1979 Cub Cadet International Purchase

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
rjarvis1961
First and Last Name: Richard Jarvis

1979 Cub Cadet International Purchase

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Hello,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1979 Cub Cadet International Garden Tractor. It appears to be in very good shape and was part of a collectors inventory. The asking price is $2000 , but owner will sell to me for $1800. I am not a collector. I own a 2003 LT2138 Rider mower currently, but fell in love with the '79 IH when I saw it. I appreciate "vintage" craftsmanship and machines that were built to last. My questions are:

1) Should I feel comfortable using the '79 IH Cub Cadet as a regular lawn mower? I would not be purchasing it to have solely as a collector item.

2) What questions should I ask the owner about using the machine on a regular basis (probably about 1x a week to mow grass on a 1 acre plot) , or 30-40 hrs annually.

3) Do you think I will enjoy the performance as well as riding the '79 IH vs the 2003 LT 2138 I have been using for a few years now?

Thank you!

BKLYN RICH
:beer:

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: 1979 Cub Cadet International Purchase

Post by dag1450 »

This all sounds very exciting! This 1979 has a model number? This model starts with the engine horse power followed by "00" for gear drive or "50" for hydro drive. Ex. I have a 1979 "1650" which is 16 hp hydrostatic drive. I think a lot of your experience with a tractor like this will be based on how much you like the tractor and weather you can appreciate the older vintage equipment. It already sounds like you do. As far as if it's capable of mowing an acre every week? It most definitely is.. But getting to a point of having it proform flawless every week may take some time to work out some bugs....and then keeping up and being proactive with light and heavy maintenance. This tractor is very old and could be pretty tired internally so it may need to be brought up to speed. I have not seen this tractor but for $2k it should be very very nice and should not need anything as far as repair! Hopefully the mower deck is flawless as well. For an acre of ground I would hope for the 50c deck. A 44" is kinda small for that lot. Those older decks might not mow quite as nice as a newer mower deck but I think they do pretty good with sharp blades. A big question is how many hours are on the engine? Have any gaskets or seals been replaced? Mower bearings? Age of the PTO? These are heavy duty tractors but again being 40 years old...things wear out and need replacing. Good luck. It can also very satisfying to buy a tractor for $500 and build it up yourself. Doing that may or may not take you up to the 2k price but it's more about the fun and experience. I mow 3 acres every week with my 33 year old cub cadet and I have a great time doing it!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thanks for your reply! The model is a 782. I appreciate the insight on what I should ask the owner regarding any work that has been done i.e.- gaskets, seals etc.! It's an awesome looking machine!

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Richard,
Glad you found the site and I hope you continue to hang out.
A 782 would have been built sometime in the early 80s. 1979 would have been a Quiet Line 1250,1450,1650 from what I remember(zip it Dag! :lol: )
My opinion is unless it is pristine 2,000 is top dollar. If you are mechanical you should be able to find a 782 near you that can use some fix ups for 500 or less. If you are not mechanical but still want an older Cub I would put out feelers here and I suspect you will find a nice tractor for a good price.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thank you Mike! I am not mechanical and really just loved the look of this 782 and how well it was made to last. I am happy with my LT 2138. I saw the 782 for sale when inquiring about getting mine serviced.
Cheers!
Rich

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Yes it's top dollar for sure and you can find them for less but if you really want one the 782 is as good as it gets for using ih built garden tractors. I mow 2 acres weekly with my restored one and it gets after it and doesn't take too long. For that $1800 though I'd expect very nice original paint, a low hour engine with no valve noise and good compression, no hydro or engine leaks, and a nice deck without rust or spindle slop. Those are a lot of the common things I know of needing attention and the cost adds quick. If any of these issues exist I'd say it's considerably overpriced. If not that's top dollar but not unfair and you'd have a nice weekly mower that will last many years past when a new one is junk. These were high end expensive machines for the time and still are when maintained. Think of it as buying a compact tractor with belly mower by today's standards vs. A lawn mower to mow the grass. You wouldn't need your other one anymore so you could recoup some cost on that.
Just my 2 cents.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thanks for your reply and honest opinion on the 782. I am now even more excited and determined to find out just how good a shape this machine is in. As I had said, it was part of a collection from an owner of a Cub Cadet dealership/retailer. The machine was sold by him when he sold his shop. I have some feelers out with local contacts who know the owner who had it in his collection originally. As of a few days ago he was going to go and check out the 782 and report back to my contact. We'll see! Meanwhile I will inquire again about it with the seller now that I'm more informed of what to ask about it. Thanks again!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Richard - 782 is a fabulous machine, but find out what engine it has before you pay top dollar. I'm working from memory, so some other members can help, but, there was a KT17 Series 1 engine that was undesirable (no oil pump, splash lubrication only), and an Onan (had some issues and poor parts availability). Both of the these are undesirable in my book.

The Kohler KT17 Series 2 or the Mag 18 are the only engines I would consider. Both of these engines have pressurized oil systems and are great engines.

For $1800 it should be fairly low hour and in fabulous shape, but if both these are true it is a bargain compared to anything new for that money.

Remember, this is not a dinky lawn tractor, this is a for-real garden tractor. Big difference.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Tom, thank you for the heads up on the engine types/models! Great info and much appreciated. I will find out what engine it is.

The 782 may be well beyond my needs for mowing. It’s just very compelling to me. The 2003 LT 2138 I currently mow with does the job pretty well and gets me around some trees and shrubs in tighter spots in my property, so not sure if the 782 is too much machine? It’s cool though for sure!

Thanks
Rich

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Rich
Being in northwest CT I’m about 2 1/2-3 hour ride to your area in Cooperstown. Prices should be about the same here!

For 1800-2k it best be a prefect machine, like others have said perfect Original paint or restored. Options add up as well, your In snow country does it come with a 2 stage blower? Again condition, 3 point hitch? Like Tom said the engine matters too, the series 1 was the original engine used in the 782, later in production they went to the series II, look through the grill on the front at the left side (as seated) of the tractor you should see ports for the optional remote oil filter. Red paint also seams to sell and drive the cost up, they came both red or yellow depending on what dealer sold it new just a cub cadet dealer they where yellow or IH farm dealer would have been red.

If your simply in the market for a older garden tractor, they can be had more in the 500-1000 range. I would look for the 782 hydro lift, 1810- manual lift, 1811- hydro lift, 1812 Hydro lift with front ports for a power angle plow. These tractors (18’s) replaced the 782 and went from 17 to 18hp they all came with the magnum engine witch pressure lube and solid state ignition.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I just read your post in the lt2138 topic, as it crosses I’m responding here. I would have the deck on the LT fixed. Like Tom said cut out the rust and weld in new and then weld the hook back where it should be. These decks always have this issue over time, thin stamped decks don’t last! Look at the 782 and report back, either way fix the LT and keep it as a spare!

Also start buying your cub gas at Stewart’s and get the 91 ethanol free, if not you’ll be looking into a carb rebuild every spring. I drive almost 2 hours to the closest Stewart’s, just for the ethanol free!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Rich's post from the LT2138 thread, to keep everyone from being confused...
rjarvis1961 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:00 pm
Thanks Tom! I just got off the phone with the seller of the 782 after asking him several questions. He is getting back to me with the engine model. It is definitely a Kohler 17hp, just not sure if it is a Series 1 or 2? He stated that everything has been done on the machine (he has a shop and sells tractors & mowers) i.e.- PTO is new, no engine leaks (gaskets and seals are tight), mower deck is solid throughout, hydraulics working well etc. He said it is showing 5,000 hrs, but that is due to it being on a trickle charger with the key left in the ignition ?? Says it really has about 1200 hrs on it ?? I will be taking it for a ride tomorrow morning.
Rich, let's keep the 782 discussion here so we all don't get whiplash going back and forth...
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

My gut is you're overpaying. This machine would need to be verified extremely low hour with near perfect everything to justify that money. Including paint and decals, should be near perfect. What deck? Again, should be near perfect, no rust. This is top asking dollar and demands top condition.

Hours are now unknown due to the "key on", which is very believable as you'll never find one of these that was actually used for that many hours, but now you truly have no idea of the hours. I wouldn't touch it unless it is a Series 2 engine, and verify for yourself as Joe says. Don't trust the seller's word or a decal on the engine, look for the ports.

Fix the LT2138 and then you can take your time looking at other tractors; you can come up with another 782 or one of the models Joe listed, at your leisure for a lot less money. Don't make a rushed decision because you have a rotted deck.

Post pics if you go look at this 782. Front, back sides, engine compartment. We'll comment.
<><

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Okay, so found out the engine is a Series 1. Got it out of my system now, but a damn nice looking machine. Since it's almost the end of the mowing season here in Cooperstown NY I am going to get the deck fixed on my LT 2138 and have it serviced for next year. Should the deck repair be expansive , or expensive, what would anyone advise?

if/when I do in fact seek out a "new mower" I wouldn't mind an older Cub that could get the job done. I very much like the idea of an older well made machine vs the newer ones.

Thank you all for your great advice; you have been most helpful!

If ever anyone has any questions about Craft Beer, I can help with some answers/advice. That is what I did for the last 23 years! Brooklyn Brewery was my employer.

Enjoy the photos!

Cheers,
Rich
IMG_1751.jpg
IMG_1751.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 13207 times
IMG_1750.jpg
IMG_1750.jpg (860.82 KiB) Viewed 13207 times
IMG_1749.jpg
IMG_1749.jpg (768.99 KiB) Viewed 13207 times
IMG_1747 (1).jpg
IMG_1747 (1).jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 13207 times
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg (729.54 KiB) Viewed 13207 times

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

IMG_1746.jpg
IMG_1746.jpg (818.04 KiB) Viewed 13208 times
IMG_1745.jpg
IMG_1745.jpg (933.3 KiB) Viewed 13208 times

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

That's a darn nice 782 and I would say worth the money... but i don't believe it's 1979. It's MTD built so 81 and later. Oddly has IH hubcaps and Mtd mowers shouldn't have a series 1 if I remember right. Seems like a not all original but nice restoration.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Yeah nice tractor. It still has value but I think that tractor would be best for a trained cub cadet eye? It looks like it has new paint and that's fine but you don't know what your getting underneath the new gloss. A few things aren't adding up and unfortunately that means don't trust anything anyone says about it. You would need to verify every aspect of that tractor for yourself. It's still clean...but I'm just throwing out a ballpark value at $1100. They really did a bad job with tire selection! :roll:

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I take that back...with that engine....$900 max. Like Tom said....that engine has a very bad reputation.... especially on a hill or embankment. Few years ago I sold a very clean all original 1811 with a beautiful deck. Only able to get $800.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

OK so I'm late to the party. Cooperstown is in my back yard. I believe I also know that tractor as well as it was part of Iver Lindbergs collection when he owned that same shop. Bought many parts out there as well as a few of my Cubs. The building has a unique history though. At one time it was a fire museum, then a Church hall where my wife and I held our wedding reception! Then it became one of the top Cub Cadet dealerships in the state when Iver had it. When he retired a couple folks bought the place and turned it into the current shop.
That tractor was restored in the shop there, It has a few of the later "wrong" parts on it because he liked to dress them up a bit.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Wow, small world indeed! Yes, Iver has his Cub Cadet Dealership there. He is and always was highly respected as as a dealer. I purchased a used LT 2138 years back from Iver after the Montgomery Ward rider mower that came with my house died! Iver’s Cub collection was/is impressive too. That is why I was son intrigued and compelled to learn more about the 782 when I walked into the current shop and saw it for sale.

Very interesting history about the building itself and the fact that you had your wedding reception there! Thank you for sharing that!

Cheers!

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Just to clarify any confusion ( as I wrote the word has and meant to write had) in reference to Iver’s shop/dealership, it is now owned by new owners since Iver retired several years ago. When I saw the 782 in the new owners shop, they told me that it was part of Iver’s collection originally and they acquired it when they bought the shop from Iver.

Thank you

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Yep, knew what you meant. I have only been out to the place once after Iver got out. Miss having him out there, he stocked a lot of parts for the older machines. Bought my 1641 there, then bought a lot of misc. parts over the years. I think he got out at the right time, as much as I like Cub Cadets, none of the newer lawn/garden machines are as tough as the older machines with the exception being some of the 3000 series. At the moment I'm looking at the 1641 listed on marketplace as a "1420" If it had a commercial deck it would already be here!

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Back on the trail! Saw a post for the following: 782 Cub Cadet. Repowered with a Kohler command v twin 18 hp. Has front hydraulic ports and a 3 point hitch. 50 inch deck. Tractor comes with power angle blade (see photo). New battery, seat and front pto belt. Has a tach and hour meter

The machine has been totally refurbished and repainted red (was originally yellow). It looks great! Owner said deck is solid with “gator blades.” Asking $1200. I am not that much of an aficionado that all things needs to be original.
I know nothing about the Kohler Command v twin 18hp engine either that this machine now has in it.

Thoughts?

Thank you

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Richard
Sounds like the 782 Albie posted for sale down in MD?

Is Ivers the dealer that had the huge spring auction every year? If so, it was sad to see them close, the auction was fun! I would skip everything but the last 30 or so items, I was after all the parts! Leave home at 9 bid, Arrive at noon, buy, load and leave 3 home before 6.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

The post was actually from a guy from Western NY. Pretty much a total restoration. Sounds and looks like a nice job. It’s a 3.5 hr ride away though and I have no means to transport it back. Oh well ...

I’m not sure if it was Iver who held the auction each Spring? Steve Williams would probably be able to better answer that ques. Iver’s dealership was located on the corner of Rtes 20 & 80 In Springfield NY. There is a pretty big auction held right on Rte 20 near Sharon Springs NY (not too far from Iver’s old shop) I know. Iver May have been involved in that too?! I used to see him every year at his exhibit at the Otsego County Fair grounds also.

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Yep, Ivers place was the one who held the big auction in the spring. The place up the road is MacFaddens. He used to come and run the auction at Ivers. I was likely bidding against you Joe. Didn't know it then. Sad thing is that most of the dealers around here now don't keep the older trade ins like Iver did, nor do any of them stock the older parts, they will however tell you that your old tractor is obsolete and you should buy this new 20K compact to replace it. It's why I've been buying up some now and then, May go fetch another super this week, the guy that has it says he was mowing and it made a bang and quit. If it is as nice as the pictures show I'll drop the 22 horse I have on it and call it done!

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Hey Steve, there has been a 782D on Utica Craigslist. There seem to be 2 prices,$3200 or $4000. It has a cab and blower, but I didn't look too far into it.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Steve
I’m sure we did!
We talked about meeting up, but never where able to pick each other out of the crowd.
Our dealers here are the same, the old dealer that has been in town since the 40’s, (They moved around least once, and changed owners at least twice.) went down when they forced the parts “girl” to retire. She was there from the 70’s if not longer till about 2012, the “kids” of the owners took over and wanted her and the old gone. They dropped the cub line in favor of Husqvarna Kabota and Scag. 2 other dealers opened locally since then, both are “new” dealers. I buy/sell enough parts rigs to have good used, I buy new on-line, aftermarket and Koehler on eBay. New cub parts come direct from the cub cadet web-site.

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

davis2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:52 pm
Hey Steve, there has been a 782D on Utica Craigslist. There seem to be 2 prices,$3200 or $4000. It has a cab and blower, but I didn't look too far into it.
Yeah there is that one and a 1572 Diesel super as well. Only issue at the moment is money... The hospital has to get pair first.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

"Back on the trail! Saw a post for the following: 782 Cub Cadet. Repowered with a Kohler command v twin 18 hp. Has front hydraulic ports and a 3 point hitch. 50 inch deck. Tractor comes with power angle blade (see photo). New battery, seat and front pto belt. Has a tach and hour meter

The machine has been totally refurbished/restored and repainted red (was originally yellow). It looks great! Owner said deck is solid with “gator blades.” Asking $1200. I am not that much of an aficionado that all things needs to be original.
I know nothing about the Kohler Command v twin 18hp engine either that this machine now has in it."

I had posted above a few days ago. Since then I learned from the owner that the engine is Spec # 18's, Serial # 2230711797 (manufactured in 1992). Owner purchased the motor 3 years ago with a blown head gasket. He replaced that and the other head gasket, along with All other gaskets rather than reuse the old. The engine and tractor has about 10 hrs on it the last 3 years as it was used for display purposes. The Cam was also replaced. The tractor was manufactured in 1987. Asking price is $1200. It's a 4hour drive for me. I do not have the means to transport it back. Owner said he would deliver but would have to get an additional $250 to do so and would need the total of $1450 up front. He has a lot invested in it and several people interested in addition to myself.

Anyone who reads this and wants to respond ... Please let me know what you think?

Thank you
Cheers!