couple questions about a 100

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ole80grit
First and Last Name: Phil Beattie

couple questions about a 100

Post by ole80grit »

I bought two 100's today and they have some differences about them. one has a big battery box and other is small. was told the one with big box was an early one but it has the regular steering wheel while the one with small box has an early steering wheel like a 70 or an original. when looked up serial number the one with small box is a 65 which I assume means someone switched the steering wheel. the other one I couldn't find a serial number at all. the one with fenders is the small battery box. Question is what all would the early 100 have different? I'm going to look for serial number with better light but thinking it was ground off.
Attachments
20200308_111838.jpg
20200308_111838.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 7118 times
20200308_111823.jpg
20200308_111823.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 7118 times

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Re: couple questions about a 100

Post by Dave C »

2 places for a serial number on a 100

app.php/cub-cadet-faq#f0r1
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

ole80grit

Post by ole80grit »

I looked there and found the number on the one with fenders, found nothing on the other one, kinda looks rough and rusty on the square pad like it had a grinder to it.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Not sure there are any other major differences in early vs later 100's only thing i know is the battery box. and not sure when that changed.
Maybe pull the engine serial number that may help get slightly closer to a year.

Cant remember about the steering wheels. i thought they were all the same. trying to find my blue book to consult.

Paul Bell was the best one on 100's not sure if he is even still around.
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

ole80grit

Post by ole80grit »

Dave C wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:14 pm
Not sure there are any other major differences in early vs later 100's only thing i know is the battery box. and not sure when that changed.
Maybe pull the engine serial number that may help get slightly closer to a year.

Cant remember about the steering wheels. i thought they were all the same. trying to find my blue book to consult.

Paul Bell was the best one on 100's not sure if he is even still around.
Serial number on engine is 892495

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

It's been speculated in the past that machines with the large battery box were early 10 horse power models fitted with the early spark advance cam shaft as extra starter torque was required to turn them over. It also has been reported such machines were fitted with the two and one half inch starter pulley and that the later compression release type cam shafts then switched over to the larger three inch pulley as the extra starter torque multiplication was no longer required.
But I have never directly noted anything in the parts manual regarding the two battery box types. I have yet to hear of a proof positive answer regarding this, but a larger battery, smaller pulley, with no compression release combination would make sense.
When I bought my 100 in 1984 the engine had been bored +.030 and it still had the early spark advance cam shaft. When the outside temp dipped below 27 degrees outside there was absolutely no way it was sever going to start even with a car battery jumped on. What a let down that was.The reason for the spark advance cam shaft being discontinued is obvious.

Regarding the steering wheel acorn nut on your 100. The machine could have started life as a 70 with the larger engine installed later in life. Also it's possible I suppose very early 100's came that way but I think that unlikely.
More likely I think is at some point someone (probably an IH service center) replaced the entire steering sector assembly.

The ground away boss where the serial number could have been, that would likely indicate an at one time stolen machine. My first 100 had the engine ID tag removed by someone. It did not just fall off given the obvious pry marks on the flywheel cover. But they overlooked the SN on the reduction housing.
So they were not so smart as they thought they were after all :lol:

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Not all s/n’s where on the flat boss, they are likely full of paint/rust in the rough part of the casting just to the side of that boss. Follow Dave’s link for pictures.

ole80grit

Post by ole80grit »

Both have the 2 1/2" pulleys. the early one looks like s/g was changed since a different shade of yellow. I posted a pic of where it looks like the serial number is ground of.
Attachments
20200317_213522.jpg
20200317_213522.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 7083 times

ole80grit

Post by ole80grit »

In previous post is the Number on the top the serial number? didn't notice it till after posting pic.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Yes, it would appear so. I can't really make it out in the image. 86083? Try cleaning that area up with a wire brush to see what you can better come up with.
The characters on that series of machines were stamped by hand and they can be unevenly spaced and stamped.
After some guy had to do that a hundred and thirty thousand times or so IH went to a semi automated tagging system with rivets to reduce manual labor.

I do not think that the boss was ground away. It's just scruffy. That boss was likely used for datum location during the case machining process.
They all seem to have it.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

My TC-113 parts manual refers to only one style of battery box and is listed as NLA, no number provided.
DSCN8879.JPG
DSCN8879.JPG (648.61 KiB) Viewed 7080 times
The two steering wheels are called as for the 70 or 100 with the 100 requiring the top cosmetic cap.
DSCN8880.JPG
DSCN8880.JPG (661.11 KiB) Viewed 7080 times
That said the manual's print date is May, 1991. Much could have been deleted or updated over 25 years.

ole80grit

Post by ole80grit »

Klapatta wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:13 pm
Yes, it would appear so. I can't really make it out in the image. 86083? Try cleaning that area up with a wire brush to see what you can better come up with.
I came up with 86985

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Check the FAQ section for the exact date of manufacture of your machine.
At one time I had the exact serial number cutoff point when the cam shaft was changed from the spark advance cam over to the compression release cam but I am unable to locate that in my books right now. And I know that it's there somewhere. :? My 100 was s/n number 961XX and it had the spark advance cam. If memory serves this happened very shortly thereafter.
The starter generators for these machines are on their third or fourth rebuild by now so this is probably a moot point but why not just for the heck of it check the data plate on it.
The Delco Remy type 1101997 unit used the 2 1/2" pulley, Kohler part number KH-235583.
The Delco Remy type 1101996 unit used the 3" pulley, Kohler part number KH- 231278.

ole80grit

Post by ole80grit »

Klapatta wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:19 am
Check the FAQ section for the exact date of manufacture of your machine.
At one time I had the exact serial number cutoff point when the cam shaft was changed from the spark advance cam over to the compression release cam but I am unable to locate that in my books right now. And I know that it's there somewhere. :? My 100 was s/n number 961XX and it had the spark advance cam. If memory serves this happened very shortly thereafter.
The starter generators for these machines are on their third or fourth rebuild by now so this is probably a moot point but why not just for the heck of it check the data plate on it.
The Delco Remy type 1101997 unit used the 2 1/2" pulley, Kohler part number KH-235583.
The Delco Remy type 1101996 unit used the 3" pulley, Kohler part number KH- 231278.
I measured the pulley before and it's 2 1/2" didn't check part number. It is a different color yellow than the rest of tractor so assuming its been replaced. I took it down to my storage garage earlier today, can check numbers next time I'm there.