PTO Mounting Questions ???

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

PTO Mounting Questions ???

Post by BearKiller »

My engine is laying on the work bench.

I noticed that I can really wiggle the PTO pulley a good bit; I can also move it for and aft about 1/16-inch.

Maybe this is as it should be, but I figured maybe the three little hidden bolts may have gotten loose.

I cleaned about a half-pound of dirt-dauber mud from the holes and have repeatedly looked down in there with a light and have tried every Allen wrench in the box, and have not been able to get a fit yet.

I had this all apart a few years ago when I replaced the PTO with a like-new one from E-Bay; it came with the SIX little screws in a zip-lock bag; meaning that, I still have the original SIX lost around here somewhere with the old PTO that I removed.....alas, I have not been able to find where I put it so I can see what kind/size tool I need.

I am fairly certain these are Allen set-type screws Just Confirmed = YES they are.

My question is, are they in fact Allen and what size fits ? I found info stating they are 1/8" Allen --- these recent ones in mine ARE NOT = they are 2.5mm Communist - not 1/8" American --- hence my confusion.

I reckon I am thinking correctly --- there are retaining screws in those three equally spaced holes that are on the pulley casting, right ? Just confirmed = YES there are.

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Updated my question; mu updates are in red.

BearKiller

Re: PTO Mounting Questions ???

Post by BearKiller »

Since my initial post, I have found new information and updated that post.

My first question remains === Should I be able to wiggle and flop around the pulley ?

Also, watching this video brought on another question; when he is installing the clutch back onto the engine, what is he accomplishing by constantly bumping the clutch-button while he is tightening the screws ?
I have a devil of a time understanding what most of these people are saying on videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qopLHNaTIKs

Thanks again.

BearKiller

Re: PTO Mounting Questions ???

Post by BearKiller »

Well...., the mystery is solved and my PTO clutch mechanism is now tight as a gun barrel.
Unlike unmolested genuine Cub Cadet clutch pulleys, which require an American 1/8" Allen, the Allen wrench size required for my set-screws is 2.5mm Communist.
Both set-screws in one of the three holes required me to use my trusty Harbor Freight wooden mallet to coerce my trusty Pittsburgh Tools T-20 Star Bit Screwdriver to bite into the sloppy Allen hole and back the screws out; if yours still has the American 1/8" Allen screws, then you may need use a T-15 bit to remove any rounded out screws.
As the handle on my T-20 was plastic and I didn't want to damage it, I didn't drive it down in there like John Henry; just a bit of light tapping with the wooden mallet was enough to gain purchase.
Once I got all the set-screws out, the assembly fell off in my hands.
I investigated everything and could see no apparent reason for the pulley to be so loose and flopping around.
The bearing was right where it was supposed to be and in excellent shape for something nearly fifty years old.
I cleaned up the inside surface of the pulley that fits over the bearing with a bit of 120-grit sanding strip/cloth, just in case something there was not allowing a proper fit.
I put the pulley back on and peaked through all three holes with my trusty FREE Harbor Freight LED pocket light; I could easily see the inside edge of the bearing occupying the outer 1/3 of the screw holes = no problem there.
Although the screws were still slathered with anti-sieze from back when I first installed them, I gave them another dose and reinserted them, making certain to put the two problem screws back in the same hole --- I had marked it with Metallic Pearl Red nail polish and also permanently identified it with a punch mark.
Once everything was all back together, I found that my efforts had been in vain and the pulley was just as sloppy as before.
Turning the pulley and looking in the screw-holes, I found the screw in the marked hole appeared to be not nearly so deep as the other two; poking the Allen wrench in there and comparing proved that there was about 1/4-inch difference.
The screw in that hole was as tight as I dared turn it.
Without removing the pulley, leaving the other two screws alone, I removed the shallow screws and used my trusty Popular Mechanics tap-&-die set, 1/4 x 20, and chased the threads; when the tap had gone as far as it could, the pulley was nice and snug.
I replaced the two screws in that hole and was able to easily take them down as deep as the other two holes.
This cured the problem; no more flop and no more wiggle.

One observation I will make: every video and article I have watched and read on the subject makes a big deal out of it being imperative to insure that the screw holes are lined up with the notches in the basket before attempting removal or installation; with normal tools that most people are going to be using, that is complete hogwash, at least for a Type-A assembly; with the screw-holes not aligned with the notches, there is plenty of room for the tool to go straight down in there and access the screws.

I hope my experience is of some benefit to someone else; thanks for reading.