1979 Cub Cadet International Purchase

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Re: 1979 Cub Cadet International Purchase

Post by davis2 »

SWilliams wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:41 pm
davis2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:52 pm
Hey Steve, there has been a 782D on Utica Craigslist. There seem to be 2 prices,$3200 or $4000. It has a cab and blower, but I didn't look too far into it.
Yeah there is that one and a 1572 Diesel super as well. Only issue at the moment is money... The hospital has to get pair first.
I hear ya there! Never enough $ for what we want...

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Wow...you are back on the trail..and quickly heading down the rabbit hole. Lol. So if you have it delivered would that mean you are buying it site unseen? That would scare me but I know guys do it all the time. I guess I'm to sceptical for that kind of sale. I have rented uhaul trailers for cheap and drove 5 hrs one way for tractors. It might have cost me $50 a few years ago. As far as the tractor it sounds nice but hard to say exactly from a write up. Pictures are way better...and even then every time I see the item in person it doesn't look as good. I guess I'm pretty critical. The three pt, front ports, and blade sound nice and do add a lot to the value. I'm not familiar with the command but I think they are good. This is quite the situation you got yourself into. Good luck with that!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I went and found the add again myself!

It’s don debolt, I don’t think he was ever here, but back in the registry days he was a regular. I should say he is a stand up guy, I would trust his work. As for the price that’s up to the two of you, but he did all the important work. I would try to find someone to help move it east, I know there isn’t be someone that could help move it east I’d don doesn’t want to......

rjarvis1961
First and Last Name: Richard Jarvis

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thank you for your reply Joe and for the testimonial on Don’s character and workmanship. I believe the thing that scares me the most is that I am not mechanical and may be getting in over my head with an older machine. I am not a tinkerer. I do feel strongly that the older machines were way better built in their day than the new ones. Just not too confident in maintaining any 782 without any mechanical experience/know how. As a novice perhaps I should walk away? Just love the looks of the 782’s and way they were made.
Cheers!
:beer:

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

They are simple to maintain really, change the oil, change the air filter, use non-ethanol gas, keep watch for mice who like to chew and build nests, Keep the blades sharp and have a spare belt or two on hand, then just run them. To keep the engine happy a bit of MMO in the gas and when you are getting ready to shut it down let it idle for a few minutes before turning it off.

Plus you have this board if you run into any issues.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Well that certainly is a vote of confidence. Thanks Steve! I know I can maintain that much for sure. The support of the board has really been great and helpful too. I believe I may have found a way to get it East also. I would certainly like to see , start and drive it first. Could be gone by the time I can get out that way early next week though. Buying eight unseeen scares me a bit, although it seems to be in very good condition and looks perfect.

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

If this machine is the one Don has it should have all the kinks worked out of it. He was on the old registry back before the crash. As for the repower, the command engine is a good upgrade. The factory engine would have been the flat twin, which are good if they are the series two. But the commands are nicer and perform as well or better. Plus they idle down and sound like a race engine !! :D
Price wise that isn't that bad for what that tractor is and what it comes with, but it's your money. Keep in mind that the older machines are a LOT heavier duty and higher quality than the new stuff, There are original Cub Cadets still out there mowing and working and those are over 50 years old. My newest tractor is 25 years old. Still cuts grass and blows snow better than the new machines.
As for the repaint, that tractor was built in the middle years, at that time there were Cub Cadet dealers as stand alone places and you could also buy the same tractors at the IH dealer next to the bigger tractors. To make that happen they had two different paint schemes. One was the red and black to match the IH tractors of the time and the other was the Cub Cadet yellow and cream. The colors and decals were the only difference in them.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Appreciate your input again Steve. I think I have now done all I can without actually seeing , hearing and riding machine. Thanks to you all that is! I have reached out to Don to try an arrange a time for the aforementioned. I am anxiously awaiting his reply. Keep you posted! Thank you again!

