim Steele, he posted some stuff in the For Sale
section a year or so back. Other than that... ??? :dontknow:
Official Member SCCG

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I was on the Registry. Still lurk but not as much as I once did. I think we enjoyed the golden days of garden tractors. When I first got into Cubs it was out of necessity. Then I started to gather more Cubs as they seemed to find me(if CubRick didn't find them first :lol: ) but at some point I started to thin stuff out as most of them just sat. When I first got into the hobby there were plow days spring and fall near and far, now there is one locally and we always go to Ohio plow day in the fall.
These days I use the Cubs I still have seldom and have other interests taking my time(and money :shock: )
I stop in here a few times a week but don't post much any more.
I know AW and CubRick still have their herds but both are busy with life and other things. It's kind of sad that things have slowed the way they have but the silver lining is that through the Registry and this site I have meet and made friends(yes, Dave I really do have at least one friend :lol: ) with some of the nicest people ever!
Maybe Jim Chabot(sp?) is the up north guy?

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I barely had a driver's license when I got on the registry. Got into the hobby pretty serious, had many Cubs over the years, restored or repainted over 20 I believe, and still check in daily but really slowed down on them. I have 7 still that are all repainted and about as repaired as they can be and a lot of rare implements and quite a parts stash in the barn still. I need to get rid of a lot of it but it isn't worth as much now and my restored Cubs are sentimental and aren't leaving for pennies on the dollar so they sit. All will fire up right now and get used but the 982 and all its implements would be more than enough for my 5 acres alone.
Between a house, property, full time job, a few Farmalls I have now, and a Travelall project, I don't work on the Cubs as much anymore or collect. I've bought a few attachments and such and I'd still love to find a Cat 0 tiller for the 982 but besides that i'll check in and help out still but plow days and buying more stuff would be a rare occasion. Doesn't seem to be many people local to chat about them anymore like I used to do.

Seems like the hobby used to have a steady dose of new people, the veterans that helped more than collected but had a couple and knew the history, the pullers, motor guys, collectors of rare stuff, people that just used them, people that parted and sold stuff, the steady stream of craigslisters... not as much anymore it seems so hard to talk about a hobby so few people are active at in my opinion.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

There are many who have migrated over to Facebook. The state of the hobby is in transition and as with all things change will be certain. I handed my very first Cub (a 100) over to my Son last Fall. He will be showing it this Summer. While I check in daily rarely is there a need to input a question thanks to all the information that has been passed down over the years here. My Cubs are workers and there's little else to do on them besides turn the key. Why fill the Forum with fluff? I mean really don't I get more than enough of that at work? :lol:

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

BigMike wrote: Maybe Jim Chabot(sp?) is the up north guy?
Jim Chabot, that is the Jim I was thinking of. Paul Bell, I cannot forget Geezer, The Tool Man, never did know his real name and there are others who escape my memory who were the "movers and shakers" of the IH Registry. Tom Scott?
I have a lot of photos from the early plow day events. Would there be interest in me posting some?

indy61
First and Last Name: Bill

Post by indy61 »

That was my first forum I joined when I got a computer. It was a lot of fun and great information.
I don't know the drama that caused it's demise but I sure miss it.

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

I remember Jim Chabot from the IHCC forum site, not so much this one.
But then again, I'm old and forgetful.
Has anyone heard any thing from Mark Bowersox (the founder of this and the original IH Registry site)?
Official Member SCCG

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

cholloway wrote:Has anyone heard any thing from Mark Bowersox (the founder of this and the original IH Registry site)?
Mark did not start this site, in fact he was the reason the Registry went away. Much of the information appears to be secret. There is a site called The WayBack Machine where you can go and search for old websites that have been taken down. I searched there and found some things. I need to search some more. It is a real shame as there was a lot of info on the site. Lots of how to dos. There was one really handy guy who built his own cab with heater and was doing a how to on repairing Kohler gas tanks and we never got to see the whole thing. So glad for the photos I have saved from there.

I had heard the Feds had actually shut the site down. I think all that secrecy has hurt this site. While the other two Cub sites seem to be thriving, there are days there are no new posts on here. For whatever reason many of those main contributors to the Registry have gone silent. And maybe all has been said that there is about the Cub hobby.

I learned a lot from Paul Bell. He seemed to have the inside info on IH. I much enjoyed the history he shared.

PS: Did some looking on the WayBack site and all that appears is the registry of Cub Cadets. All the forum posts are not there.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I'm guilty of fading away a bit. I only got on the Registry for about the last two years I think before it shut down. Like Ken said, mine are all workers and there isn't much mystery left. I do sign up about four or five new people each week.

