Noggin scratcher

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Noggin scratcher

Post by BigMike »

All the years I have been messing with Cubs and this is a new one for me. The 10hp in my 125 I rebuilt probably 15 years ago.
About a month ago while doing preservice inspection I noticed the oil dip stick tube had oil around the base. I wiggled the tube knowing there is no possible way it can be loose....not so fast there fat boy! (I’ll say it before Dag does :lol: )
Why would that tube come loose after all this time?

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Noggin scratcher

Post by ksanders »

I've seen a few come out and have some here I think. Aren't they slightly tapered and just pressed in if I remember right? I do remember tapping a few out from the bottom side in the past. Years of heating and cooling with a cast block and steel tube that expand and contract at different rates while vibrating seems like an intelligent sounding hypothesis... or at least sounded intelligent :lol:

Probably wait until it's warm and tap it back in tight or rough up the edges with a file so it grabs better. That would be my first attempt.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I'm going to go with Kevin's "Years of... vibration". I think the tube having the weight of the dipstick end hanging out there, with the vibration, would tend to reduce the diameter (and slightly lengthen). Much like rolling Play-Doh on a table with your hand. It would be very interesting to measure your old dipstick end with a caliper vs. a new tight one. I don't see the cast block changing dimension with heating cycles, but it could slightly wear away as the dipstick starts to move.

I would likely clean everything real good and re-install with some of the Loctite green bearing sleeve retainer. I doubt it will go anywhere after that, and it will be sealed against leakage.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Mike...why would you listen to Kevin or Tom when you have me. I was in church this morning and your question really got the best of me...so I tried to explain your difficult life situation the best I could on the back of the church bulletin. Here's the way I see it.....
Sorry I'm not an artist but this should help
Sorry I'm not an artist but this should help
Turbo_Encabulator_2-600x463.jpg (80.51 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Dag I never looked at it like that. I guess I will the next time I get hit in the head with a brick :D

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

I never fully understood how a Turbo Encabulator works until now... Thanks Dave!
Official Member SCCG

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

:lol: glad to help guys! I love the video of the turbo encabulator guy. :lol:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Ky Greg
First and Last Name: Greg Laramore

Post by Ky Greg »

Hit it with a bigger hammer. :beer:
Adapt, Improvise and Overcome!