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Hello All,
It’s been a while. Hope everyone is doing well, safe and healthy! I did in fact purchase the 782 that Don Debolt had advertised. Today was the first time I mowed with the machine and it ran great! I’m very pleased with it so far. One concern I have that perhaps someone can help answer is with the PTO belt.

When attaching the mower deck does the belt go between the two front slots/brackets , or on the outside of them? Or, does part of the belt go on the outside of one bracket and the inside of the other? I believe I “smoked” the belt a bit due to some rubbing? Not sure if ai have to replace it now or what? Little beginners mistake I’m afraid...

Appreciate your responses . Once I get her all cleaned up and shining , I will post some photos!

Cheers,
Rich

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

The belt comes from the clutch straight down to the two idlers then straight back from them to the pulley on the deck. On the lift frame it will be above the cross brace. Shouldn't touch anything but the 4 sheaves. Up front on the mule drive it has one fixed idler and the other is spring loaded. The adjustment is for belt stretch and wear. This is showing the 38/44 and 50 belt routing but pretty much any deck built after the quietline series is set up the same way. The 82 and cyclops look a bit different but the routing is almost identical. You can get any owners manuals on this site, if you don't see the exact one you want just ask, somebody likely has it.
belt.JPG
belt.JPG (73.92 KiB) Viewed 10261 times

davis2

Post by davis2 »

rjarvis1961 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:18 pm
Hello All,
It’s been a while. Hope everyone is doing well, safe and healthy! I did in fact purchase the 782 that Don Debolt had advertised. Today was the first time I mowed with the machine and it ran great! I’m very pleased with it so far. One concern I have that perhaps someone can help answer is with the PTO belt.

When attaching the mower deck does the belt go between the two front slots/brackets , or on the outside of them? Or, does part of the belt go on the outside of one bracket and the inside of the other? I believe I “smoked” the belt a bit due to some rubbing? Not sure if ai have to replace it now or what? Little beginners mistake I’m afraid...

Appreciate your responses . Once I get her all cleaned up and shining , I will post some photos!

Cheers,
Rich
Rich, I took a picture of my 782:
belt routing 782.jpg
belt routing 782.jpg (99.89 KiB) Viewed 10257 times
you can see that the right side runs between the lift lugs and left side (from seat perspective) should be to the outside of the left lift lug. My pic was taken on the mower discharge side... Hope this helps.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thank you! I believe I got it now...

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Dave, can you please let me know what PTO belt/replacement belt(s) work for the 782? I believe the part number is 934-300A, but not exactly sure really. I have a 50 inch mower deck on it also. Thank you!

davis2

Post by davis2 »

rjarvis1961 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:28 am
Dave, can you please let me know what PTO belt/replacement belt(s) work for the 782? I believe the part number is 934-300A, but not exactly sure really. I have a 50 inch mower deck on it also. Thank you!
I'm not sure what the part # is. I bought my replacement at Tractor Supply. And that was almost 10 years ago. I will get that # tomorrow, the back is barking so I'm on my butt tonight.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thank you Dave. I hear ya on the barking back! Spent the entire day yesterday raking, tarping and dragging leaves ! Pretty crippled last night myself! Hope to just do some mowing today!! 👍

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

rjarvis1961 wrote: ↑

Today I tried a 5/8” x 85” Husky belt as a replacement , but it was too short. Going to see about an 86” tomorrow. Does anyone know the exact size belt needed?

Thank you

davis2

Post by davis2 »

20201108_155923.jpg
20201108_155923.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 10189 times
rjarvis1961 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:46 pm
rjarvis1961 wrote: ↑

Today I tried a 5/8” x 85” Husky belt as a replacement , but it was too short. Going to see about an 86” tomorrow. Does anyone know the exact size belt needed?

