What Size Battery ???

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

What Size Battery ???

Post by BearKiller »

The more-than-ten-year-old battery in my Cub Cadet 129 is finally on it's last legs; I have to jump-start it; and, if it dies while mowing, I have to jump-start it again.
It has no life at all.

I searched for this and came up more bewildered than I already was.

What "size" battery fits my Cub Cadet 129 ?
Is there a larger size that will fit in the box ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

On EDIT: Batteries Plus says it takes a U1; is that correct ?

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Re: What Size Battery ???

Post by Dave C »

Yes garden tractor batteries are U1 size... and there is also an L or an R for left or right positive... for the most part it doesnt matter.
If all you do is mow with it i would get a mid sized cranking amp rating... if you use it in the winter i would find the highest CCA rating u can find!
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

althomas
First and Last Name: Al Thomas

Post by althomas »

If you got one that lasted 10 plus years, that's the one I'd buy again !!! :beer:

BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Post by BearKiller »

Dave C wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:47 pm
Yes garden tractor batteries are U1 size... and there is also an L or an R for left or right positive...
Thanks; U1 L must be correct for the 129 and factory cables.
althomas wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:44 pm
If you got one that lasted 10 plus years, that's the one I'd buy again !!!
The battery is the one that was in the mower when we bought it around ten years ago and I doubt that it was new then.
I am a firm believer in those little five dollar float/maintainer chargers sold by Harbor Freight and the machine has never sat for more than a few hours without the float charger being plugged in; everything on this place that has a battery(s) has one of those simple little chargers hard-wired with a 110v cord hanging out the grille or battery box.

That being said, hard as it is to comprehend, the battery is a U1 7 Never Start from Walmart; it says Made By Johnson Controls
From my research, the "7" denotes a lower profile and quite a bit lower CCA than a standard U1 (which is recommended size)
I figure the old man I got the mower from just grabbed the first one he saw on the shelf that looked like it would fit and could have even robbed the battery from something else; he had dozens of Cub Cadets and many dozens of all brands.