Aluminum Oil Pan Questions ?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Aluminum Oil Pan Questions ?

Post by BearKiller »

As per the picture:
Oil Drain Plug_Torque Values.png
Oil Drain Plug_Torque Values.png (23.47 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
I am assuming the size column is the bolt diameter; am I correct ?

Also, for the oil-pan torque values, it lists Sheet-metal at 200 inch-lbs, Cast Iron at 35 Foot-lbs, but the Aluminum section is blank.
What is the torque value for an aluminum oil-pan ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: Aluminum Oil Pan Questions ?

Post by SWilliams »

Hmm, never use a torque wrench on a drain plug yet. Just snug it down so it doesn't leak.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Re: Aluminum Oil Pan Questions ?

Post by BearKiller »

I have the thick aluminum oil-pan.
It says 35 ft-lbs for cast-iron pan on cast-iron block; this is aluminum pan screwing into cast-iron block.
With new lock-washers on the Grade-5 3/8x16 bolts, I made a best-guess and torqued them to 372 in-lbs; a bit under the 420 in-lbs (35 ft-lbs)
When I removed the pan bolts, I used a 1/4" ratchet, about 5-1/2" long, and easily backed them out with one hand.
Replacing them with a somewhat longer 3/8" torque wrench, the last few increments up to 372 in-lbs were lifting the engine off the bench and I had to brace the wrench against a block so I could use one hand on the wrench and hold the engine down with the other.
I know they are quite a bit tighter than they had been; so, hopefully, they will be good for a long time.