Thank you
Sorry it took so long... It's a 5/8 x88"
20201108_155923.jpg
20201108_155923.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 10189 times
look at the picture It may be upside down. Nope, it's right side up, but it was taken upside down!

davis2

Post by davis2 »

And Rich, you can take the broken belts and match them up to a new belt if they aren't too destroyed...

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thanks Dave!!

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Rich
I’ve been using a 46” deck and a bagger, much easier then the blower, tarp, loader, Snow plow etc. if you have all the correct parts, it will mount on your 782.
Joe

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thanks for the insight Joe! Where I was raking is like a dried up swamp full of leaves ... stumps, mounds, clumps of long grass and a ton of fallen branches and debris . Only way in , or out, is with a backpack blower , rake and tarp! Think I should just bulldoze and make it a parking lot! Lol

I am looking forward to learning of the possible tasks that can be done with the 782 and the various attachments. The 46” deck and bagger does sound great for the more open part of my property. Thank you!

Please feel free to clue me in on what other jobs this machine can do. It seems like a beast compared to the 2138 I am used to. There’s no comparison I’m sure. Just getting used to riding it .

A couple of things I have concerns about are how hot it gets after a very short period of time. Is this normal for an engine this old (think it’s a 1996 -Kohler Command 18hp). Are there things I can do to keep it cooler? Have not even mowed in hot weather with it yet.

The other concern I have is up and down hills with the 782. I’ve been cautious so far and have not actually attempted any. Again, just a very different feel from being used to a 2128 riding mower.

She’s pretty cool though all and all ... no pun intended!

Cheers,
Rich

davis2

Post by davis2 »

rjarvis1961 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:14 pm
Thanks for the insight Joe! Where I was raking is like a dried up swamp full of leaves ... stumps, mounds, clumps of long grass and a ton of fallen branches and debris . Only way in , or out, is with a backpack blower , rake and tarp! Think I should just bulldoze and make it a parking lot! Lol

I am looking forward to learning of the possible tasks that can be done with the 782 and the various attachments. The 46” deck and bagger does sound great for the more open part of my property. Thank you!

Please feel free to clue me in on what other jobs this machine can do. It seems like a beast compared to the 2138 I am used to. There’s no comparison I’m sure. Just getting used to riding it .

A couple of things I have concerns about are how hot it gets after a very short period of time. Is this normal for an engine this old (think it’s a 1996 -Kohler Command 18hp). Are there things I can do to keep it cooler? Have not even mowed in hot weather with it yet.

The other concern I have is up and down hills with the 782. I’ve been cautious so far and have not actually attempted any. Again, just a very different feel from being used to a 2128 riding mower.

She’s pretty cool though all and all ... no pun intended!

Cheers,
Rich
Rich, I take the side panels off mine in the summer. It helps keep it cooler.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

I will do that Dave. Thank you! Got the proper replacement belt this morning btw. She’s runin’ like a champ!

davis2

Post by davis2 »

Glad to hear it's running. Took the deck off mine today, going to put the plow on! Then chains!
BTW, where are the pictures of that new beast? I may have to drive to Cooperstown if you don't!

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Things to use it for, Mowing the grass, blowing snow, are the common ones, but there are a lot of other uses depending on what you want or need. There are front end loaders, backhoes, dozer blades, flail mowers, rear tillers and tons more. If you look in the document section on top you can find the attachment guides that show some of the factory and outside makers attachments for them. These tractors were meant to do most of what the compact tractors they sell today would do. Got a garden? You can add the rear three point and use real tillage tools like plows, discs, planters and more. Got a pond, ditch, fence line that is hard to mow around, hunt up a sickle bar mower to make it easier.
Now one item that isn't a lot of fun is switching some of the attachments around, that is why there are many folks here who have multiple machines. You can then leave something like a sickle bar installed on a tractor and not need to wrestle it around.
You mention having a swampy area around you, hunt up one of the heavy duty blades and use it to start cleaning it out, get a good chain and with ag tires or turf with chains start pulling stumps, For the real rough areas you can do what I did, hunt down a used deck, remove the baffles under it, take off the scalping wheels and sharpen the blades and use it like a bush hog. I built a front bumper that is welded to the deck mule drive and bolts solid so I can drive over sumac and brush up to about 2" or so. Stuff you wouldn't want to use a nice deck for.
Get bored, fill the tank and take it for a ride around town.
Take a look at the attached, that is just a few of the items that were made to fit or can easily be adapted to fit.
Special Equipment CR-1504-M2 (6-8).pdf
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 119 times