I've always preferred our forum without the drama of the more active ones. I too don't need too much fluff either!

It is nice to see some guys coming back for this thread!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

To be clear, I prefer this forum over the other two. Seems both of them have at least one smart mouth that is quick to put one down. Or one that is the type that my way is the only way.
Thought of another old timer - Tom Peters.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Charlie, if you mean a shop made cab heater then that sounds like the one Eric Lewis aka CubRick built for his 1200.
Maybe AW would mention this thread and Eric would pop in. I know the internet where they live is pretty bad and I think that may have been part of why he’s not on here anymore.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

BigMike wrote:Charlie, if you mean a shop made cab heater then that sounds like the one Eric Lewis aka CubRick built for his 1200.
Maybe AW would mention this thread and Eric would pop in. I know the internet where they live is pretty bad and I think that may have been part of why he’s not on here anymore.
That's the fellow, Eric Lewis. I recall when he moved he said something about poor internet. He must be out in the boonies. He did several projects and put them step by step on the forum. Very nice that others remember the ones that I do not. Remember the Canadian Pulling Team at one of the early Plow days? Remember the gentleman who live broadcast plow day over the web? Good times!

albie
First and Last Name: Albie Breidenbaugh

Post by albie »

I was on the old Registry site too but only check in here from time to time and definitely don't post very often. This past weekend at PA Plowday was hanging out with some other old registry guys, Bud Horn, Mike Marzullo, Engine Mike, Dave Chester and Steve Townsend. The IH Registry is always discussed and how the serial number registry part is gone. Fortunately this page is equal to it with that exception. Always preferred this group because you never got the "RTFB" response you got good advice.
105 147 1650 382 782D

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

albie wrote:I was on the old Registry site too but only check in here from time to time and definitely don't post very often. This past weekend at PA Plowday was hanging out with some other old registry guys, Bud Horn, Mike Marzullo, Engine Mike, Dave Chester and Steve Townsend. The IH Registry is always discussed and how the serial number registry part is gone. Fortunately this page is equal to it with that exception. Always preferred this group because you never got the "RTFB" response you got good advice.
Well you can access the registry part of the IH Registry https://web.archive.org/web/20030928024 ... istry.com/
https://archive.org/web/ is a great place to look at old websites that have been taken down. I have checked there several times for IH Registry stuff and seem to find more each time I check. Take a look. The Way Back site takes "snap shots" of websites. The link I posted is near the end. I went back a few and actually came across forum postings in "Shooting the Breeze" forum.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Charlie, thank you very much for posting that link. I had totally forgotten about what that was about. Looking back that was a half a lifetime ago to my children. And yes, I too was a member for a couple of years. It's been said here that was the golden age of Cub Cadet craze and yes that is true to a large degree. Some of those listed on the header page are not with us anymore. I was lucky enough to have met Geezer one time and his words have always stayed with me that this is supposed to be a hobby. And I have a few other personal stories about him but save that for another day.

I like to think of this site as the introvert's anti hyper egocentric Cub forum. At least for me it is :oops: I know enough by now when to be proactive.
And I know when to chill.
DSCN8370.JPG
DSCN8370.JPG (801.11 KiB) Viewed 14543 times
I do continue to check in on the various discussion groups out there from time to time.
The Farmall Cub site is down to a couple of posts a month. Things over at OCC seem to be going well with good participation. That was a kind of wild wild West sort of affair for some time however someone has come along and straightend things out a while back and the whole thing seems to be running much better now. Kudoos to them. The other Forum we used to call across the street also has days of inactivity so this is hardly a isolated event. Then we have this brave new world called Facebook, the bold new place where anybody can be anything, a place where the hate and discontent flourish regardless of whatever your viewing. More importantly however is all the misinformation that is being passed down there. Ahh yes Facebook, the demise of 10,000 years of organized civilization. :lol:
I have become a bit tired of showing at events more recently, more or less I have had enough of people telling me all about MY machines or pointing out what is incorrect on them. I happen to know that without them. And I tired of people's sneaky implying that their brand x machine is a better machine than mine too. Hell, that machine ain't even there to begin with so shut up. And Heaven forbid should I show up with something that nobody's ever seen before, then they will part off into two catagories, the dumb struck and amazed, or the vindictive and jealous because they have seen something that they can NEVER have and they know it. But I'll continue to attend the more local shows.
Enough of my rant now everyone leave me alone :lol:

