7252 cub slow cranking

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Helman
First and Last Name: Todd helman

7252 cub slow cranking

Post by Helman »

I have a cub cadet 7252 when you turn key over it cranks so slow it will not start
I have replaced starter and even used an extra ground nothin seems to help any one out there ever has this issue or can guide me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Re: 7252 cub slow cranking

Post by davis2 »

Heavy oil? Was it cranking fine before winter?

Helman
First and Last Name: Todd helman

Post by Helman »

Yes had a couple times it did it but was fine
Going to test battery to make sure has good amount of cranking amps to be double sure

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Good place to start.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Try a jump test as well. You can just use jumper cables to bypass the OE ones and then jump the starter solenoid itself like you would on an older vehicle. If it cranks fine that way you have resistance in the wiring. Another fast test would be to measure the voltage from the battery to ground at the battery and at the starter, then with it cranking measure both again. That would also show if there was a voltage drop in the wires.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I'm not familiar with that tractor but if the starter is good, ground good, and voltage, have you ruled out actual resistance from the engine? Something like frozen alternator bearing or clutch or something dragging? Again, I'm not familiar with this model, just another thought.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I helped a friend one time with a frozen AC clutch on his pick up truck, we thought starter and battery sure enough the AC was frozen. It would nearly crank over