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

davis2 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:34 pm
Glad to hear it's running. Took the deck off mine today, going to put the plow on! Then chains!
BTW, where are the pictures of that new beast? I may have to drive to Cooperstown if you don't!
She’s now in Greenfield Center NY, which is where I’ll using her. Got to get some photos posted I know. It did come with a blade. Installing that and getting g it to function properly will be a whole nother learning curve I’m sure! Imagine I need weights , chains and the like too?!

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Rich
Weights and chains are a must! Chains more so then weights.i prefer to keep a set of chains on smaller (skinny) 6-12’s this will make the tractor sink and find traction easier. This will also allow you to do more work with less added weight! It all depends on your surface, if your on gravel, use ice chains with the cleats. If you have new asphalt that your want to take care of I would recommend the rubber coated bunjie chains!

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

SWilliams wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:29 pm
Things to use it for, Mowing the grass, blowing snow, are the common ones, but there are a lot of other uses depending on what you want or need. There are front end loaders, backhoes, dozer blades, flail mowers, rear tillers and tons more. If you look in the document section on top you can find the attachment guides that show some of the factory and outside makers attachments for them. These tractors were meant to do most of what the compact tractors they sell today would do. Got a garden? You can add the rear three point and use real tillage tools like plows, discs, planters and more. Got a pond, ditch, fence line that is hard to mow around, hunt up a sickle bar mower to make it easier.
Now one item that isn't a lot of fun is switching some of the attachments around, that is why there are many folks here who have multiple machines. You can then leave something like a sickle bar installed on a tractor and not need to wrestle it around.
You mention having a swampy area around you, hunt up one of the heavy duty blades and use it to start cleaning it out, get a good chain and with ag tires or turf with chains start pulling stumps, For the real rough areas you can do what I did, hunt down a used deck, remove the baffles under it, take off the scalping wheels and sharpen the blades and use it like a bush hog. I built a front bumper that is welded to the deck mule drive and bolts solid so I can drive over sumac and brush up to about 2" or so. Stuff you wouldn't want to use a nice deck for.
Get bored, fill the tank and take it for a ride around town.
Take a look at the attached, that is just a few of the items that were made to fit or can easily be adapted to fit.

Special Equipment CR-1504-M2 (6-8).pdf
Thanks Steve! Appreciate the info and the link to the various implements/attachments. Not sure how anyone could ever get bored with all that, but I do like the idea of taking her for a ride around town!

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

rjarvis1961 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:21 pm
She’s now in Greenfield Center NY, which is where I’ll using her. Got to get some photos posted I know. It did come with a blade. Installing that and getting g it to function properly will be a whole nother learning curve I’m sure! Imagine I need weights , chains and the like too?!
See you already need a second tractor for the blade ... :lol: :lol:

You will discover one of my only pet peeves with the smaller tractors, they only like one attachment at a time without the rear three point and changing them can be a chore. To put the blade on requires you remove the mower deck and it's mule drive so the blade can be installed with it's brace. Then you install the lift arm for the blade to the arm on the side of the tractor, unless it's the 54 inch blade, that uses a mount that attaches under the tractor.

davis2

Post by davis2 »

rjarvis1961 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:21 pm
davis2 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:34 pm
Greenfield Center... I believe I've been there. If there's a farm there, I likely have been. The plow isn't too bad, a helper makes it a lot easier! :)