Rear anti-scalp roller

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Rear anti-scalp roller

Post by chzuck »

Years ago I installed a rear anti-scalp roller on my 48" deck. I installed it level with the front roller. I am thinking of lowering the rear one and would like to know what others may have done and how well yours works. The reason I want to change the location is I have some very near scalping when I mow my yard with a short hill when I go up and over this hill. Other times I mow across the hill and if I straddle the hill it mows very short on the crown of that hill. I hope all of this makes sense.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: Rear anti-scalp roller

Post by SWilliams »

I have the same issue on my 317 deck when mowing the crowned area at the edge of the road. The deck wheels straddle it enough that the anti-scalp roller is laying on the ground. Normally my solution is to simply lift the deck up and "carry" it to mow that area. I can see where moving the roller would make it work in a similar way and don't see any real downside as long as you don't try setting it level with the outer wheels so it doesn't mess with the normal areas you mow.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

I saw some photos of a deck that Steve Blunier did. I am planning on dropping my roller 3/4".
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

That shouldn't be an issue. On mine it has both front and rear and really needs me to do some work on them... Already got fed up with the center hole being worn so that got bored out and insert bushings like the wheels have installed.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."