Grandpa's '42 Farmall B..

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
oldgreygoose
First and Last Name: Danni Smith

Grandpa's '42 Farmall B..

Post by oldgreygoose »

My brother just got our Grandpa's 1942 Farmall B. She is a little rough looking, but she runs. I am funding the restoration.A lot of great memories of us riding with Grandpa on that B many years ago.
Resized_20190602_153847.jpeg
Resized_20190602_153847.jpeg (635.24 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.
Cub Cadet 1966 102 Garden Tractor, and a Green forbidden to mention with lots of attachments.

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Re: Grandpa's '42 Farmall B..

Post by DaveKamp »

If it runs and has decent tires, there's 80% of your cost. A passed-on friend advised me once, to choose my tractor projects based on 'good engine' or 'good tires', as they're the two most expensive aspects of a resto. If you get BOTH, then you're a lucky guy!
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Re: Grandpa's '42 Farmall B..

Post by BearKiller »

DaveKamp wrote:If it runs and has decent tires, there's 80% of your cost. A passed-on friend advised me once, to choose my tractor projects based on 'good engine' or 'good tires', as they're the two most expensive aspects of a resto. If you get BOTH, then you're a lucky guy!
That is good advice and I will add: There are many older tractors out there that have a tire size that has been obsolete and unobtainable for many years; in such a case, already having good tires is vital to an as-delivered restoration.
If the tractor has a standard rim diameter, then you may have to settle for tires that are much larger than what is called for; and, in many cases, the rim diameter will be some non-standard size, in which case, rims of a standard size will need be fitted.
Also, regardless of how deep the rubber, look at the rims, especially in the area around the valve stem. Many oldtimers fluid-filled the tires with highly corrosive calcium-chloride (the same stuff vehicle manufacturers pay the highway department to spread around as road salt); if the area around the valve stem has visible rust, then it is a guarantee that the rims are heavily corroded.