PTO belt problems

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
lfrelich
First and Last Name: Lynn Frelich

PTO belt problems

Post by lfrelich »

Hey-
My 129 with 42 inch deck has gone thru 2 new cub cadet brand belts in a month.
Both idler pulleys are new. The deck turns easily by hand. The PTO pulley seems to be in fine condition.
The tensioner works normally.
Belts are (were) a 3/8 x 81 original part number IH-473462-R4.
Maybe the belts were from a bad batch?
Anybody have any ideas? :?:

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Re: PTO belt problems

Post by davis2 »

I'd ask the dealer where you purchased the belts to replace one.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

About nine years ago there was a run of defective IH-490489-R2 belts, this is the 1" shorter PTO belt meant for the narrow frame. They lasted only about 3 weeks before blowing apart so I suppose it is a possibility. There was never a recall issued and neither the dealerships nor CCC ever accepted responsibility. That was a bit low of them all acting as though nothing was wrong the whole time until the existing supply was used up.
While this group of belts is described as 3/8" that is a pitch dimension and not the true width, the actual width across the top will measure much closer to 7/16"
Measure a new belt across the top, if it's at 3/8" their knocking out bad belts again. And I would not put that past them.

lfrelich
First and Last Name: Lynn Frelich

Post by lfrelich »

Thanks for the thoughts.
The failed belts are 3/8 wide. Another belt I have (an R2 80inch ) is 7/16 wide.
Both belts failed exactly the same way. Looks like they started to shred and then snapped cleanly.
I'll try and get a warranty replacement.
Thanks again -

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Both shown are very well worn. Yet still nearly 7/16".
DSCN8977.JPG
DSCN8977.JPG (1006.86 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
DSCN8978.JPG
DSCN8978.JPG (737.87 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
Another run of bad belts :?:

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

I replaced my PTO belt last week. It was at least 8 years old, a Huskee belt from Tractor Supply.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Many guys go that route with the type "A" belts, it's quite common. But I have never had the least bit of luck in doing so after multiple tries. Even with factory new idler pulley's and the support arms aligned perfectly within a couple of hours run time the belt inverts and starts to run on the top and bottom rather than the sides and then eventually self destructs. Not enough depth on them with the V section, they tend to roll over when going around the 90 degree bend. If it works for anyone that's great. But I gave up on that a long time ago :lol: