LT 2138 Mower Deck Weld

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
rjarvis1961
First and Last Name: Richard Jarvis

LT 2138 Mower Deck Weld

Post by rjarvis1961 »

IMG_1744.jpg
IMG_1744.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2410 times
Wondering if someone could help with some questions please? I'm not sure what the part is called, but it tore off the mower deck. It attaches to the front bar keeping the mower deck secure. A local riding mower retailer/shop has told me they can weld it back on. To me, it would appear that new metal needs to be welded on the outside and inside parts of the mower deck first for reinforcement where the part tore off. Then the part needs to be welded on. Oh, and the part itself that tore off is bent. I have attached an image of the part, as well as an image of the "guard" that completes the circle of the deck (that too wore off and needs to be welded back on). I guess my questions are: Is this an easy/common fix (weld) and does anyone have any further advice? Thank you!
IMG_1743.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg (656.63 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
:beer:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: LT 2138 Mower Deck Weld

Post by Tom Scott »

Richard - Welcome, sorry for your troubles, but this may turn to good as you embark on chasing down a much heavier duty machine such as the 782 in your other thread.

The mower deck appears to be completely rusted out in that area. You can't weld to rust. To fix, it would indeed need reinforcing steel to tie back into some good steel somewhere. The trouble is, the rest of the deck is likely nearly as rotted, so it may not be salvageable.

With some legwork, you can probably find a good deck, but the 782 you're considering is worlds better. This LT2138 is just a toy compared to the 782.

Deck rot is often caused by generally mowing heavy grass and not scraping the underside of the deck after mowing. The grass, even if it wasn't wet to the touch, has so much moisture in it that it rots the deck as it is coating the inside.

It's a bit OCD, but I drive mine up on wood blocks and spend 10 minutes scraping to prevent the rusting. There's no paint or coating that can protect, just have to get the wet grass out.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

rjarvis1961
First and Last Name: Richard Jarvis

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thanks Tom! I just got off the phone with the seller of the 782 after asking him several questions. He is getting back to me with the engine model. It is definitely a Kohler 17hp, just not sure if it is a Series 1 or 2? He stated that everything has been done on the machine (he has a shop and sells tractors & mowers) i.e.- PTO is new, no engine leaks (gaskets and seals are tight), mower deck is solid throughout, hydraulics working well etc. He said it is showing 5,000 hrs, but that is due to it being on a trickle charger with the key left in the ignition ?? Says it really has about 1200 hrs on it ?? I will be taking it for a ride tomorrow morning.
:beer:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><