Hydraulic lift control lever broke

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Hydraulic lift control lever broke

Post by chzuck »

My son has a 1650 with a possible broken control lever. Anyone on here ever change one that can give us some direction on replacing it? The manual as I recall does not have much info. Looking at the manual it appears removing the gas tank would be the first step. He is not a mechanic and lives 2hrs away and I cannot travel because of the virus and still recovering from hip surgery and a torn tendon. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. He said the lever had a lot of extra play before it stopped working. I am thinking the hole in the plate on the lever shaft had flats at one time and now they are gone?
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: Hydraulic lift control lever broke

Post by JMotuzick »

Charlie
There are two types of control linkages. The early version has a week link, a roll pin. It’s 1/8” and breaks most of the time.
Definitely pull the fuel tank, then the hood support the linkage is all attached to the steering column the roll pin is behind the column though. I like the newer clamp type better it’s simply a bolt to tighten when it fails again. Get him an account and logged in here, we can set him straight while still social distancing.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

would you know at what s/n they changed? Would you have photos of each version?

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

No idea on the s/n brake.
This is the Clamp type...
Attachments
5E0FEE7A-3008-469D-93A9-A2EC03064375.jpeg
5E0FEE7A-3008-469D-93A9-A2EC03064375.jpeg (86.34 KiB) Viewed 3740 times

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Thanks for the photo.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Finally got to repair the lift control lever. My son's Cub had the lever with the Spirol pin. I purchased a good used arm not knowing what I would see. After having my son look at the arm I was reasonably sure it was the one with the pin because he saw a hole in the lever cross shaft. For some reason his cross shaft had two holes. Pulled the lever/shaft assembly out and made sure the arm fit without binding. The arm that I purchased had a larger hole than his original one. That was good because the hole in the cross shaft was enlarged some from wear. Ran a drill through the worn hole in the shaft to accommodate the arm I had purchased and put everything back together. A lot to do in a small space. A piece of wire to hold the arm in position was the trick to help line the hole up. Now he has a working lift once again. So great that the old Cubs are so repairable! Thanks to all who had input on helping with this repair.