129 =Time for a new Engine

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

129 =Time for a new Engine

Post by BearKiller »

I have given up on the K301A 12hp in my 129.

I would like to go diesel, but anything I think about sort of derails also getting to use the PTO and mower deck.

I am considering going this route:

http://shop.kustomlawnandgarden.com/KOH ... RED_c4.htm

I would like to step up in power as well; how much physical difference is there between my 12hp and a 14hp or 16hp ?

Are they outwardly the same ?

If I get a short block, will all my stuff from the 12hp fit on the 14hp or 16hp ?

I would really love to convert a Kohler K series to diesel; has this been done ?

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: 129 =Time for a new Engine

Post by JMotuzick »

Can’t say anything about a custom engine.

The 14’s are the same base block as a 10/12. The flywheel does not appear to come with the engine in your link. Of corse the shroud needs to be changed with the flywheel. The flywheel is bigger on the 14/16’s. The muffler and the carb is also bigger on the 16’s.

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

JMotuzick wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:37 am
The flywheel does not appear to come with the engine in your link. Of corse the shroud needs to be changed with the flywheel. The flywheel is bigger on the 14/16’s. The muffler and the carb is also bigger on the 16’s.
Thanks for the info about the flywheel and shroud differences.

How does that $729 short block deal compare cost-wise to me gathering the necessary components, hiring the machine work, and doing the assembly myself ?

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Interesting site I bookmarked on kohler replacements. Shipping might cost you a bit and I didn't read if they use OEM parts or not but I personally find that price great. Those engines lasted 40+ years so a correctly redone one should be the last time you worry about it.

Doing it yourself probably won't save that much. Getting yours bored over will cost $50-80 at least IF you can find anyone to do it. Plus valve work and crank ground if needed and checking tolerances while in there or worry about premature failure. Couple hundred dollars plus governor gear for rebuild kit or more if you don't go with cheap aftermarket which I've personally had fail over time. You could hit that number or at least close to it doing it yourself and no warranty on the work.

For me personally the issue would be finding anyone to do the work local. I currently can't even get anyone to work on my 80's transmission and rear end because it isn't what companies do anymore. A lot of what I know how to do is because I have older stuff and no one wants to even call back or consider working on anything older. Try getting anyone local to properly tune an IH 392 engine and carb or change the rear end gear ratio or fix the AC for modern R134a. Needless to say I reluctantly now know how and not because I have any interest in doing it at this time. Rant over but you get the idea. We have old stuff and what we can't do ourselves often is hard to source and thats a professional rebuilt engine done for under $800. Now if you know a good place local that will take your engine, check everything inside, do the work and let you know what needs redone yes you can save a few hundred bucks I'm sure.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

That is sort of how I was thinking = $100 here and $200 there and pretty soon I will have overshot that $800 deal.

I have a guy just up the road who builds competition Kohlers for pulling; he is pretty well versed in everything and knows where to take them to get the machine work done.
I am going to talk to him and see what his thoughts are about building the engine I have as opposed to getting one of those - him doing all of the meticulous work.

If I read the fine print correctly, those prices include shipping both ways, new engine to me and core back to them.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

That's one heck of a deal then on an engine in my opinion if done right and I imagine they are.

Another quick option having someone that knows the Kohlers so well is let him bore yours out a little and tweak it for the extra hp you wanted without having to change to a bigger engine and source a flywheel and shroud on top of it. He'd probably know where the breaking point is of an engine meant to run 10 seconds vs a strong engine meant to run all day with plenty of hp. Then it may not matter to you but you'd have the original engine plus some hp.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

mortten
First and Last Name: Doug Anderson

Post by mortten »

I’ve never used them but plan to in the future. Know a couple of people that have been happy with them. And they’re only an hour away. They will rebuild your specific block if you want. I’m going to have them do the original engine from my Dads 122. I will drop it off and pick it up to save a little coin.

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

I recently saw a Cub Cadet 1810; I didn't get to investigate it, as a kid was all over the place on it, never still for a minute.
Had the thought occurred to me at the time, I would have flagged him down and checked under the hood.

After doing a bit of research, I see that it has a Kohler M18 - 18hp 42ci 2-cylinder engine.
The deck looks no different than the one under my 129; and, it appears to have the same style deck drive belt routing.

The specifications say "Electric PTO Clutch"

This bit of investigation tells me that the M18 must have the same style crankshaft as the K series engines.

If I were fortunate enough to find an M18, how much of a chore is it going to be to drop it in my 129 ?

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Your going have to give some back story. Is this 129 your pride and joy? Has this been handed down from your family? Is the 129 in great condition? Why does the 129 need a new engine? Why would you consider an 18 horse twin vs single cylinder? Maybe I missed it but let us know some of the pieces we are looking to fit into the puzzle. My opinion is a different engine swap is typically harder because your doing lots of fabrication and cobbling. Very often they turn out like crap and you will have ruined the tractor for life. I guess it all depends on your end goal.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

As much as it pains me……Dag makes a good point.
Wide frame were built for the engine to set down in between the frame rails where as the 82 series and newer had lowered rails so the engine went over the top.
Trying to fit an opposed twin in a wide frame, while possible, is going to be a tough fit.