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Ken, thank you for your comments and well said! I still have my Rototiller collection even though there is not a whole lot of interest in walk behind equipment. I frequent the facebook pages that feature walk behind equipment and they are very enjoyable and informative.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Here are some photos from the great IH Registry Plow Days.
Attachments
Cubette
Cubette
100_0116 (Medium).JPG (390.62 KiB) Viewed 14532 times
Back view of Dave Chester
Back view of Dave Chester
100_1489 (Medium).jpg (338.16 KiB) Viewed 14532 times
Geezer and The Mayor shelling corn
Geezer and The Mayor shelling corn
100_1498 (Medium).jpg (534.61 KiB) Viewed 14532 times
Paul Bell
Paul Bell
100_1508 (Medium).jpg (431.5 KiB) Viewed 14532 times
Skott and Mark
Skott and Mark
100_1511 (Medium).jpg (513.39 KiB) Viewed 14532 times

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Tim D. was responsible for the reconstruction of the Cubbete. Thanks for the pics.
Those tillers were built like a brick house. Going off topic but oh well. They were made by Kaiser after WWII if I'm not mistaken.
When I was 12 my next door neighbor who happened to manage the local Chevrolet dealership fished one out of a barn someplace and asked me to get it running for him. I cleaned it and oiled it all up. In those days replacement parts were still easy to come by. I think it was Troy Bilt that bought them out? Anyway I put in a new carb kit and replaced some broken tiller tines. I think that the tines and stake pins were under two bucks each. Also, there was something wrong with the rope start don't remember exactly just what. The cover had to come off and that thing weighed twenty pounds. And off it went. He tilled his quarter acre garden with that thing. But with only one lung to his name it was too much for him and he only used it for two years. I don't know what happened to it after that.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I happened to come across a postcard picture of my neighbors gas station just prior to it evolving into the Chevrolet dealership and thought I'd post it here just for kicks and giggles.
DSCN8374.JPG
DSCN8374.JPG (635.28 KiB) Viewed 14511 times
This was most likely taken around 1946 just prior to the dualization of N.J.highway 28 into N.J.highway 22. This was sent to me by an old high school buddy just last year that I still keep in touch with. By the late 1960's those cabins had attained a less than sterling reputation (to put it mildly) and by 72 the internal walls were sledge hammered out to turn it into a new car prep area with bay doors fitted at both ends. After school, the two of us were the ones behind the hammers. We washed and detailed out everything from Vega's to Kingwood Estate wagons behind those walls. I did not work for my neighbor though, it was right about that time the dealership was sold and became Mark Chevrolet. Due to his failing health that ceased operations in the mid 90's.
DSCN8232.JPG
DSCN8232.JPG (750.5 KiB) Viewed 14511 times
DSCN8234.JPG
DSCN8234.JPG (712.81 KiB) Viewed 14511 times
DSCN8239.JPG
DSCN8239.JPG (547.3 KiB) Viewed 14511 times
It's a car parts /service center store now. When I started there I worked under the table at $1.15 an hour. Of course in those days you could get a good slice of Jersey pizza for a quarter. ;)
After retiring my neighbor diddled around with his garden for a couple of years before moving away and spent the rest of his years the Finger Lakes region of N.Y. Both his name and my Father's are on the Fireman's Memorial plaque a short distance away.
DSCN7720.JPG
DSCN7720.JPG (330.81 KiB) Viewed 14511 times
Now how the heck did I get here from there? Oh yeah right. The topic was forum inactivity :lol:

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Great topic!

I’ve been just busy with other things! Like others have said so much info is out there I’m not searching for more. I run 10 or so workers 10’or so keepers these are both clean restorations and clean original cubs. The other 10 come and go I like to tinker with them. The ones that are to far gone are parts rigs and keep me from going to the atm. With a move about 4 years ago, we have a lot more yard. I’m active at Zagray too, as I type in my camper making breakfast getting ready for the spring show... ken you coming?

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Hey there Joe. Not sure yet. If I do it will be without trailering anything down. My truck has begun to enter the patchwork pop rivet phase of it's life. With two car accidents in the span of less than a month in back of me I'm still a bit jumpy about taking extended trips but after 2000 miles that's beginning to wear off on me. The first was a sideways downhill slide on ice in my own driveway right into my own mail box. The mail box won. With the second I was doing 45 in a 40 just to keep up with traffic and some guy not paying attention comes along clobbering me in the rear end going about 60. The insurance company has been strangely silent about that one so far, I don't know if I should poke the bear or not :?

