Dreaded Hydro Gasket

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Dreaded Hydro Gasket

Post by chzuck »

Remember back in the IH Registry days when the hot subject was the hydro gasket and guys were making gaskets from neoprene? I bought one from someone on the registry and finally got to install it years later in 2018. Well it lasted about 2 1/2 years and now the 147 is leaking badly. I don't have it apart yet, but looking at the gasket area it appears to have badly swollen, which leads me to believe the one I got was not neoprene. Anyway I am going back to the Cub gasket. The original one was all cork, but Cub revised it at some point and now the gasket is a combination of cork and some type of rubber that I assume is resistant to the hydro oil. While I am at it I am replacing the axle extension gaskets and axle seals because the one extension has a slight leak at the gasket. Experience has taught me that once you disturb an old oil seal, it will leak. So all new OEM replacement items.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: Dreaded Hydro Gasket

Post by Tom Scott »

Ugh, sorry Charlie, it sucks when that day arrives and you know you have this tedious job in front of you! At least it's not too terrible of a job and you have the reward of no more nasty leaks when you're done.
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Yea, it is not as easy this time after having a Lumbar Fusion and hip replacement with a tendon tear repair. Getting up and down does not go as easy as it once did.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Got it apart today. Definitely was not neoprene because is swelled and got soft and leaked. Learned another lesson the hard way. Stay with OEM parts!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Hey, you're halfway there now! Putting back together is always more rewarding than tearing down.

It's a shame when people misrepresent what they sell. The cork-rubber factory replacement should be stronger and more durable than an all cork gasket.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

There were several that laid claim to the idea and at about the same time. I never saw the point.
With the factory gasket proven to last 30 - 35+ years and costing less than seven bucks why even bother with anything else.