Forum Ownership up for grabs

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Forum Ownership up for grabs

Post by Scott C. »

Long time folks.
I am going to transfer ownership of the forum to any interested party.
Contact me at oldihtractors@gmail.com

It doesn't cost much to own the site. There is a PHP support invoice of $17.42 due the 15th. this would be a good time to transfer to a new owner.
The only thing I ask is that it remain a free site and the proposed buyer will have to post to that effect.
Scott Cross
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Forum Ownership up for grabs

Post by dag1450 »

Scott just to clarify for people, what is the annual cost and required work to keep the site running? Thanks so much for all you have done on the site!!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

To be honest, I've just always let it bill me and not worried about it.
Domain name is about $100 a year and the PHP4 support is something new but I'd say about $200.

I haven't been doing any of the work for a couple years. Dave C. was the man there.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Ill take it over. Maybe move to our server to dave some ching.
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Dave - I was hoping you would go for it, thanks for stepping up! I was wrestling with going for it, but the managing the web part of it would be steep learning curve for me. Just time I really don't have right now.

Scott, thanks for keeping it going for us all these years. I haven't been as active lately, but I appreciate the little quirky thing we have here, small sandbox but good guys I like to check in and see. I'm glad we can be sure it will continue.
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

Were looking into purchasing a new Server here to migrate it to. It would only be a one time cost to me and then i could host it from my work here in CT. we have enough bandwidth i think and looks like we will be upgrading that soon also.
dave

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Thank you Dave for stepping up and taking over the helm, for sure our folks appreciate your effort.
It's too bad that we can't get more participation going on here, the other two groups are showing signs of decline as well. Of course there is always FB where we can talk about ripping off and beating down senior citizens.
Overall, that is the state of what the hobby has evolved into.
I wish you all the best as you continue to serve the good guys that remain.

TWheaton
First and Last Name: Tim Wheaton

Post by TWheaton »

My thanks to Dave also. I think face book (which I refuse to use) has changed a lot of social media. Additionally I think there is a declining core of our generation that is interested in salvaging, fixing or even using these machines. There is a guy locally that advertises on CL, "wanted garden tractors dead or alive". If it doesn't have a mower or requires more than a new spark plug or points , or carb(forget cleaning it) or battery, he isn't interested. Repair?? Not interested. OH, he will take it for free for junk. I'm not saying it is wrong, or dishonest, just that times change. But this forum and a couple of others like it are plugging along and meeting a declining need.
Anyway,,hope all have a great Thanksgiving.

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

I agree, many walk behind sites are much quieter than they were say two years ago. Now I am also on several garden tractor Facebook pages and there is a lot of traffic on there. Especially Planet Jr and David Bradley. The youngsters of today found all they want in their smart phones. As us old guys die off, there are not as many younger ones interested to keep the hobby going at the rate it was.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Thank you Dave.
Most of us saw the “golden age” of garden tractors. Not to say it can’t happen again but....

tc429
First and Last Name: Tim C

Post by tc429 »

thanks to all who keep places like this going... it does seem to be becoming 'lost art' in todays disposable society :(

hopefully the new server will keep all the old content- one truly sad thing I noticed on a couple car forums- new owners(autoguide is buying everything) often dump everything more than a couple years old- THATS where most of the GOOD stuff is! one mustang sit i'm on is degraded to mostly tweenagers asking stupid questions about loudest pipes, loudest stereo, few truly technical things...and almost all the old content has been archived or dumped... a decade or so if they keep doing that, ALL pertinent data on servicing/maintenance issues will be gone- in today's day and age of inexpensive memory, how stupid is that :(

anyways, thanks again to the guys and gals keeping true enthusiast sites up, hopefully someday the facebooks out there will be replaced by a uncensored similar type of capability thing, with a 1 click way to migrate these older forums onto their massive servers- too much history is fading and no one seems to care or notice... enthusiast sites have always been a great research tool, and the communities of like minded enthusiasts take on a life of their own...

keep up the great work- Tim

oh, and our cub hasnt pushed a single snowflake this winter- and fine by me :) I probably should go out and fire it up tomorrow :)

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

Tim,

So most of the nuts and bolts are kept in a Database. Databases are limited in size. Thats the problem we just had is we ran out of room. So i think alot of sites either dump old info or Archive it to keep the database from overloading. My guess is most of them just dump it. Thinking back to the old registry i can remember the old stuff in archives. Our database when we started was only 100mb. since we started this forum they made them bigger now we can have 1gb. So we should be good for awhile without having to archive anything. I will most likely be doing some upgrades and a possbile change of server soon. im just doing some research before i do anything. One of my biggest problems may be our downloads. I wanna make sure they move properly. otherwise i have to download and reupload like 350 files.....dave