Carb Repairs

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Carb Repairs

Post by chzuck »

I was just looking at some prices for parts for the Carburetor on my 14hp Kohler, ouch! I need a throttle shaft and would like to have a bushing installed in the top half. I did the thick washer repair, but it does not last very long. $45 for the bushing and machine work, Around $35 for a Kohler throttle shaft, then I still need a rebuild kit. I hate going Chinese, but for far less money I can have a tight carburetor again. Anyone have any experience with the Chinese carbs?
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

dale campbell
First and Last Name: Dale Campbell

Re: Carb Repairs

Post by dale campbell »

I've used a few now only problem was the plastic float arm was separated from the float . I used the old float and it worked great

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Worked with 3 this spring, 2 couldn’t get the high speed and adjustment right. The third came from a different source and I couldn’t adjust low speed! Re-rebuild the Kohler carb and it’s not happy either. Take care of your fuel systems, run them dry and find ethnoal free fuel!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

I have never done a bushing repair....I think I read somewhere that older carbs can be done with a drill press. Before you ask China for help with your 147 maybe call Ray and ask him what he gets for used carbs. Then go over and look for a tight one to rebuild.
I'm so over China crap, but I understand sometimes it's hard to avoid. I just spent $10 extra for an epoxy gun that was made in a country called USA.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

You would need good drill press and mine is not that tight. Brian Miller will do it for $45, then their is shipping, which runs the total pretty high. Kohler wants $35 for just the throttle shaft. I am going to check with a friend who has a machine shop at his house and has done great work for me before. Joe has planted doubts about the Chinese carb, which I really was not keen on except for wondering if it was prudent to put that much money in a carburetor.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Charlie
I did find a OEM for the bushing without the shaft. 25-158-02-s. I’ve yet to try this but it has been saved in my eBay watch list for some time. It’s around $15 with shipping. Keep us posted.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

My one #30 carb has a straight shaft with two flats at the top. I found 3 of those on ebay. I would like the shaft that includes the mount for the carburetor linkage like the later #30 carbs have. Would you know the part #. I have decided to repair it. I have the bushing in, but it is worn. I can drill it out and install a new one. Maybe if I keep it lubed it will last longer. The #30 on the 147 had a two-piece clamp type arrangement that the governor attached to. Later Cubs use the shaft with the lever permanently attached. That is the one I would like to use.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

You would need to find a used one, the shaft repair kit requires you to grind off the Top of the shaft and the new one has a tapped hole for a small screw. I think it4-40 threads.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Just installed a china carb on an 8hp original. runs perfect now.

I attempted to clean the old carb. all the holes plugged solid with bad gas.... got mad and pushed it to back of workbench.!

For me i do like the original carbs... but sometimes just not worth it. i think china carb cost me 10 bucks. I do hate giving money to china, but its hard to avoid
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

My carb is in great shape except for the throttle shaft and the common worn hole. I had already installed the repair bushing. I will carefully drill that out and install a new one and most likely will purchase the later style aftermarket throttle shaft from Brian Miller. I am in my early seventies and that should last me the rest of my mowing days. My first experience with a Chinese carb was not good and first impressions are lasting impressions.