1961 Original wheel weights

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

1961 Original wheel weights

Post by cholloway »

This is in regard to the header I saw at the top of the page when I logged on this morning
regarding wheel weight cost in 1961.

To keep it in perspective I looked up how much money $11 felt like.
I googled minimun wage for 1961 and came up with this...
"A 1955 amendment increased the minimum wage to $1.00 an hour with no changes in coverage.
The 1961 amendments greatly expanded the FLSA's scope in the retail trade sector and increased the minimum
for previously covered workers to $1.15 an hour effective September 1961 and to $1.25 an hour in September 1963."

$11 was a chunk of change for most folks.
Official Member SCCG

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Re: 1961 Original wheel weights

Post by Jeff in Pa »

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/i ... &year=1961

Calculate the value of $11 in 1961
What was $11 in 1961 worth in today's money?
Amount $11.00
From 1961
To 2019

$92.74
Adjusted for inflation, $11.00 in 1961 is equal to $92.74 in 2019.
Annual inflation over this period was 3.74%.
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Going back fifteen years as I recall the asking price for a good used pair of weights was $100. Fast forward to the present and they can still be had for $100.
Using the inflation constant it would seem they have lost 56.1% of their value over that time span. Reproductions are now out there and the average price for them is around 125. However, these while identical lack the IH cast in logo. One could mount them on the inside or as the base layer of a stack if their worried about getting razzed at a show about it.
Not meaning to raise hate and discontent here but to me the JD taper interlock weight system made much more sense to me, with more than two of the IH weights in stack they just seem not to stay in alignment all that well.
I still have one spare pair of IH branded weights on hand, the funny thing here is it's typical for me that I can account for everything spare item I have on hand- I have no idea where these things came from :?: :lol:

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Wow..all those old numbers from the past are crazy...and fun to look at. It's hard to even comprehend. But what's been hard for me to comprehend is paying a hundred for what is nothing more than pig iron. Oh yes they look cool and I'm sure they work great...but I could never bring myself to step up on a set. Even the plastic ones from MTD..I was eyeing a nice set Ray had but again paying $100 for a couple sacks of concrete....lol...I just couldn't do it! I know Tom retrofitted some barbell weights....idk I would never want someone asking if my tractor is a "York" or "Olympic"...lol. I guess when you need weight to get the job done one can't be cheap about it. But for now I will wait till they come back down to $11 dollars :lol:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Pig iron. I fail to understand the reason why people feel compelled to hoard those things.
tribbles.jpg
tribbles.jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 3304 times