Last Year/Model for Genuine I-H Cub Cadet ???

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Last Year/Model for Genuine I-H Cub Cadet ???

Post by BearKiller »

I have searched this and keep coming up with overlapping information.
It is my understanding that I-H sold the Cub Cadet line to MTD in 1981 and production was moved to Brownsville, Tennessee, with existing models then being phased out until the only thing Cub Cadet about them was the color.

I guess if one wants to be a purist, then 1980 would be the final year; but, there is a lot of grey area there.

Part 2 of the question = what was the final year/model I-H designed Cub Cadet for MTD ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Re: Last Year/Model for Genuine I-H Cub Cadet ???

Post by Dave C »

Yes So officially the line was transferred to CCC June 1st 1981.
The line of tractors more or less morphed in a slow transition. The "82" series which included a LOT of models. more then just ones ending in 82 like the 782. but also includes ones ending in 10, 11, 12 and a few others. like 1711. 1812 etc. Those morphed into the Cyclops models like 1861, 1535, 1440 etc
Still retaining the some similar parts. A change to the hoods to plastic was a downfall, along with the hydro-gear pump. although some models kept the sunstrand for awhile like the 1862. with addition of power steering was a bonus. But after the cyclops series.... There was a MAJOR redesign.... and i think everything was lost. Exact year.... maybe 1992? id have to check. I believe the 2000 and 3000 series tractors took the market. If i were to say the "end" of anything remotely built with IH in mind it would be at that point.

Hank Wills second cub cadet book i think outlined this quite well

https://greenmagazine.com/product/50-years-cub-cadet/
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

The 3000 series took over for the 1997 models. The cyclops series ended at that point.

Red cub cadet tagged IH ended in 1985 with the case IH merger but like Dave said it was a long road.

BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Post by BearKiller »

Thanks to you guys, that alleviates some of my confusion.

Mergers, take-overs, and buy-outs are seldom a good thing.

When you drive up I-65 in Louisville, you can't even with any certainty point to a spot and say "There is where the big I-H factory used to be."
When I was a kid, years and years ago, then as now, everyone in the community was on starvation and living from pillar to post. Every once in a while, someone with enough sense to have left out as soon as they could would retire and come back; they would be among the wealthiest people in the community, with boats and Harley Davidsons, and new cars and trucks, and cars for their kids, and a plank fence and blacktop driveway. When anyone asked how they came to be so well off, there were four answers; the wealthiest ones had retired from Fisher Body; the other three answers were International Harvester in Louisville, General Electric "Appliance Park" in Louisville, and Cummins in Columbus, Indiana.
These guys were by far wealthier than any of the local merchants and also wealthier than the town boss.
There were a few that had worked at Ford in Louisville, but they didn't seem to have the clout that those from the first mentioned four groups; maybe Ford didn't pay quite so well.

These guys are now as rare as Korean War veterans and sadly there is no light at the end of the tunnel left for people to aspire to.

Those around here not fortunate enough to land one of those coveted jobs would head to Indiana to pick tomatoes and would either find a job at Arvin Industries making mufflers or at Nobletts and Sparks; these were jobs with paychecks; but, the poor souls that labored at them never could accumulate enough to come home for Christmas; the majority of the tomato pickers usually ended up hitch-hiking back home, more broke when they returned than when they left.
One old boy had an old surplus soldier suit and cap that he always wore when hitch-hiking; he knew that people were much more likely to give a soldier a ride than someone dressed in rags.

And those guys that worked in the four aforementioned factories, they all mowed their lawns with big yellow Cub Cadets while the rest of us were pushing old worn out Wizards from Western Auto.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

The last of the IH designs were the cyclops machines. The 1/2/3000 machines are MTD designs. Easy way to think of it is to look at the attachments. You can use 99% of the 82 series items on the cyclops machines with very little work. That all stopped when the new MTD designs hit.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."