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

It was easy to identify the machine I had mentioned in previous posts after a bit of looking around. Frazer B1-6 is what it was.
rototiller-107w-1.jpg
rototiller-107w-1.jpg (86.04 KiB) Viewed 14493 times
Charlie's web site has everything you would ever want to know all about it 8-)

RandyLittrell
First and Last Name: Randy Littrell

Post by RandyLittrell »

I never posted a lot in the old days, but learned so much by searching and reading. The people on there were awesome. I have posted a little here and the other places, but none of it is as good as the old registry.

Still have all my cubs and a few more. Hoping I can do more now that I am sorta retired.

Here is a pic of one my Dad and I redone. He is gone now, so I will hang on to it till one of kids or grandkids will get it.

Randy

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Time and technology changes some things, and having an 'old guard' fade without new fuel for the fire, the glow tends to ember. I still have many of mine... I had a pair of 782s that needed worthy hands, and they were sold to two guys who seemed true to the torch, and in clearing out a storage shed to be razed to make space for the new workshop, all my spare parts went into the custody of others, to be shared amidst those who could give them new employment. Wether that's all true, I only hope.

But there's some things that don't change... first, is that these are tough old machines, and as long as there's people who recognize that, they'll continue to be interested. I'm certain that ALL the forums' activities have slowed a little, with the expansion of (anti-) 'social media', it's bound to look thin.

That doesn't mean it has faded away.

I'm sure most of you have noticed the little project I have going on, and it may seem to some (particularly purists) an obscene dishonor, my machine works daily... and does things far beyond what (in his own words) Harold Schram ever intended. There's darned little that hasn't been either adulterated, reinforced, or outright replaced, but the raison d'etre still stands... it's a workhorse. Loader-Mutt does EVERYTHING here... gravel, sand, snow, rocks, yard debris, logs, firewood, scrap metal... it goes places nothing else can get to. It lifts more, pushes harder, pulls harder, turns tighter, moves forward and reverse quicker, easier, and smoother than the little 4wd Kubota... and (because it's gas) starts much better on snowy cold winter nights. It's still a Cub Cadet to me.

And my 127, 128, and fire-breathing 109 are still down in the barn, holding air in the tires, and with a new battery, clean carb, and a light cleaning of the contact points, will all fire up and drive out. My first was the 109, it was given to me by my neighbor with broken connecting rod in replacement engine, with the original worn-out engine in a box... I rebuilt (ahem) that original motor, and it's in there now, with the replacement ALSO rebuilt, and waiting for a time-of-need. I don't mow with tractors... I have a 60" commercial ZTR. When I need to lift or pull big things, I use one of my forklifts, or pull it with one of my much larger Allis tractors... but Mutt rules the roost...

And when I do funky Cub Cadet stuff, I post it here.
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Your posts are greatly appreciated.

A.W.Gonya
First and Last Name: Aaron W. Gonya

Post by A.W.Gonya »

It's good to see some names from the golden era of our hobby, and to remember a few we have lost.

I'm guilty of drifting away, we still have Ohio Plow Day every fall but most of my limited hobby time is now consumed by the Farmall collection at the farm. I think, overall the hobby is in a period of downturn. Many of us have drifted off to other pursuits and interests. Our golden era is about a decade back now.

Going from being self employed to being a real job tends to cut down on the free time also.

Most of my Cubs just sit, can't even sell them because the prices on everything have fallen so much, no way to even get 50% of the investment back so they just gather dust.
Can you buy WD40 by the tank car?

Cubrick
First and Last Name: Eric Lewis

Post by Cubrick »

Hey all, greetings! CubRick here! I'm still into cubs as much as i always was, and use them all the time. i tried several times to get in here and it never worked so i gave up. I talk to AW earlier and he told me about this thread. figured i try one more time to get in, IT WORKED! i'll be checking in every now and then when i get the chance. I agree with everyone about our hobby going south. there are a few cubbers within 20 miles of me that i associate with and have even traded or bought cubs recently. all my projects got put on hold when i moved here, and just now after ten years getting back to them. number one getting my PF Engineering loader converted to quick attach for the 2072. I am going to make it so i can drive up to it, hook up the lines and towers, and drive off. i have the belly grader blade i built years ago mounted on it now as i have dirt/ gravel driveway. i still have 32 cubs, but of course they don't all run at the time, a few are parts machines. i am sorting parts and building shelves for them today(and everyday) so i can make room for projects. i still want to build my cub dozer, project number 2!

CubRick