Breather line into the air cleaner

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Breather line into the air cleaner

Post by chzuck »

Been thinking of trying something with the Cub 147. With all the dust and other stuff stirred up while mowing, a good bit collects on the breather cover and below. I was thinking of running a hose from a breather plate that would have the normal opening blocked off to the air cleaner backing plate so the exit of the rubber hose would be near the carburetor intake. A lot of air cooled engines have something similar. Anyone ever try this on a Kohler?
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Breather line into the air cleaner

Post by ksanders »

I'm not sure I fully understand but like the Quietline? They are closed and get their air from the flywheel housing. If so, just acquiring a few parts will get you what you want.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Porting the breather hose inside the realm of filtered air is very common for automotive engines, and it'll work fine on your Cub, but it WILL make the carb rather oily. Automotive engines have Positive Crankcase Ventilation valves,which use manifold vacuum to pull a slight negative pressure on the crankcase. Since they're fours, sixes, and eights, there's a certain amount of 'distributed displacement' between the cylinders that a big single does NOT have, so making an automotive PCV setup work well... will be quite a challenge... :ugeek:
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Group member David Kirk offers this-
Image from his web site.
Installed.jpg
Installed.jpg (17.92 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
With some effort and the proper fittings I'd suppose it could be plumbed into the rear air filter housing. Adding an in line PCV valve may help.
While I have never tried it myself it's been reported inverting the standard cover plate to upside down position (vent upward) greatly reduces the amount of oil splatter with no negative affect providing of course oil the drain down hole is clean and reed valve are functioning correctly. Keep in mind that the oil drain down hole always needs to face toward the bottom.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

I considered David Kirk's idea, but on the 14 hp Kohler the spring to the governor arm is different. There is another short little arm that the hose would interfere with. That hose running down inside the frame would keep things clean.

BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Post by BearKiller »

I am not sure just what you have envisioned, but your question brought to mind the breather modification on a Cub Cadet that I have often seen at the antique tractor shows; it is a modification that I intend to implement on mine.

It is rather simple, but quite effective.

He brazed a length of tubing into the stock breather housing, straight up for a couple inches with a 90* bend to about four inches rearward.
He sealed off the stock opening around the back of the housing.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Would you happen to have any photos? The engine vapors attract a lot of dirt on that side of the engine.